February ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - Siblings

Cassel

AAM-Challenge.jpg

Let's start a new challenge for all of us. We might often be the ones taking pictures but we are not the feature of our layouts, so let's change that since we ARE important and we have lots to say.

Every month or so, the layout will be about YOU, and a prompt will be given. If you have taken the Story Week Challenge, you will find some similarities but it won't be the same.

For the February layout, tell us something about your siblings. Do you have family pictures with everyone? Baby pictures of everyone? Do you have siblings or are you an only child? Of course, if you are an only child, you can also scrap about that fact. Did you wish you had siblings? Or did you love being an only child for whatever reason?

I guess I'll post this one here, too, as it fits the theme. I already posted it in the Mask Workshop. Since I'm an only child, I don't have any siblings though I did wish I had some when I was young. 

MASKS-LESSON FOUR-106 WOOD_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
add note about siblings
  • Love 5

I grew up as an only child, but in fact I wasn't! My parents had a child before me, also a girl which died at childbirth after a normal pregnancy. In those days just after WWII there was no way to interfere as we now are accustomed to. I only found out that I had a sister just by accident because nobody talked about it, although I always had a feeling something out of the ordinary had happened. My mother didn't even got to see her baby, let alone held it! It was thought that it was better this way, how cruel! When I was a bit older I came to realize that my mom was severely traumatized  and until her death never coped with it together with the trauma from living through WWII as well. Luckily my dad whom I adored was different, so my childhood was okay. My dad came from a large family and he was the youngest of 12 and I had lots of cousins but they all were considerably older than I was. The difference between me and the cousin above me was 14 years and when we had family gatherings I was the only little one and now all minus one are deceased.

I have only a couple of very bad photos and I used one of those for this layout, because it is characteristic of how it was. From the left side there are 3 aunties who were single and lived together in the family apartment and I was there quite often. To the right is my mom and we are practicing a song. My dad's side of the family is very musical; he played the violin, my aunt the grandpiano, another aunt a flute, my grandfather who had already died and an uncle played the organ in church. The rest of them was in a choir. I think I was about 3 or 4 in this photo.

I had to fix the very dark and faded photo to get something that I could use. It was ripped at the edges as well, which I kept. The street plan of Rotterdam is from the sixties and that fits in with my story. The instruments are dingbats called 212 Music Dingbats, the music staff is by Janet Scot and the font is Ana's Faded Typewriter which I think is fitting! The picture frame is in PSP. 

AAM-siblings-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

15 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I grew up as an only child, but in fact I wasn't! My parents had a child before me, also a girl which died at childbirth after a normal pregnancy. In those days just after WWII there was no way to interfere as we now are accustomed to. I only found out that I had a sister just by accident because nobody talked about it, although I always had a feeling something out of the ordinary had happened. My mother didn't even got to see her baby, let alone held it! It was thought that it was better this way, how cruel! When I was a bit older I came to realize that my mom was severely traumatized  and until her death never coped with it together with the trauma from living through WWII as well. Luckily my dad whom I adored was different, so my childhood was okay. My dad came from a large family and he was the youngest of 12 and I had lots of cousins but they all were considerably older than I was. The difference between me and the cousin above me was 14 years and when we had family gatherings I was the only little one and now all minus one are deceased.

I have only a couple of very bad photos and I used one of those for this layout, because it is characteristic of how it was. From the left side there are 3 aunties who were single and lived together in the family apartment and I was there quite often. To the right is my mom and we are practicing a song. My dad's side of the family is very musical; he played the violin, my aunt the grandpiano, another aunt a flute, my grandfather who had already died and an uncle played the organ in church. The rest of them was in a choir. I think I was about 3 or 4 in this photo.

I had to fix the very dark and faded photo to get something that I could use. It was ripped at the edges as well, which I kept. The street plan of Rotterdam is from the sixties and that fits in with my story. The instruments are dingbats called 212 Music Dingbats, the music staff is by Janet Scot and the font is Ana's Faded Typewriter which I think is fitting! The picture frame is in PSP. 

Such a sad story...............

• Sad 1

My story is similar to Corrie's. However, I was first born and, like Corrie, had a sister who did not survive birth. I do not remember the event at all. My parents did tell me about it but with no details...you now know what I know. My Mother was told by the doctor not to try to have another child...therefore, in a sense, I am an only.

This layout will tell you about my Sister From Another Mister:

large.2024224GwenSisterTinci_NLH2024600.jpg.6b30f73dac25877247d91b713e026d98.jpg

• Love 7

21 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

And here is my Brother From Another Mother:

large.2024224SaffanBrotherTinci_NLH2024600.jpg.b3860363afa90598d3955674004e1f37.jpg

21 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

My story is similar to Corrie's. However, I was first born and, like Corrie, had a sister who did not survive birth. I do not remember the event at all. My parents did tell me about it but with no details...you now know what I know. My Mother was told by the doctor not to try to have another child...therefore, in a sense, I am an only.

This layout will tell you about my Sister From Another Mister:

large.2024224GwenSisterTinci_NLH2024600.jpg.6b30f73dac25877247d91b713e026d98.jpg

Bonnie that is some coincidence, but you are lucky to have found some "replacements"! Of course I have friends but not so close as your two. 

I am an only child, also, and only learned about my parents' previous marriages when I was 12 or so. My first question to them was "do I have any brothers or sisters"? My parents started late having children and none of their friends had any my age. I was so happy to go to school and find friends! My dad worked for the Erie Railroad. When I had my daughter, Debbie, I vowed she's not be an "only" and had Laurey 19 months later. 👶👶 This layout is from Aug 2020. I used the kit: Lady Bug Hugs and the title font is Snap ITC.

My-Name-is-Ann_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
added details
  • Love 4

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I am an only child, also, and only learned about my parents' previous marriages when I was 12 or so. My first question to them was "do I have any brothers or sisters"? My parents started late having children and none of their friends had any my age. I was so happy to go to school and find friends! My dad worked for the Erie Railroad. When I had my daughter, Debbie, I vowed she's not be an "only" and had Laurey 19 months later. 👶👶 This layout is from Aug 2020. I used the kit: Lady Bug Hugs and the title font is Snap ITC.

My-Name-is-Ann_600.jpg

Ann, I did the same as you and vowed that I would have more then 1 child or none at all. In the end I have 2: my daughter who is now living in California and my son who stayed in the Netherlands, but not very near to where we live at least to Dutch criteria.😉

• Love 1

• Cassel changed the title to February ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - Siblings
  • Cassel unpinned this topic