August DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

46 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Yikes Ann!  They are mutant bugs.  They are freaky.  I have never seen one, not even in a zoo.  Of course we might even have them here, they are masters of subterfuge (SP?).  See, they are evil....mutant evil bugs!  kidding, it's really cool you get to see them.  I must ask (with toes curling upward) how big are the invasive ones. 

@Susan Ewart Here's the official data from National Geographic in this image.

praying mantis national geographic data.jpg

20 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

See... they really are evil bugs.  They are masters of disguise, I lived most of my life on the West coast and never saw one.....for that, I'm eternally grateful.  thanks for taking the time to do some research, now I know just which areas to avoid.  I can imagine if I was walking along and saw a "stick" move I'd jump out of my skin. 

@Susan Ewart Don't know if you are familiar with an art "installation" called the Spiral Jetty that was created back in the 1960s on the edge of the Great Salt Lake in Utah. The "artist" was Robert Smithson and he was well known in those days for his innovative creations that were, even then, addressing climate change. Well, he's the "boy" who lived upstairs from me in New Jersey who brought home the Mantis cocoon and thrilled his mother with thousands of baby bugs on his porch. ?

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I wouldn't call a preying mantis a stick insect. They walk, jump and fly short distances. The females are renowned for eating the male after copulation. A neighbor boy brought in a cocoon on a stick and ended up with hundreds on his enclosed porch. Of course, they eat each other as their first meal. I'm surprised they're not prevalent in your area as they are very common here in NY. Lately there has been an influx of an "invasive" giant version that is not as benign as our native one. They are known to "prey" on hummingbirds so I watch to keep them away from my feeders. 

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

See... they really are evil bugs.  They are masters of disguise, I lived most of my life on the West coast and never saw one.....for that, I'm eternally grateful.  thanks for taking the time to do some research, now I know just which areas to avoid.  I can imagine if I was walking along and saw a "stick" move I'd jump out of my skin. 

When I look at nature I always take into consideration the  positive side first.  Praying Mantises are beneficial insects to humans only outside of it's native habitat.  Hence introducing them into parts of the world where they are invasive, as the native creatures aren't aware  of how predatory they are,  and can do untold damage to  the fine balance of  the eco system.  They are also an important food source for other creatures, such as birds.  Can they hurt humans,  I would say  no, or very unlikely.  As they don't have venom or a stinger. A bee/wasp with a stinger is far more dangerous to humans than a praying Mantis.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

When I look at nature I always take into consideration the  positive side first.  Praying Mantises are beneficial insects to humans only outside of it's native habitat.  Hence introducing them into parts of the world where they are invasive, as the native creatures aren't aware  of how predatory they are,  and can do untold damage to  the fine balance of  the eco system.  They are also an important food source for other creatures, such as birds.  Can they hurt humans,  I would say  no, or very unlikely.  As they don't have venom or a stinger. A bee/wasp with a stinger is far more dangerous to humans than a praying Mantis.  

Very true.  I've been stung when stepping on a nest twice in my life.  I have a healthy (or maybe UNhealthy) fear of stinging bee/wasps. It's like the starlings in the lower mainland, they are invasive.  You are a champion of the bug world and slowly I am being converted.  To the point that I made a bug hotel and and ant spa, well a place for the ants that the birds use to dirt bath in or have the ant spa treatment.  If I did come across a 1.5 foot tall Praying Mantis I'd be the one praying for my life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Very true.  I've been stung when stepping on a nest twice in my life.  I have a healthy (or maybe UNhealthy) fear of stinging bee/wasps. It's like the starlings in the lower mainland, they are invasive.  You are a champion of the bug world and slowly I am being converted.  To the point that I made a bug hotel and and ant spa, well a place for the ants that the birds use to dirt bath in or have the ant spa treatment.  If I did come across a 1.5 foot tall Praying Mantis I'd be the one praying for my life. 

I think I wish I'd used a picture of a katydid in my layout instead of the preying mantis! I thought we had them around here, but I've never seen one big enough to make me run!...or pray. They do look like big walking pieces of sticks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I think I wish I'd used a picture of a katydid in my layout instead of the preying mantis! I thought we had them around here, but I've never seen one big enough to make me run!...or pray. They do look like big walking pieces of sticks.

Never fear, that's the beauty of PSP, you can always change the photo.  As katydids are also large and a  beautiful foliage green, and will blend in perfectly with the colour scheme you used.  The true katydid is the famed singer of Katy did, Katy didn't.  They are also called Longhorn Grasshoppers.  I have several species of them here, all of which I have macro shots of. I'm sure there will be an opportunity for  you to use a Katydid in  a project.   It  really wasn't my intention to put a spanner in the works with my initial comment, as I did think it was a lovely photo of foliage, and then got the 2 insects mixed up.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Never fear, that's the beauty of PSP, you can always change the photo.  As katydids are also large and a  beautiful foliage green, and will blend in perfectly with the colour scheme you used.  The true katydid is the famed singer of Katy did, Katy didn't.  They are also called Longhorn Grasshoppers.  I have several species of them here, all of which I have macro shots of. I'm sure there will be an opportunity for  you to use a Katydid in  a project.   It  really wasn't my intention to put a spanner in the works with my initial comment, as I did think it was a lovely photo of foliage, and then got the 2 insects mixed up.   

