Punched out paper, Lab 13

Julie Magerka

I am embarrassed to say how many times I tried to create the paper as shown in Lab 13, Mod 6. I get the weirdest configuration when I flood fill with the image I have. I have checked and re-checked over and over the directions in the video and this is still what I get. I know it's me, but I can't figure out what precisely it is. punchedpaper.thumb.JPG.6146d3f62007341d094c48dd503a7254.JPGs!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I am embarrassed to say how many times I tried to create the paper as shown in Lab 13, Mod 6. I get the weirdest configuration when I flood fill with the image I have. I have checked and re-checked over and over the directions in the video and this is still what I get. I know it's me, but I can't figure out what precisely it is.

What you got is exactly what is expected. What is not matching?

7 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I am embarrassed to say how many times I tried to create the paper as shown in Lab 13, Mod 6. I get the weirdest configuration when I flood fill with the image I have. I have checked and re-checked over and over the directions in the video and this is still what I get. I know it's me, but I can't figure out what precisely it is. punchedpaper.thumb.JPG.6146d3f62007341d094c48dd503a7254.JPGs!

After looking at the Notebook PDF I would suggest you crop your original really small, right down to the edge of the black pattern, as shown on the top of this page. Your background is too large at this point. Using the smaller version as fill I think it will look like the demo.

Notebook 13-6 Punched Paper.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's after I create the punched hole on a canvas 200x200px and resize it down to 50x50 that I get the problem. When I flood fill on a new image, it shows only the small punched out shape with lots of spaces between. Looks so simple and yet I'm so bewildered by the results I get.

6 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

It's after I create the punched hole on a canvas 200x200px and resize it down to 50x50 that I get the problem. When I flood fill on a new image, it shows only the small punched out shape with lots of spaces between. Looks so simple and yet I'm so bewildered by the results I get.

The instructions as they are don't work for me. But, when I make the first punched out hole smaller than 150 and use a smaller canvas to begin with (150x150 px & flood filled with black), then it works, and I can leave the pattern settings at angle 45 and scale 100 with no strange results. Bloody mystery to me.

Thanks for helping, folks.

21 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

The instructions as they are don't work for me. But, when I make the first punched out hole smaller than 150 and use a smaller canvas to begin with (150x150 px & flood filled with black), then it works, and I can leave the pattern settings at angle 45 and scale 100 with no strange results. Bloody mystery to me.

Thanks for helping, folks.

I see. The problem is likely that when you resize, the box for "Resize all layers" is unchecked, so the design resizes but the canvas does not follow. Have a look and see if it is checked or not.

• Like 2

Julie,  I just made another test, unchecked  the box "Resize all layers" and got exactly the result you obtained the first time. I followed Caroles tip, my box was checked before, so I had not the "mystery" ?

resize all layers.JPG

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, libera said:

Julie,  I just made another test, unchecked  the box "Resize all layers" and got exactly the result you obtained the first time. I followed Caroles tip, my box was checked before, so I had not the "mystery" ?

resize all layers.JPG

That was the precise problem! When I saw Carole's comment about it, I finally tried and it works fine. Just one little tick-box overlooked and it throws everything out. Thanks for your kind help.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cassel said:

I see. The problem is likely that when you resize, the box for "Resize all layers" is unchecked, so the design resizes but the canvas does not follow. Have a look and see if it is checked or not.

Yup, that was it! Good grief, such a tiny thing but such a big impact on results! Duh.

• Like 1

Yes, just a little box and so much "mystery"... I added the screenshot in case you wouldn't see this part immediatly. It's like not seeing the forest for the trees sometimes. I must honestly say I wouldn't have known it, if Carole hasn't added this little but such important detail. Just chance for me that the box was already checked ?

Edited by libera
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, libera said:

Yes, just a little box and so much "mystery"... I added the screenshot in case you wouldn't see this part immediatly. It's like not seeing the forest for the trees sometimes. I must honestly say I wouldn't have known it, if Carole hasn't added this little but such important detail. Just chance for me that the box was already checked ?

So many little boxes and settings to pay attention to and adjust. It's an endless process of learning and watching the smallest details. More work than I want sometimes.

52 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

So many little boxes and settings to pay attention to and adjust. It's an endless process of learning and watching the smallest details. More work than I want sometimes.

And I don't always think of listing all those settings either!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, Julie Magerka said:

Well, Julie, it might not be as in the directions, but it would be an interesting paper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

I really appreciate when the settings show in the screen shot or the video. I forget which tutorial I was having problems with because following the directions just wasn't working. I wasn't getting anything like your example. If I remember right, there was one screen shot that showed the settings and once I used those, it worked.

I know you like to zoom in especially on the videos but sometimes being to actually see the settings really helps!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Absolutely, Julie,  it's good to learn every day and with PSP not difficult.... I often try to use the help topics, the user guide or "google" before I ask a question, but the matter is you don't always find the answer for a specific question.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cassel said:

Carole, you do so much for us and the campus, it's quite natural not to think of each setting-listing every time. And if we have a problem we can't solve alone, we simply ask here.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, Julie Magerka said:

I followed your instructions and this is what I came up with as a paper

MLS Paper Lab 13 Mod 6-1_600.jpg

• WOW 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:02 AM, Julie Magerka said:

The problem is likely that when you resize, the box for "Resize all layers" is unchecked, so the design resizes but the canvas does not follow. Have a look and see if it is checked or not.

Mary, here's how to fix that...