Newsletter chitchat - June 27

Cassel

I enjoyed your story.  how wonderful your picture found it's way back to you, thanks to an anonymous reader.  There is one about a 5 minute walk and two that are about 10 minute walk from my house.  they are the ones I had in my quick page.  As I mentioned, an owner had come out to tell me about the Free little libraries.  She told me the city encourages them and there is even a map on the city webpage of the locations.  I looked through them and as I always had a camera in hand I chose not to take anything home.  I will take some books with me on our next walks by them though.  They are fun and put a smile on my face when I see them.  

• Like 1

Yes, we do have a few 'little libraries' in our town.  I haven't used any myself, but when our children were little, we had our own 'little library' in the house. It was a small angular hall closet with floor to ceiling bookshelves all around and a light overhead.   Just enough room for a comfy foot stool!  That's where we often found one of the kids, especially our son who loved to read.  They also had books in their room, but this was our own 'little library'!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Here in my street was such a library, not for books but for films and music. CD ROMs and videos.

I brought them something a while ago. As well as equipment.

But it's gone now. I don't know if it was stolen or if they removed it. 

I'll ask after it what has happened. 

the blue one I did on my QP 7 also had only DVDs.  

• Like 1

It looks like this has become a trend everywhere. I think it's a good idea.

Here, I saw an old telephone booth turned into this little library. This is sponsored by the city.

I also saw a "little library" in front of a private house a few years ago.

I have the photo of the telephone booth, and will try to take one from the other. 

telephone booth-bookshelf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, Cristina said:

It looks like this has become a trend everywhere. I think it's a good idea.

Here, I saw an old telephone booth turned into this little library. This is sponsored by the city.

I also saw a "little library" in front of a private house a few years ago.

I have the photo of the telephone booth, and will try to take one from the other. 

telephone booth-bookshelf.jpg

It's a walk-in little library.  What a great idea.

• Like 2

We have them here, too, but we also have BIG beautiful libraries, so I don’t stop at somebody’s little one. I was at my big beautiful library just yesterday when, after spending 2 hours finding books I wanted, they announced the library had to be cleared immediately. I had to leave my books in my bag near my tables and chair. I just left them there, after spending all that time hunting them down and culling the ones I didn’t want. I was quite put out!

Meanwhile, my next kit is for the library, specifically the 150th anniversary of the Dewey Decimal System. LOL!  I don’t think there will be a big stampede for my kits, first tomatoes, now Dewey,  but the classification system is very important to me, and if more people understood it, I think it would be important to them, too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

We have them here, too, but we also have BIG beautiful libraries, so I don’t stop at somebody’s little one. I was at my big beautiful library just yesterday when, after spending 2 hours finding books I wanted, they announced the library had to be cleared immediately. I had to leave my books in my bag near my tables and chair. I just left them there, after spending all that time hunting them down and culling the ones I didn’t want. I was quite put out!

Meanwhile, my next kit is for the library, specifically the 150th anniversary of the Dewey Decimal System. LOL!  I don’t think there will be a big stampede for my kits, first tomatoes, now Dewey,  but the classification system is very important to me, and if more people understood it, I think it would be important to them, too. 

I love libraries too.  And my bestest friend for 46 yrs is book lover (and has an English degree) so I will look forward to your kit!

• Like 1