BOOTCAMP January 2021

Cassel

Connie, your smudgy date looks quite realistic. It is an interesting idea.

Jacques, if you ever get more photos of that manger scene, you can even make a whole page just on its story!

Mary, hopefully, all those practices will give you more fluency with the various tools and techniques available and you can then use only the ones that suit your vision of projects. As mentioned before, some scrapbook projects are minimal and focus on the photos.

Lynn, I posted the same comment on the FB group: how long will that lizard tolerate a grasshopper on his head?? and the answer is probably... until lunchtime!

Leslie, you didn't put the drop shadows on separate layers? That is one way to give you the flexibility to remove a shadow and replace it as needed. I am glad that you found a way to remove it using the History Palette. I have a curiosity question: is a butterfly garden, a garden that specifically attracts butterflies? If so, what is included in such a garden?

Clarine, you look like you are already getting more comfortable with these projects and it is only the third one! For supplies, you can definitely grab some, either on the PixelScrappers site (although only 5 per day) or on other sites listed in the Resources page. But beware: once you start collecting supplies, they are like rabbits and seem to multiply! As soon as you start collecting supplies, make yourself a system to sort them.

Hi Everyone! Here's my take on Carole's Friendship page. I turned it into A Family Affair for some Bluebird photos I got from a friend. I admire his photo skills. So, this layout includes:

Three bluebird photos from the Facebook group: The Hudson Valley in Pictures, photos by Ed Frampton of Poughkeepsie

The font for all text is Harrington

The flower is from the kit: All That's Fall

The swirl is from the kit: Somewhere in Time

The pale background paper is from the kit: ALA-Hygge

I made the blue paper by choosing a color from one of the bluebirds

I have a folder with many glitter files; this one was the palest and then I used the color changer to replace any dark gray flecks with the blue of the paper.

The flying birds are from a kit: It's Beachy

The tree is from Corel's Winter Clip-art collection

The blue and white paper was in my folder with no label. When I went to use it, it turned out to be on a transparent background, like an overlay, so I added a layer underneath and flood-filled it with white.

Thanks for any feedback!

(Ed said he tagged the center photo: "Bluebirds discussing the housing shortage") :-)

Edit: I discovered that scaling down to 600 px from 3600 tends to make the small vector text break up so I went back and duplicated the vector layer and chose "convert to raster" on that layer in my .pspimage file. I made a new 600 px version for here. You can now read the text at the bottom.

Edit2: I found I disliked the golden swirl under the top left flower so I found the matching leaves from the same kit and now feel much better about it.

I really learned a lot on this Project 3.

Question:  When you were getting ready to add your poem, did you add a New Raster Layer or pick one that was already there?  I picked the one that had a swirl on it and typed on it as I couldn't tell if we were to create a new layer.

I did my 3rd photo differently as I really didn't want to shrink it! I tried to line up the guides at the top of all the photos and at the middle of the longer photo. I did the smaller drop shadows and larger ones.  I did a mirror image of the arrow to point where I wanted it.

a nativity scene over the years

I liked your suggestion so much that it took me several hours again. It took some puzzling and looking up old photos, but I am very satisfied. I made the border from a small piece, often duplicate and rotate, both 90' and 180 '

When I got married in 1969 we bought this nativity scene.

In 2011, when I moved into an apartment, the scene went to my daughter.

Annie T, that is quite a different style from your typical projects. Experimenting?

Ann S, I like that quote from Ed! You know, it is strange that vectors would get distorted when sized down as vectors are NOT supposed to change. I guess you found an example where it is not always exact.

Elaine, I am glad to see that you matched the size of the three photos without distorting them. That little girl is so cute; you would not have wanted to have any image distorted!

Jennifer, glad that you are learning a few things. If I could offer a suggestion is to tweak the placement of the paint spatter; it is on top of two surfaces and if you want to keep it that way, you would have to add a little technique that you can find HERE. Otherwise, try to leave it on a single surface.

Mary, to answer your question, whenever you add some text with the Text tool, it will automatically add a vector layer, so that is why I didn't have to add one manually. You have used that third photo very creatively. Since it is all lined up on the top and evenly placed from the edge, it looks very balanced. Changing the direction of the arrow is a great idea to lead the viewer's eye to the important part of your page (instead of the next page).

Julia, it is interesting that you placed the photos vertically instead of horizontally, but hey, if you used and practiced the same technique of resizing with the guides, that is what I wanted! Great job.

Annie, you are working very hard!  If I could give you two suggestions, it would be to have your text darker, since it is on a light color paper already. The other suggestion is to check on your shadows. Maybe you missed them when you had to redo your page. You sized the photos very well for this project!

Jacques, I am glad my comment led you to generate that project. I love it when pages tell stories like that. If we don't document them, who will?

Hello Bootcampers.  This is another for the Friendship project.  These photos of single beautiful blooms each mean something in a friendship.  The scrapkit was an Autumn collab from CDO.  The font used for the title is Sildetas Black.  Thanks for takin a peek.  ;)

I need help.  I am trying to resize to the 600x600, but when I do a photo in my layout goes really small.  So I clicked on a different photo in my layout and hit save and then that photo goes small.  What can I do to stop that?  Yes Carole, checking that box did the trick.  Thank you. 

