Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

51 minutes ago, libera said:

I don't know what happened I replied  a few minutes ago but my answer "disappeared" after having clicked on "submit reply"?! So another try.

I found a few good online courses and bought a book written by a german photographer especially for this Lumix model. But you have to look at the videos and read the book without longer time gaps at the beginning of learning, like PSP practice. it doesn't make things any easier and you threaten to lose interest in between...

i surfed for John Greenco, (very interesting sites and youtube videos) and looked for my saved ON1 links, here are a few examples, but surely you already know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgXWS8xJY4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZVzzgTxys&list=PLE67992FC392ED625
https://www.youtube.com/@JohnGreengoPhotography       https://www.johngreengo.com/

https://www.on1.com/blog/     https://www.on1.com/videos/
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001834891-Workflow

Wow! thank you.  I have a lot of John G. tutorials from Creative Live.  they used to have really deep cut sales and I got them at a great price. John has moved on from them and the tuts are more $ now, but still worth it. John is from Seattle, WA USA, I grew up just across the border in Canada (Vancouver Area) so he is quite familiar to me and I love his style of teaching.  Another good one is Ben Willmore, but he's a PS/Lightroom master/educator. I've learned a lot about photography from them both and some editing concepts (from Ben) that I think can translate to PSP.  Watching Ben W is why I chose ON1, because they have similar sliders and editing capabilities that I want to learn.  I found ON1's tutorials at their site(and they sent me all the links too).  they are cool, quite a number I have downloaded give you the  video files and practice photos to follow along.  The subscription to PS/Lightroom is insane, it's like buying a full photoshop every year.  And I have a lot of Creative Live vids from Fashion/Portrait photogs, not because I want to do that but because they are the masters of lighting control and I like to shoot in the studio (such as that is).   

You are right about practice.  Finding the time to learn it all is daunting.  I'm trying to figure out when to devote time to editing, PSP, color practice, photography and most importantly...being most attentive to the two fur-bosses (cats). 

I have a camera that I keep in my purse at all times.

My first Canon camera was the Powershot A95 and it was a workhorse even after I dropped it on stone and got the casing all scratched up. The lens was still fine! I did have a problem when it was 6 years old with getting nothing but purple on the photos. When I researched it, I found out it was a bad chip and it could be replaced for free. So I sent the camera back to Canon, they replaced the chip and returned it to me. I used it for a few more years after that! I also had a Canon S3IS that I would use for special occasions at that time. I then got a Canon PowerShot SX 540 but found it was too big for the purse so it eventually replaced the S3IS. I tried one of the really small Canon cameras and all I got were blurry pictures since my hands would shake when using it (same with a cell phone). I need something to grip so I sold it to a co-worker. One year I used my Christmas money from Dad to buy a Rebel T5. I have one extra lens for it. That was bought to use when I would travel except I haven't traveled since I got it! I do use it though.

A couple years ago I went on a search for a camera the size of my A95 and found the Canon PowerShot SX740. It lives in my purse! So I do have 3 cameras and they all get used. I love the SX740 since it is small but I'm able to hold it with one hand to take pictures when I walk the dog!

The main problem that I have at times is the settings on the different cameras. For instance, the Macro setting is right on the back of the SX740 and the SX540 but I have to dig deep to get to it on the T5. I always forget where it is!

I have made it a practice of taking at least 1 photo every day, no matter how mundane it is. Many of them are "practice" photos where I might be trying out some setting on the camera (like fish eye). I also was told about 15 years ago to get the camera off of "Auto" so you learn how to use it. I haven't gone fully "M" yet, but use "P" 95% of the time.

7 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I have a camera that I keep in my purse at all times.

My first Canon camera was the Powershot A95 and it was a workhorse even after I dropped it on stone and got the casing all scratched up. The lens was still fine! I did have a problem when it was 6 years old with getting nothing but purple on the photos. When I researched it, I found out it was a bad chip and it could be replaced for free. So I sent the camera back to Canon, they replaced the chip and returned it to me. I used it for a few more years after that! I also had a Canon S3IS that I would use for special occasions at that time. I then got a Canon PowerShot SX 540 but found it was too big for the purse so it eventually replaced the S3IS. I tried one of the really small Canon cameras and all I got were blurry pictures since my hands would shake when using it (same with a cell phone). I need something to grip so I sold it to a co-worker. One year I used my Christmas money from Dad to buy a Rebel T5. I have one extra lens for it. That was bought to use when I would travel except I haven't traveled since I got it! I do use it though.

