Newsletter chitchat - March 26, 2024

Cassel

How has the weather been in your area?

Was it better? Worse? Extreme?

Do you have pictures of the last season? 

Let's show off our special weather events!

Let's chat.

Not a whole lot of snow this winter for me. We did have extremely cold temperatures in January and the only snow that my neighbor had to plow my driveway happened January 19th. He got it cleaned off before my cousin and I returned home from Columbus after my surgery.

Now we are in the rain and thunderstorms season. Had a storm this afternoon although it rained with the sun shining... and a rainbow happened. I did get photos of it and there is a very faint double rainbow.

On March 14th, we had a terrible storm aka a tornado warning. I spent over an hour in the basement. Luckily the power didn't go out so I could still watch a news station that was carrying only storm coverage with reporters live in the viewing area. At one point it hailed and Peyton was barking at it since it was so loud. There was an EF-3 tornado formed and touched down just 3.5 miles from the city limits and hit a RV trailer camping area. Lots of damage but no serious injuries. The tornado ended up going over 31 miles and into the next county. In that county it touched down and destroyed many homes (most were mobile homes) in the Indian Lake area. 2 towns are on the south side of the lake and both had damage. There were many injuries and 3 deaths. It was still an EF-3 at this time.

I pulled drone images from Facebook and did 2 layouts about it.

2024 0315 Glacier Hills A.jpg

2024 0315 Glacier Hills B.jpg

• WOW 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

We've had flood watches and high wind alerts.  The cat cabin on my porch ended up out in the street. Luckily, no cats were involved. My little condo enclave here has been relatively lucky with the underground wiring keeping the power on and we're not near enough water to be impacted by the flooding shown in this photo from the newspaper. The watchword is "Turn around - Don't drown!" Some idiots insist on trying to drive through high water with deadly results.

Hudson Valley flood watch.jpg

• WOW 2

We had a tiny bit of snow.

Blooming Camelia and Magnolia in the garden.  Lilys of the valley and tulips in lots of gardens.

Most narcissus are gone.

The frogs already making love for 3 weeks. What a noise, mostly in the night.

• Haha 1

Like Chris we had a little bit of snow which had already almost melted when I went outside. I was just in time to make a photo with some snow on my little container with bulbs and I used that in the P52 challenge. Instead snow we had rain, rain and much more rain for the best part of December, Januari, February. It was quite depressing all those dark, gray days which at the same time had mild temperatures up to 5 or 6 degrees Celsius above average. Luckily March brought better weather with some sunshine and not so wet anymore but it still is changeable weather and Easter will bring more of the same. Due to the wet but mild weather spring is early with a lot of different trees and bulbs in flower. Over many shrubs and trees you can see a green haze coming and leaves appearing, but  hay fever season is starting as well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Like Chris we had a little bit of snow which had already almost melted when I went outside. I was just in time to make a photo with some snow on my little container with bulbs and I used that in the P52 challenge. Instead snow we had rain, rain and much more rain for the best part of December, Januari, February. It was quite depressing all those dark, gray days which at the same time had mild temperatures up to 5 or 6 degrees Celsius above average. Luckily March brought better weather with some sunshine and not so wet anymore but it still is changeable weather and Easter will bring more of the same. Due to the wet but mild weather spring is early with a lot of different trees and bulbs in flower. Over many shrubs and trees you can see a green haze coming and leaves appearing, but  hay fever season is starting as well. 

Snow? e didn't have any, we had some hail . I'm so fed up with the rain, I wanna go outside in the sun!

• Like 1