I enjoyed our rounds in this post of the forum.  and I've learned things too. Art that leads to conversation, very cool.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Susan, I'm chuffed to bits that you have made an insect hotel, and thrilled that  my passion for  the world of insects is rubbing off on you. What you need to remember is that insects are generally shy, and  fear humans and their  predators far more than you will ever fear them. it's only when they  are crushed or threatened, that they will with sting, bite or whatever.   Humans have a lot to answer for  with regard to introducing species  for the their own purpose, as they  really do upset the delicate  balance of nature.  I have failed to eradicate the  House Sparrow, but succeeded with the  Starlings, which take  nesting sight that belong to native woodpeckers, such as the Northern Flickers, and  the Downy/Hairy  sapsuckers.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Susan, I'm chuffed to bits that you have made an insect hotel, and thrilled that  my passion for  the world of insects is rubbing off on you. What you need to remember is that insects are generally shy, and  fear humans and their  predators far more than you will ever fear them. it's only when they  are crushed or threatened, that they will with sting, bite or whatever.   Humans have a lot to answer for  with regard to introducing species  for the their own purpose, as they  really do upset the delicate  balance of nature.  I have failed to eradicate the  House Sparrow, but succeeded with the  Starlings, which take  nesting sight that belong to native woodpeckers, such as the Northern Flickers, and  the Downy/Hairy  sapsuckers.  

I have learned to stay still when they are around me as opposed to my usual freak out with flailing arms.  I've learned a lot from you, which I thank you.  The natural world is very interesting and is probably the best therapy I can get.  Well, retail therapy IS a close second ?. ...and insects, well it's a worthwhile work-in-progress. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

I have learned to stay still when they are around me as opposed to my usual freak out with flailing arms.  I've learned a lot from you, which I thank you.  The natural world is very interesting and is probably the best therapy I can get.  Well, retail therapy IS a close second ?. ...and insects, well it's a worthwhile work-in-progress. 

Years ago, I watched friends who flailed around and flapped their arms and screamed....and I thought, I don't want to do that. So I have rarely been stung or bitten b/c I just sit quietly and don't move much. I have no intent to harm them, and I hope they can sense that. Sue's wonderful philosophy is something I admire and respect.

• Love 2

•✿• How I loved reading this!
My property ( even the crops ) have MANY praying mantises & stick bugs (Phasmids).
The Mantis is crucial to the crops as they kill the grasshoppers that can destroy everything it lands on.
If you want to attract the mantis, plant dill!  I believe that is why I have as many as I do.
Some cultures see them as a sign of good luck & fortune. We can all use that! 
Many Native Americans believe that they came before the creation of man as well.  
Very beautiful in my opinion. But the stick bugs.. EWWww!
For some reason they bother me unlike the mantis.
They walk quite creepy,  jerking their bodies as they move.
I freak out when one lands on me! HaHaHa

The ladybugs!
@Julie Magerka Your layout is lovely!
I love ladybugs!  Crucial to the crops indeed.
I don't use harmful poisons that in turn contaminate the soil, thanks to them.
I have to keep an eye on some certain plants in my veggie garden though,
as some plants are their favorites to eat (Like my beans, spinach and carrot tops).
I find them in the house quite often too, but thankfully, I have never been taken over by them. 

I enjoyed this conversation! Thank you! = )

Edited by Jenifer Lyn
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

•✿• How I loved reading this!
My property ( even the crops ) have MANY praying mantises & stick bugs (Phasmids).
The Mantis is crucial to the crops as they kill the grasshoppers that can destroy everything it lands on.
If you want to attract the mantis, plant dill!  I believe that is why I have as many as I do.
Some cultures see them as a sign of good luck & fortune. We can all use that! 
Many Native Americans believe that they came before the creation of man as well.  
Very beautiful in my opinion. But the stick bugs.. EWWww!
For some reason they bother me unlike the mantis.
They walk quite creepy,  jerking their bodies as they move.
I freak out when one lands on me! HaHaHa

The ladybugs!
@Julie Magerka Your layout is lovely!
I love ladybugs!  Crucial to the crops indeed.
I don't use harmful poisons that in turn contaminate the soil, thanks to them.
I have to keep an eye on some certain plants in my veggie garden though,
as some plants are their favorites to eat (Like my beans, spinach and carrot tops).
I find them in the house quite often too, but thankfully, I have never been taken over by them. 

I enjoyed this conversation! Thank you! = )

Between you and Sue Thomas we are going to be learning a lot!  By the way, you have the gift of words.  You write very well.  On a side note, the sunflowers are starting to bloom...even if one is a 9' mutant, I will love it just the same as the little 3' one.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

Whew, it was hard to use all those layers.  I was tempted to skip a couple of them, but then it would not have been right for this challenge because it says to use all of them.  One problem I had was with that many layers going ( I guess I should have reduced the picture file sizes before using them) I wound up with such a large project that my PSP 21 program was taking forever to do anything . Even when I just clicked on (file save as or resize image etc. it was taking so long I though it was frozen.  When I was about to give up on saving it as jpg so I could post it, I finally just left the program run while I did some chores and when I came back later I was able to save it.   Yes, Penny is my nickname and Tom is my hubby of 54 years.