A couple years ago I went on a search for a camera the size of my A95 and found the Canon PowerShot SX740. It lives in my purse! So I do have 3 cameras and they all get used. I love the SX740 since it is small but I'm able to hold it with one hand to take pictures when I walk the dog!

The main problem that I have at times is the settings on the different cameras. For instance, the Macro setting is right on the back of the SX740 and the SX540 but I have to dig deep to get to it on the T5. I always forget where it is!

I have made it a practice of taking at least 1 photo every day, no matter how mundane it is. Many of them are "practice" photos where I might be trying out some setting on the camera (like fish eye). I also was told about 15 years ago to get the camera off of "Auto" so you learn how to use it. I haven't gone fully "M" yet, but use "P" 95% of the time.

I love this.  My first creative love was photography (and later a job as a mini lab supervisor/printer) and I had put it down for years (due to the cost of film/slides and processing and not working in the industry anymore) then picked it up again.  I had used SLR's since I was 17 yrs old but got a PNS (point 'n' shoot) which was expensive.  I hated it.  The lag between pressing the shutter and it taking a picture left me with many shots of animals 1/2 way out of the shot.  My first dSLR was the Canon Xti in 2007 which I shot with up till 2017 when I was gifted with the Canon 7D (I would have never being able to afford to buy it new!).  It's almost twice the size, but it's a workhorse and I still use it.  That's why I chose to stay with Canon with the upgrade to the R7 (not as weatherproof or as robust as the 7D - according to John G.).  Canon does irk me a bit.  No lens hoods unless you buy a red ring lens (F2.8/f4 lenses with the really good glass).  Good thing there is amazon to fill in the gaps.  I was using the D7 and couldnt remember where the settings were.  Sometimes I wish for the simple style of the 70-80's film cameras.  My first owned camera: Ricoh KR10 - no it didnt double as a photocopier, but it sure could have been handy if it did.  The camera I learned on in highschool: Pentax K-1000 - even more primative than the Ricoh.   I love hearing about peoples journey through photography gear they have owned.  I always wanted to try medium format, but that was and still is WAY out of my financial means.

Still playing with vectors. The basic train shape was a preset shape from WmTransport font. I changed it quite a bit. I made Santa several years ago from a PSD tutorial before I really knew how to use the pen tool. The wheels are from Harold's pips font imported as preset shapes. The train tracks are from a vector dash line. I just noticed a few things that I have to tweak.

dssantatrain.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

Here is Vdectors Lesson 5. I am slowly making progressd. The Mountain range in Germany is called Watzman.

The Watzmann is a mountain in the Berchtesgaden Alps south of the village of Berchtesgaden. It is the third highest in Germany, and the highest located entirely on German territory. Three main peaks array on a N-S axis along a ridge on the mountain's taller western half: Hocheck, Mittelspitze and Südspitze. This majestic mountain offers hiking, climbing, a glacier & ice fields.

Anita-Vectors-5-Mountains2.jpg

• Love 8

Here is Lesson 6, with different PSP Tubes on a Rectangular shape. I used Carole's Tubes: Gold Rope, Blue Rope, Silver Lined Red Seed Bead String, and Opaque Seed Bead  Ivory String Tube. Thank you Carole for these great tubes. This was a lot of fun. Now I will continue to place text on a path around a letter.

Anita-Vectors-6-PSPTubes.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Anita, you are putting me to shame!!!

Cassel, I am missing something because near the end, right when you start adding the bottom text, which is 7:52 on the Lesson 5 Vector Video,  "reverse path" doesn't show up as a choice (it's grayed out).

In frustration, I clicked around trying to figure out what went wrong, and I fixed it. Um, but I don't know what I did because it was the equivalent of a PSP temper tantrum.  When I look at the settings, though, I am in edit mode (my half eaten tom and jerry fish is backlighted), but there is no instruction to do that!)

Is this enough of a question that you can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Updated to add -- I have been re-trying this and re-reading, and I have since deleted the top text (which would be visible, if the bottom layer were turned on, but it's not.) as per your photos, but it still isn't working. I cannot get the "reverse path" to be visible.

Question: When I duplicate, am I also duplicating the instruction where it has been converted to path, or do I have to do that again?

Lesson 5 Postmark.jpg

Edited by Suzy
  • Love 1

• 10 months later...

There's  a simple explanation Ann. Alicia clicked on the  previous  year's vector workshop  to post  her page, in error. The other day, I  received  11 likes from Cindy, all from posts  I  posted in last year's  vector workshop. It would appear Alicia, didn't  click on the  current  workshop.

• Thanks 1