BOOTCAMP September 2020

Cassel

Cassel: I did have a lettuce and tomato sandwich for my lunch, thank you for the inspiration! :-)

Now for today's homework, my first digital scrapbook page. I got the Good Life Sept 2020 bundle from Pixel Scrapper that I pulled out some papers, a frame and some elements. Then I followed your tutorial and spun it into this page. Your teaching is clear and precise so it made the daunting task quite easy. I am pleased with the result.

Hi, I am only starting now with the Bootcamp lessons.  Have just done No two with the sandwich plate and table.

I made my plate floral and for the coffee cup I filled it with a gradient.   I added the shadows, put a checkered tablecloth on the table and added some flower decorations.  I also recolored the cutlery.

I have been using Paintshop Pro for a couple of years now and have learned heaps from Carole (well trying to remember most things).   I do not usually dabble in Scrapbooking, only occasionally but prefer to use my photographs to have PSP make adjustments and that.

However I decided to do this Bootcamp for fun and to refresh memory and probably learn something.

This is my Table.

Wattle is an early sign of spring here and for the avid fishermen/women it means the yellowbelly (Golden Perch) fish will be 'on the bite'.

The papers and photo are mine, the stripe one is made from the wattle photo with 80% opacity.  The butterflies were in my collection and colourised  for a better match (well that was the theory) Bright pink and purple didn't look quite right!  Font is Annabel Antique Script.

While waiting for the next assignment, of course I tweaked the table/sandwich and the New Kid on the Block. With the table I totally forgot to use shadows. It makes a big difference! Just a few little tweaks on New Kid (forgot a shadow on the lower heart). Here they are:

Euca Euca: I decided you must be in the Southern Hemisphere: Australia or South Africa to be experiencing Spring now. We have Fall coming in and the leaves are turning.

Ann A, you will have other opportunities to use other photos! Do you happen to have PSP2021? It has great photo editing tools for underwater photos. I think your photo would be a great one to test those tools!

Ann S, out of curiosity, did you choose to use a white shadow for a specific reason? If you were to use a black shadow, it might be more consistent with the shadows on the other elements like the hearts and such. Yeah, you will find me quite annoying about shadows! ;)

Lynn, welcome to the Bootcamp. What was the last version you had before 2021? Is it a big change since your previous version?

Lavada, that is quite an interesting photo. Those wooden elements are particularly appropriate for that photo! when you posted your layout, did you resize it to 600 pixels? it looks quite large. Also, the second image does not seem to display properly.

Cindy, you are really impressing me. I do remember your first layout, HERE. Can you see the difference?

Nathalie, glad to see your first project and happy that the instructions were clear enough for you to follow. You will definitely enjoy that new hobby! :)

Jan, what a nice dish set! even without being a scrapbooker, you will see how those projects will still give you some practice with the PSP tools.

Euka, that striped paper is so obviously matching, I suspected it was made from the photo itself. That is a great way to have coordinating elements on a project!

Peter, it is interesting how you created your project in a rectangular format. Do you plan to print them? Just curious as a lot of people planning to print can only use that format since their printer is not wide enough for a 12x12 page.

Rick, in many projects, I would point out that the shadows are giving a floating effect to the elements, however, in your case, the composition is just what is needed for such a shadow since the various elements have that look of a "shadow box" where things ARE away from each other and not glued on the surface. Is it possible that it is missing a shadow on the image itself?

Signs of Spring-Lesson3

Here in Australia, Spring is in the air - flowers are starting to bloom and birds are looking to breeding.

This is my photo of Australian Rainbow Lorikeets last Spring when they had babies to feed and look after.  We get lots of these colourful birds and I took this on my balcony of the resident pair who usually have two babies.   Jan

Our Teacher Cassel,

IS  THE BEST MOST AWESOME, WHERE DOES SHE HAVE TIME MOST COOLEST TEACHER I HAVE EVER HAD

THANK YOU  I BOUGHT THE 2021 AND LOVE ALL THE SCRIPTS I HAVE GOT TO RUN,  THE WELL SOME LIKE CLIPTOIT  CANT WAIT TO LEARN.   I HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS BUT NOT AS MANY AS WHEN I STARTED.     YOU WOULDNT BEIVE HOW LOST IN A FOR i WAS NOW I CAN SEE,   I AM SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE OF YOU AND ITS HELPED ME WHEN ALL THIS VIRUS MADNESS STARTED.   I WAS ALONE FOR OVER A MONTH  AND WITHOUT YOU I KNOW I WOULD OF LOST IT.   THANK YOU FOR BEING ALL THAT TO ALL OF US.

