BOOTCAMP - May 2020

Cassel

Here is my Project #1

Background paper by Palvinka "We Love Summer" paper-2. I tweaked the color with Adjust>Hue and Saturation>Hue-Saturation-Lightness.

I created the Confetti Tube following Cassel's tutorial (Creative Scrap>Miscellaneous>Confetti).

Fonts: VAGRounded BT and Emily Regular

Our new granddaughter - Logan. I didn't have any 'kits' and the blue wasn't going to fit with the baby blanket so I went on-line and got some free 'background' and 'column strip' prints. I went to a few clip art sites and found hearts and the white embellishment - all as png or jpeg formats. It's my first attempt and I think I could do better with her name and positioning on the right side but I am pretty happy with how it's turned out. Thanks Carole for the information on how to save the projects - first as the psp format, second as the jpeg and third as a resize. Amazed at what all the participants have included to enhance their projects. I will get there. Looking forward to the next project.

Shirley, yes I know you are thinking outside the box!

Euka, it is great to see that even though you used almost exactly the same arrangement as in the lesson, the result is completely different. Good work on the shadows!

Glenson, the rubber duckie is a fun addition to the tub! Just out of curiosity, was your photo that small, or did you size it down? If it was that small, it is good that you didn't enlarge it. If it was larger to start, we probably would have loved to see those handsome looking guys! ;)

Mary, text is a tricky element to add shadows to. If you are using a font with a look like it would be made of cut out papers, then you would add a shadow. It it is supposed to be written on your project (handwritten or printed), then the ink would not have a thickness so no shadows. That is probably why it looked odd when you added some. Organizing your supplies will be important as you gather some stash of resources and projects you will create. So it is a good thing you are starting now to do it

Jose, you will not be kicked out of the class, don't worry. Your layout is similar enough to the lesson that I can recognize it, and it is great that you are explaining what you did as it will not only inspire others, but guide them to possibly try something similar. One thing I would suggest is to look at the shadows. I think you could use them more, especially on the photos that are framed with a color quite similar to the background.

Cristina, good idea to direct to the tutorial (although it is only for the DIAMOND members, so if you are not, you won't be able to reach it). Did you add some shadows to the confetti? Maybe it does not show because of the resize?

Marica, I agree with you that the blue kit that was suggested in the lesson definitely would not have suited this photo. You are pretty resourceful to have found all those elements and they blend together very well. As your first project, it is very good, so with more and more resources, you will feel more comfortable over time. Looking forward to the next projects.

Joy, I hope that exercise on layers was helpful.

Joan, isn't that great to have the option to change your mind? Can you imagine trying to do that to a paper project?

Cristina,  I couldn't agree more, there isn't anything that escapes Carole!  I  was up at the crack of dawn, had my  cup of tea outside with my usual digestive biscuit, while listening to the dawn chorus.  Watching the tree Swallows above me in the tree, close to their  bird house, inspired me to  create  todays  page.  I've tried to keep  the  page as close to the  tutorial.  Pardon the pun Carole!  I couldn't resist.   You say candies, and I say sweets!  Do you get it!!!!  :-)  Now for the page I created.  I used adjustment layers to create the framed photo.  Extracted the birds and branches from  a photo.  Corner punches, text on a curve, and  round candies script.   I moved the  letters around, placing some above, and other below each  other.  I'd like to congratulate everyone on such  beautiful pages, each and everyone is unique and creative.  Not to mention inspirational.  Well done.

Hi there, here is my second project on Day 5.  Must say I had trouble with the text tool.  I'm afraid this is my Achilles heel.  I then realised it was being entered as a selection, rather than a vector.  No wonder it kept "disappearing"! My background was used from a paper supplied by one of the free scrapbooking kits, but the two purple backgrounds I did myself.  One is just a plain colour fill, and the other is made by using the leather option under effects.  The embellishments I picked from the scrapbook freebies, and the wording I found on pinterest.

This is my busy bee picture ...

Day 5

This is to commemorate my grandsons graduation from the Naval Academy. I used photos that I took at the graduation except the one that I'm in. My daughter took that one. Ian was in the Naval Academy Band so I included that insignia along with the Naval Academy insignia.

Everyone is doing such great work...congrats to all.

Good evening. Thank you Carole for your recent tips and I think the moving of Selections may have sunk in to me now.

My chosen subject matter for Project 2 is A Midsummer Night's Dream using a photo I took at a production by The Lord Chamberlain's Men, last year. So sad we won't be able to go to anything like that this year. Funnily I believe there are lines in the play: “Take pains. Be perfect.” “If we shadows have offended, Know but this and all is mended". That's what happened.  My drop shadow effect on the title in my image just didn't look right on the fine type I had chosen so I left it off. I tried different values but none looked right. I did duplicate the text before trying to apply the shadow effect so went back to that. Is there a way of deleting the drop shadow if you change your mind though?