This project is all about our 2.5 year old grandson enjoying a busy day at the lake.  He and Grandpa took a break after hauling wood.  Then a little casting practice and finally and most fun of all....throwing stones into the lake.

I keeping trying to download the fun kits but I  still can't get it to work. So, again, I use what I have on my computer.  I found the little turtle and shells on the internet.

I love the fun idea on how to frame each photo and the fancy cut paper edges.  So cool!!!

I found my PSPro Ultimate 64 bit program and opened it!  Created a short cut and deleted the other one. My work space seems so much bigger.

I still have a problem creating another Vector layer or raster layer when I finish the first word using Text Tool and want a second word.  I staid on the same Vector layer as my first word (Feed) and just changed the Font and color etc. and started typing the 2nd word (the). It put it on a layer below the vector layer for "Feed".  Then I did a third word. But when I wanted to move them, it put all the words inside the rectangle to move them.  Then when I went to do Drop Shadows they automatically all went into 1 Rastor Layer.

The only way I can see the Windows I have minimized is to use the Windows/Cascade command.  Even if I shrink the size of the picture on the screen to very small, the title of it doesn't show at the bottom - above the Organize. If I cascade them I see the name of each open window above the Organize Icon. Don't know if this is a 2021 feature but it wastes my time.

Thanks for always replying to my questions.

Cindy, I am glad to see that you are using those scripts. Remember when you didn't know how to run them?

Annie T, those are such warm colors in that layout! (and I need that with all the snow we got).

Clarine, that is a fun way to retell that story. I am glad the resizing works now. Aren't those little details fun when you can add them to a project?

Mary, here is a little trick that might help you. When the active layer is a Vector layer and you add another Vector shape or text, it will add another OBJECT on the same layer, so when you convert to a raster to add a shadow, all the objects in the Vector layer will become ONE. If you want to create different words on different layers, simply activate a Raster layer before clicking to add some text and the system will automatically create a NEW Vector layer. That way, separate words would end up on different Raster layers. As for the size of the images, did you try to check and then uncheck the Tabbed documents? Your project is very nicely done with proper shadows.

Annie: What beautiful colors! What interesting plants! What a terrific layout! It may be I need new glasses but I can't read the text on the right in the tan circular tag. If that's the Harriman system font, I had trouble with it when reduced so I had to go in and add a raster layer version and then I could read it when scaled down to 600.

Annie:  Wow, beautiful!!

Mary:  I feel your pain.  I am right there with you in the same boat.  But, every project gets easier and it looks like you are getting the hang of it.  Your project turned out beautifully.  GOOD JOB!!!

What I learned from Bootcamp:   EVERYTHING!!!   I am getting used to the shortcuts.  That helps.  But I am having issues with it.  When I do ctrl+c then go to the photo I need to paste it on and hit  ctrl+L many times it does not paste. I find myself hitting the ctrl+L several times and all that does is add another raster layer of the last layer I did.  I basically have to delete the extra layers, go back to the pic I wanted to copy and start again.  I should only have to do the ctrl+c  one time and then click on the photo I want to paste it to and then hit ctrl+L one time.  What am I doing wrong that it doesn't cooperate on the first try?

The other thing I appreciated learning that was major for me is the whole layer thing.   I didn't know a thing about it. Now I do.  (huge smiley face!!)

Bootcamp has been frustrating, overwhelming, satisfying, exciting, and wonderful.  I am truly enjoying it!!

Today is a baby day.  I get to hang out with my newest grandson.  Have a peaceful day everyone.

Clarine, the Copy and Paste function normally works fine, however, if you copy and it seems to only add a "blank" layer, it is possibly because there is a selection that is copied. Sometimes, that selection is tiny and you don't see it (it has happened to me too). In that case, you need to Deselect where you copy, to make sure any tiny selection is gone. You can do that by going to Selections > Select None or use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-D.

Another oddity of the copying function is that if the vector shape tool is active, it does not seem to copy to the clipboard, and when you paste, you get nothing at all. Just activate a different tool and it will work. This is an old "bug".

Hello Cassel For over 20 years I have been a volunteer in the internet cafe for people over 55 on Friday mornings. It started with slow computers and modems but nowadays everyone has a fast laptop top. But they now also bring tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The middle photo is from a holiday in Bali where I also gave some explanation on a Friday morning. The third photo is at my daughter's home where I am sitting at the table with grandson Guide. I changed the title with a wink. Jacques

Hi,

Catching up on Cassel's comments from earlier posts.

1 - Adventure - I've added greater drop shadow to the house element.   Also put it on a separate layer in case I need to make further adjustments.  See below.

2 - Project 3 - Butterfly Garden - Since I found the History palette I was able to make the changes to the drop shadow without putting them on a separate layer.  Going back in I don't have the option to view/change the shadows now so I will use "separate layer" in the future.  Also, a Butterfly Garden is one that is intended to attract Butterflies so it has flowers they like such as Butterfly Weed (Milkweed); Echinacea (Cone Flower) and Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan).  In my husband's case, he is also trying to find plants/flowers that are deer resistant. Finally, I mislabelled the flower on the left, it should read Hyacinth, not Iris.