ONE THING THAT FIRST ASSIGMENT I WAS SOAK AND WET WITH SWEAT AND HAD SO MANY FITS BUT NOW I AM REALLY GETTING THE HANG OF IT AND GOT THE RIBBON EXCEPT FOR PUTTING WORDS ON IT DONE.

Here's my Adventure project with a new photo of baby Sonya who is now almost 3 months old. She got a little buried in my daughter's sweater, as you can see.. all snuggled up!

Carole: Here's another version based on  your comment! Good idea! I also faded the pink flower using the brightness/contrast based on a mention of it by Sue Thomas in the Facebook group. Much better than reducing the opacity.

Hi all, getting a late start here but I plan to catch up this weekend. I started with version 7.04 and it's been some time since I have played in PSP extensively so learning 2020 may prove to be interesting. I have upgraded several times to newer versions since 7 but always revert back to using 7 because I know it well and am usually in a hurry to get something done but I am determined to learn the newer version. I did go in and do some tweaking to my settings but boy have things changed. I am using the light gray scheme, classic material properties,  document palette.

this is the first photo I picked (resized for posting) from our girls weekend getaway this year. Now backed to lessons.

Rick, adding shadows to a group that has a mask is a little challenging as you have to use a different approach than the regular shadows. If it is a mask group, you would need to merge the group first, and then, you could add the shadows. Is that beach sign somewhere you have visited or somewhere close to where you live?

Jan, such a colorful page for colorful birds! Great showcase.

Betty, you have a lovely page and you did great. However, did you forget the shadow on the photo itself? It seems to be the only one missing.

Nathalie, may I ask how you are inserting your image in the posts? They are small (that is ok) but don't enlarge when we click on them to see the details. With that wall of signs, have you ever considered using the Perspective Correction tool? Check this article if you want to square it.

Lavada, that is a lovely page with that fun photo. Will you have enough photos of that same event for all the pages? It would be fun!

Ann S, that snuggling Sonya is so cute playing peek-a-boo!

Cathie, that is a lovely photo. That will surely make a beautiful page. As for your setting, I see that you are using a workspace that resembles the older versions you have. I do the same as I also got used to those old versions (I still use 9 extensively for scripting).

Cassel: Thank you for your feed back. I was wondering why my photos did not have a name associated with them and  would not open larger when clicked like the other great work being shared.  Turns out I was embedding them in the post. I now see the "Upload Images" (I thought that was for screen shots only). I have not used the perspective tool before so thank you for that lesson. I did use it to correct the perspective of the track decal photo. I did use the new correction and also skewed it on  the lay out as for me it gave the impression of it coming at you with speed but a much better photo to work with. An improvement on the original for sure. Good reason to save your work as a PSP file!

Cindy, those buttons are awesome! They obviously match perfectly! I am glad you got that one script working. You seemed to have added some paint floating on top of the other pieces of paper. Try rearranging it so it is under the papers. It might look more logical (and you can remove the shadow to it as paint and ink have no thickness). Just a little suggestion.

Nathalie, glad I made you discover a new tool. Now you have options! Those uneven letters in the title of your second project are a great match for the theme!

Terry, welcome to the Campus and the Bootcamp. You didn't like the pickles in your sandwich? On your project 1, be a little careful with the shadows: large shadows will give the impression that the element or the photo is floating above the paper and would fall if you lift the project! On your project 2, did you use a piece of the image to make the greenish paper? It looks like a perfect match!

I visited the The Wintergarden in Auckland - it is a heritage protected site developed after World War 1 and houses an amazing display of flowers and plants.

All the papers and photos are mine.  I like using photos as papers and elements.  Not sure on the colour scheme tho!

And yes Ann, I am downunder in Australia where spring has arrived.

This is my Lesson 5 project.   The coming out of a hard cold winter to more summer season and the promise of better things to come.

My photo of a beach where I live, not quite full summer season yet when I took the photo.   I used a beach wave background paper.   The extras were from a kit called Clip Art for Summer.  I modified the clipart saying to read Time instead of view.