Anyone from Australia to help me find someone?

Cassel

This is a worldwide community and I am taking a chance. I would love to reconnect with an old pen pal I had in my teens and early twenties.

Her name was Sharon Philpott and she was from Tasmania. I had a picture of her with a banner as she was Miss Tasmania Junior, maybe around 1973-74 or so. She had three younger brothers and no sister.

When searching a while ago, I had stumbled upon an article in a health magazine or something about a lady with that same name and from the photo, she would be around the right age (about 61-62). It was in Australia, but I cannot find that link anymore. I had sent an email to the magazine/newspaper asking for additional information but never received any reply at all so I am not even sure if they received it.

Would anyone be able to help me find and connect with her?

14 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Nowadays, due to all those privacy measures, it is more difficult than ever to find someone from your youth. Good luck with your search. 

I know. But I HAD found a paper with a photo. If only I could find that again!

I reached out to a friend from MSN Forum days:

Hi, Kate. This is Bonnie from PSP forums from long ago. An online friend of mine, Carol Asselin, posted this request on The Scrapbook Campus. She is the founded and instructor there. Her message:This is a worldwide community and I am taking a chance. I would love to reconnect with an old pen pal I had in my teens and early twenties. Her name was Sharon Philpott and she was from Tasmania. I had a picture of her with a banner as she was Miss Tasmania Junior, maybe around 1973-74 or so. She had three younger brothers and no sister. When searching a while ago, I had stumbled upon an article in a health magazine or something about a lady with that same name and from the photo, she would be around the right age (about 61-62). It was in Australia, but I cannot find that link anymore. I had sent an email to the magazine/newspaper asking for additional information but never received any reply at all so I am not even sure if they received it. Would anyone be able to help me find and connect with her?

Any suggestions you could offer on how to search Australia would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Bonnie I don't know if I can help but will try. Does Carol know Sharon's birthday? What town/city in Tasmania did she come from? I might be able to search the Births, Deaths and marriages of the town/city in Tasmania

Thank you, Kate. I'll ask her.

If successful, it may be a start to find her

20 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Hi Bonnie I don't know if I can help but will try. Does Carol know Sharon's birthday? What town/city in Tasmania did she come from? I might be able to search the Births, Deaths and marriages of the town/city in Tasmania

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I was looking whether I might still have old letters from her, but it might have been discarded when we had water damage in the basement. That is the first thing I would have wanted to find. Same with her picture with the Miss Tasmania Junior banner she was wearing (with her three younger brothers). I assume there should not have been many Miss Tasmania Junior!

6 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Sharon Philpot is probably married with a new last name by now, but in case that isn’t true….try this lady.  https://www.facebook.com/sharon.philpot.37

I joined Scrapbook Campus instead of Ancestry.com, or I’d offer to look it up for you. (it being her marriage to get her new last name)

If this is a picture of her, she might be a bit too young.

As for her name, I know that she might have changed it, but she might have done like me, and never changed it even if she married! 🙂

On 11/6/2023 at 3:15 AM, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Might be a local newspaper is willing to search their files about Miss elections. They usually keep their photos for a very long time. A long time ago I took a course and needed some visual material, so I boldly went into the editorial office of a newspaper and they helped me.

Yes, it seemed like something local, but I have no idea where to look.

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Yes, it seemed like something local, but I have no idea where to look.

It might be worth it to get a subscription to Newspapers.com (an Ancestry company). I have been using it for genealogy research so I just checked to see if it had Australian newspapers... and it does. You can enter a name and have it search all newspapers or narrow it down to a location. You can even have it search specific decades of year.

There is a free trial although I don't know how long it is for, maybe 7 days?

Although it may not have papers from the area you want. I do know that the website is constantly adding new papers. There are no papers from my county in there at this time but luckily the names I've been searching are in some papers that are already there... broke down a brick wall with what I found!