February DIY Challenge (2024)

Cassel

DIY-Challenge.jpg

This challenge has had great success in the past so we can continue to have it on a regular basis, don’t you think?

Just like those “some assembly required” kits that you can buy for a shelf, a chair, or a picnic table, I am including a 3600×3600 pixels canvas with some shapes.

You HAVE to use the shapes in the size and proportions they are. You can move them, rotate them, flip them, and rearrange the layering if you want but you cannot resize them.

You need to use ALL the pieces but you can add more if you want.

So it is like all the pieces to build a DIY shelf: you cannot change the size of the pieces but you can use them creatively.

Obviously, you will want to recolor them or replace them with papers, photos, etc. We just need to be able to recognize the initial shapes.

Here is a preview of the shapes involved. Because of the size of the shapes, there can be overlaps. Will it be for papers or photos or both? That is up to you! And this time, I am including little dots. How will you use them?

spacer.png

Click here to download the layered template.

Post your projects in the gallery.

• Like 1

• Cassel pinned this topic

My entry for the DIY Challenge. Using a photo of Deb and Aaron in their Airbnb on vacation in Inverness, Marin County, CA, and her photo of the beach as background. The clusters at the bottom are the same size as the larger rectangles in the template + an addition. The tag top left is a combo of the two small square elements in the template. I added more dotted areas; I like the effect. The frame and all other decor came from the ID-Circle of Life mega kit. The font used on the tag is Baskerville Old Face.

DIY-2024-FEB-DEB AND AARON-INVERNESS_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I stayed rather close to the DIY-kit and used all the elements as they were, but reshuffled them. In the big square is a photo of a drawing my eldest granddaughter did. She loves drawing and is taking courses to make a portfolio to get into a highschool that will have extra courses in arts. All the papers are from this month's Blog Train and by Jan Clark and Nellie Bell. I made 2 extra squares and they have brush prints on them; the other butterflies are from my collection and the butterfly outlines are preset shapes. The flowers are by Jessica Dunn, my own postage stamp, recolored dots and the font is Hobo. I think I have it all, nice to be back to scrapping, however I'm not saying goodbye to scripting either.

DIY-2024-Butterfly-600.jpg

• Love 9

Last week, I was in Fredericksburg, VA visiting my daughter. Her dog, Clyde, is quite a character and a lot of fun. I made a pattern from his blanket and used it to fill the middle dots. I just used a color from the blanket for the other dots. The font is Madelyn Heart from Creative Fabrica. The bone is a preset shape with a texture from Creative Fabrica. The photos are mine and my daughter's. I used the open as a layer and clip to it scripts for the pictures. I loved how he would drag his blanket from the floor to the couch so that he could lay on it.

dsclyde.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

8 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2024121RonandBonDIY-2024-01600.jpg.abb41015c440f73e86a11a571880d27a.jpg

I recently participated in a pickleball clinic. One of the instructors was Ron. He is nationally and internationally known referee for pickleball. Just had to have a picture...

Wow, Bonnie! This has to be the best D.I.Y. result. I love the dotted background for the title. Very creative! Is that a font or an alpha?

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 6

• Cassel unpinned this topic