MY DIY 2023 08 .jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

Whew, it was hard to use all those layers.  I was tempted to skip a couple of them, but then it would not have been right for this challenge because it says to use all of them.  One problem I had was with that many layers going ( I guess I should have reduced the picture file sizes before using them) I wound up with such a large project that my PSP 21 program was taking forever to do anything . Even when I just clicked on (file save as or resize image etc. it was taking so long I though it was frozen.  When I was about to give up on saving it as jpg so I could post it, I finally just left the program run while I did some chores and when I came back later I was able to save it.   Yes, Penny is my nickname and Tom is my hubby of 54 years.

MY DIY 2023 08 .jpg

That background photo is stunning.  Congratulations on 50 years.  And I'd never have guessed at your nickname.  My dad called me "Charlie", I have no idea where that came from, but I'm sure I ever heard him call me by my name.  It's now a warm memory for me.  He didnt have nicknames for my other siblings, not sure why.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

That background photo is stunning.  Congratulations on 50 years.  And I'd never have guessed at your nickname.  My dad called me "Charlie", I have no idea where that came from, but I'm sure I ever heard him call me by my name.  It's now a warm memory for me.  He didnt have nicknames for my other siblings, not sure why.

Thank You.  My maiden name was Pennington and I was called Penny from the time the nurse carried me out of the delivery room. The story is that my Dad said "There's my little Penny".  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Between you and Sue Thomas we are going to be learning a lot!  By the way, you have the gift of words.  You write very well.  On a side note, the sunflowers are starting to bloom...even if one is a 9' mutant, I will love it just the same as the little 3' one.

Thank you SO much, Susan!
That is so very sweet of you! ❥
I was just telling Sue that I was grateful with the things she is sharing.

Yea! You are getting blooms!
I am happy for you! 
Did you plant "annual's" - Surviving one season or did you get the 
"Perennials" - Returning every year?!

On 8/20/2023 at 1:57 AM, Susan Ewart said:

Here is my take on the DIY.  I should have called this Pink Power (or rather...Magenta Power in my book).  I went outside one morning and this stem was all wrapped up in spiders nest.  It looked like it was holding it together.  I've learned these are Cosmos.  I grew some in pots which turned out to be a good thing.  Then i can move them around for photos.  I have some in my tiny flower bed too.  Please dont think I actually know how to grow flowers.  This is a first for me.  I put a lot of stuff in the flower bed.  The packages all said to THIN THEM OUT, when the seeds come up.  I thought NO WAY, what if I thin them out and ones left dont survive.  Well, it looks like a jungle, the little LBJs (little brown birds) love it.  I also tried growing sunflower.  the package said 6-7 feet tall...mine is reaching about 9 feet and still no flower.  It's a mutant.  Here's the details on the supplies

• Font: I love Myself (Creative Fabrica)
  • Paper for Scallop strip: DiHiller PSSep20 Paper 6
  • Paper for bottom straight strip:  Espy Background 2C (Espinoza
  • Paper for  top strip: cpjess-campout wood paid paper 08
  • All papers from Digital Scrapbook
  • Photos:  mine
  • PSP techniques/tools etc: graidents, bevels, texture (from Effects>Texture Effects>Texture and Texture from the Materials Palette), lowered opacity. 

I like the DIY challenges.  They are hard but it's nice to come up with a plan and make it different than everyone else's (that's quite hard when there is a lot of layouts).  

DIY 2023 08 -Friends-600.jpg

Susan, I especially love that while you did not resize you simply used only a part of the large circle and used a longer rectangle as another photo creating a very different layout. That, and the fact my favourite colour is purple!

1 hour ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

Thank you SO much, Susan!
That is so very sweet of you! ❥
I was just telling Sue that I was grateful with the things she is sharing.

Yea! You are getting blooms!
I am happy for you! 
Did you plant "annual's" - Surviving one season or did you get the 
"Perennials" - Returning every year?!

Annuals, and thank you for the explanation. I'm constantly asking my co-worker which is which.  Because to me annuals should means they come up annually.  But I guess perennial means forever so that wins. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Natalie Spooner said:

Susan, I especially love that while you did not resize you simply used only a part of the large circle and used a longer rectangle as another photo creating a very different layout. That, and the fact my favourite colour is purple!

Thank You Natalie.  I did a lot of nip and tucking-in of the elements.  Not resized as per the rules but just out of sight.  technically since I dont cut off outside my canvas, it's still there, invisible, but ready to come back.  Also some duplicating.  I hope that was allowed, I believe are allowed to add elements which is what I did with some of the thin strips, duplicate butt it up to the original ones.  I usually play it safe with blues and browns and this time because of the flower I went with bold Magenta (and some of it's relatives: Magenta-blue, aka purple and Magenta-red; aka I dont know what that would be called, to me, color or Hue, is called what they are made of), it's a very powerful and strong color. 

• Like 1