Newsletter chitchat - June 6

Cassel

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Carole, we are starting to see the smoke from the Eastern Canada wildfires. Are they near you? ?

Where are you located?

The biggest fire is in southern Nova Scotia, which would be about 6-hour drive from here (although less than that if in a straight line). Luckily, we had 2 days of heavy rain to help, although the big fire is still deemed out of control. There are also over 100 fires in the province of Quebec that might contribute to the smoke/haze too.

At this time, there are no wildfires near me. We'll see how it goes this summer as the predictions and the models indicate that it will be the worst year for wildfire throughout Canada. Crossing fingers.

16 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Where are you located?

The biggest fire is in southern Nova Scotia, which would be about 6-hour drive from here (although less than that if in a straight line). Luckily, we had 2 days of heavy rain to help, although the big fire is still deemed out of control. There are also over 100 fires in the province of Quebec that might contribute to the smoke/haze too.

At this time, there are no wildfires near me. We'll see how it goes this summer as the predictions and the models indicate that it will be the worst year for wildfire throughout Canada. Crossing fingers.

I'm in New York State, about 500 miles from Nova Scotia. The smoke has been filtering down through Maine, then Vermont and now here. It's said the air pollution in NY City is the worst it's ever been. The sun was effectively grayed out yesterday but better today. Running my air purifier constantly as I have COPD/Asthma. This photo from Kathleen Eastwood from my Hudson Valley in Pictures group illustrates how it looks here at sunrise lately.

352472558_3440924339490736_3388525030634991471_n.jpg

• WOW 3

32 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'm in New York State, about 500 miles from Nova Scotia. The smoke has been filtering down through Maine, then Vermont and now here

Yeah, I guess you are close enough to the biggest wildfire in Nova Scotia. It is said to be the biggest in the history of the province, and the last I heard, it is still out of control.

HERE is the map of the Nova Scotia wildfires.

As for New Brunswick, HERE is the map (I live around Bathurst, on the north part)

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Yeah, I guess you are close enough to the biggest wildfire in Nova Scotia. It is said to be the biggest in the history of the province, and the last I heard, it is still out of control.

As for New Brunswick, HERE is the map (I live around Bathurst, on the north part)

Wow I looked up where you live and it's beautiful.  Shameful I couldn't picture where NB was in my head.  What a great location, I bet there is a lot of historical buildings there.  Looks like I'll put that on the bucket list of places to visit and photograph (when we retire).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

What a great location, I bet there is a lot of historical buildings there.  Looks like I'll put that on the bucket list of places to visit and photograph (when we retire).

If you come over, let me know and I'll guide you!

18 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Wow I looked up where you live and it's beautiful.  Shameful I couldn't picture where NB was in my head.  What a great location, I bet there is a lot of historical buildings there.  Looks like I'll put that on the bucket list of places to visit and photograph (when we retire).

A drive along the St. Lawrence River to the east coast is such an amazing trip. The road winds along beside the river and the scenery all the way is spectacular! And you can see whales sometimes too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

I'd love to visit up there one day. Maybe Susan and I could meet with you. What a treat!! I just got home and in my travels I snapped a shot of our sun at Noon. Scary!

sun at noon 06-07-23.jpg

• WOW 3

All the way over here in Ohio, we are having air quality in the moderate to unhealthy range per AirNow.gov. Can't see smoke but when I was out earlier, there was a different smell to the air. It was in the unhealthy range at that time but has now dropped down to the moderate range. I had trouble breathing just the couple of minutes I was out.

I've decided to keep windows and doors closed today.

• WOW 1

With the air quality being what it is because of the wildfire, authorities recommend we use N95 masks if we have some and need to be outside. A lot more people have had those masks since the pandemic started! if not, I guess any mask can help to a certain degree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I'd love to visit up there one day. Maybe Susan and I could meet with you. What a treat!! I just got home and in my travels I snapped a shot of our sun at Noon. Scary!

sun at noon 06-07-23.jpg

Ann that would be at top of my bucket list.  I've met so many interesting wonderful people and would love to meet in person.  Sounds like Julie is close by so we all decend on Carole....she might run when she see's us coming. ?

Was your sun really red.  We had that too, a couple weeks ago.  It feels very apocalyptic doesnt it. One day when I go home from work there were no birds singing or even flying around and it was so eerie.  Stay safe and keep that air filter going.  My eyes and throat took a beating.  I have some of my gym equipment in our small garage (we have two) and I felt really crappy after my workout, then I found out we werent supposed to be doing strenuous activities outside.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

All the way over here in Ohio, we are having air quality in the moderate to unhealthy range per AirNow.gov. Can't see smoke but when I was out earlier, there was a different smell to the air. It was in the unhealthy range at that time but has now dropped down to the moderate range. I had trouble breathing just the couple of minutes I was out.

I've decided to keep windows and doors closed today.

We had to do that too.  It's amazing how much comes in the window and just how strong the smell is.  It affects you so quickly.  

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

A drive along the St. Lawrence River to the east coast is such an amazing trip. The road winds along beside the river and the scenery all the way is spectacular! And you can see whales sometimes too.

You can be my guide Julie.  And I can meet your animal menagerie.  

• Haha 1

Yes, that was the sun at Noon. I walked out of the house and saw a red light glowing on the first car in line and I'm wondering where's the red light coming from but when I got out from under the porch and looked up, I saw that weird sun. Looks like we're on Mars with strange moons floating around! ? There goes my sci-fi imagination again! ? And, yes, I was at the supermarket and a lot of people were wearing masks, though I don't think indoors is necessary with the smoke. I came home and got out my N95 and felt lucky to have them! Used them to lug in the groceries, anyway. ?

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yes, that was the sun at Noon. I walked out of the house and saw a red light glowing on the first car in line and I'm wondering where's the red light coming from but when I got out from under the porch and looked up, I saw that weird sun. Looks like we're on Mars with strange moons floating around! ? There goes my sci-fi imagination again! ? And, yes, I was at the supermarket and a lot of people were wearing masks, though I don't think indoors is necessary with the smoke. I came home and got out my N95 and felt lucky to have them! Used them to lug in the groceries, anyway. ?

I know, right?  Sci-fi imagination, I get that.  

• Like 1

I've had Fox News on this afternoon and they've been talking about it a lot and showing lots of images and live cams. They even said that because of all the people coming in and going out of their building, there is a smoke smell inside as well. Of course, not as bad as outside but after time it probably builds up.

What has been interesting is that they have shown a map (like radar) that shows the likely movement of the smoke in the next 2 days. Pittsburgh is going to hit hard and I'm on the edge of what will hit Ohio so the air quality here will be worse in the next couple of days. Looks like Friday might be the bad day here.

Unfortunately, I don't have any N or K95 masks, just the regular surgery masks and a couple of cloth masks. I hope it isn't too bad when I run my errands tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Have you thought about pop-cicle sticks?  You can buy an entire package of them at a craft store really cheap.  Then cut them at a uniform length, if you want.  Paint them any color or for that matter, stain them so they look more like wood instead of painted.

Just an idea.

Roni