I decided to once again showcase my wife in today’s lesson. First, I got a kit where it was suggested to go. I actually got two…. LOL. I then chose the background from the kit. I then added a larger canvas size by 300 pixels. Changed the color to what you see. I then picked the selection tool and set the size by 25. I drew the selection on the blue portion of the background layer. Picked the chisel tool and put the color on white and transparent. That made the chisel effect you see. I deselected the selection tool. I then picked the three pictures. My pictures are very large from the camera. I do it on purpose as in the past I have messed up pictures by resizing. I resized one to my liking. I made the pictures all the same size by stacking them to size the same, then separating and put in order as seen as they are on separate layers. I picked the PSP frame and made sure that it was set up to do the layer only. I then added the rest of the individual items such as the tag, the travel and adventure lettering. The adventure letter “A” was done separately in order to give it that extra tilt. The plane was a tube from PSP. I picked the text that went on the label for place and date. Picked the color to the blue background. I then put a shadow on all the items I wanted to do. Finally, I added my signature which is a font I had made when I used WordPerfect a long, long, long time ago from a vendor in their magazine. I then rasterized the signature and placed it. Hint, if you sign with a font, it must be rasterized cause if you send the PSP file to someone, it will not show up if they do not have the same font on their computer. That’s it. I think I followed all the rules today….LMAO. A plus was my wife really liked it…LOL

Day 5 Lesson 2

I hope I got it right. I used the papers Carole had to download, but the first one  I used didn't blend in with the picture I was going to use. I got a regular layer, chose a color and then I used a pattern from Paint shop pro. The bottom one I colored it and used a pattern on it. The baby on the picture is my great granddaughter. Thanks Carole, I know I need a lot to learn but you are a great help.

I had No problems, I had fun with tubes and fun all the way thru. Thank You Carole, I am getting more comfortable like you said :) I am going now to use what you told me and hopefully I can turn in my last 2 lessons. thank you for all your help and patience.

HI  again

here is  the  photo  i  am  going  to  use    also    my workspace  i  chose med  grey  and  background  white   for  palettes  i  chose  materials  and  workspace  complete.

Now  ready  to  proceed    Really  looking  forward  to  being  in  the  bootcamp.  Thank you

Hello Everyone. I took this picture of an incredible waterfall in Jamaica. We ended up climbing the entire way up to the top stopping to rest in the pools that were formed by the cascading water. We also managed to get under a few of the waterfalls and get totally soaked. Enjoyed this project as I had to try and find a photo to work with the kit and then select appropriate components to build my page. I had a lot of difficulty with the text. I will try again tomorrow after reviewing the video again. I am confused with bringing the text to a different layer. With a good night's sleep and clear eyes, I will give it another go. Carole, I have a few questions. Sometimes I can't sit and do a complete project at one time. Should I be saving my work and if so, how & where, or do I just leave the program open on my computer? Currently I am saving 'kits' in a folder on my desktop. Should I be saving these 'kits' for future use in the program somewhere? Thanks.

Joy, very nice flower. I can see why you want to showcase it. Good catch on the repost with the shadows! On your title, you have used a white outline. Have you tried without that outline? I wonder if it would make the text a little easier to read? For your project 2 (Day 5), it is simple, yet effective for displaying your favorite photos.

Sue, just a quick question; is the Day 4 project one of the Bootcamp project or an extra you made? I am just checking so I can keep track of the projects posted.

Glenson, that title makes me smile as it is PERFECT for that photo!!! Good job in colorizing the paper to match the photo. That is the beauty of digital work!

Krystyna, I am glad you discovered that one detail with the Text tool that will make your life easier. Although it was not in the tutorial, I see that you are using elements that would (if done in traditional paper scrapbooking) fairly thick (the flowers and the leaves). Try to add a much larger shadow (like 25 or 30 of offset) with a blur of 30 but an opacity of 30 or so. See how it looks.

Lynda, that layout could definitely be framed!!! Nice result!

Fiona, to answer your question about the drop shadow, if you have applied it on a separate layer, yes, you could then remove that layer and add another one. If, on the other hand, you have not applied the shadow on its own layer, it is quite difficult to remove without messing up the rest. That is why I strongly suggest one adds those shadows on a new layer.

Jose, you worked hard and very efficiently on your layout. It is a great looking page. You have a great tip to rasterize anything that has a text if you are to send the pspimage version to someone else. I see you used a "fancier" A for the title. I can suggest that you read this article on using fancy fonts (if you can find some, you will see how addictive they can be).

Isabel, it is totally ok to not use the supplies I suggest if they don't fit with your photo or your vision of a project. And using existing supplies in PSP is also the simplest way to go.

Cindy, you are progressing very very well. I see that you resized the photo without distortion and you added shadows everywhere! Good job!

Theresa, nice photo for you to use. Your photo of John has some stains. We have some classes in the Master Classes to help with improving old photos. Something you might want to look into, in the future (not now).

Marica, when you want to stop working on a project but you don't want to lose everything, save it as a .pspimage format. That will keep all your layers intact and you can simply reopen it the next time you open your computer or your program. It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a .pspimage version, even when you are done, in case you find a typo or want to change something. For saving your supplies, I would suggest that you create a "main" folder called something like "Graphic resources" or "Scrapbooking" or even "PSP resources", then inside that, you can have one folder called "kits". Just make sure you start with a sort of organization right away, because those supplies multiply faster than bunnies! You have a look at this article on organizing scrapbooking supplies. On your project, I think you might need to add shadows on the photo and paper, and I am not sure the white element needs some. It looks like a paint splash that would likely not have enough thickness to need a shadow. Try and see how it looks.

Shirley, nice and simple. That photo is great on its own!

Not overly happy with the papers (all mine) but this is for my son and these are the colours he wants. The plaid and texture of the smaller papers don't show very well when reduced and the background paper actually started as wattle flowers.  The picture is of  rooms that used to house the single miners and the smaller one is an old radio on site.

Here is my day 3 layout it's the first one I've ever done and it was easier than I thought it would be not one bit of anxiety I used a kit by Farrah 's Designer Scraps called All Boy I love the colors.