Newsletter chitchat - December 12, 2023

Cassel

Cassel - the book you are giving to your son-in-law is precious.  

I have made 3 layout books now - all 8X8 standard from Shutterfly.  Quality is good with the standard and the journaling shows up with the 8X8 standard format.  My almost 50 page book of the travel challenge i just completed came out ok, but I learned that there is a special way you have to handle the double pages for printing when you are not ordering the flat book.  I've shown it to my daughter and my granddaughter, whose critique I respect, and they are happy with it.  the best one I made was of the chattanooga trip my daughter and I took last year.  That one was made with layouts on a single page (not double page) although I created the single pages with the idea of 2 pages facing each other - and I got them printed that way.  The first book I had printed was a hit with one of my other granddaughters - as she was one who was on that trip.  that one was of the first travel challenges I made with you.  All in all, I'm happy with printing layouts and when there is a sale, it is definitely worth it.  

• Love 2

I eventually get 99% of my layouts printed.

For my personal use, I get 12x12 prints from Persnickety Prints out of Utah. The normal price is $1.99 for prints or print credits but have sales probably 4 or 5 times a year where they only cost $1.49 (not sure if they have raised prices lately though). I usually buy the print credits then order prints when I have at least 50 layouts to print. Although I usually wait until I have 100 since the shipping is a flat price no matter how many prints you order! And, yes, I have a lot of layouts I've done since 2008 (over 2500). I then put the layouts in page protectors in Creative Memories strap hinge albums.

I have also used Shutterfly to print books. My first one was a soft-cover 8x8 about 10 years ago to see how they were. I then did an 8x8 hard cover using layouts I had already printed for me for my cousin in 2013. I definitely liked the hard cover better. Since then I have done several more books for that cousin all using the layflat pages with hard cover and each one has at least 100 pages. I have one sitting on a shelf waiting to give to them when I see them next (they are in FL, I am in OH). I also did 2 books for another cousin (brother and sister) in the last several years. I did layouts documenting COVID from January 2020 to May 2023 and chose to make a Shutterfly book out of those layouts. I always wait to order Shutterfly books when they have a sale on "unlimited pages" which really helps keep the cost down. I started getting the 10x10 size from Shutterfly when I started getting the layflat pages. This size is closer to the size of a regular book and for me the journaling is much easier to read. 

• Love 2

Usually I get prints done of my Christmas card photo/layout then I put them on cover weight (cardstock) paper.  then I cut around as a frame with special rulers I have that where I can cut 1/8" (for example) on all sides.  It's a process and adds weight  when I put that on the final folded card it goes on (strathmore card/envelopes w/ deckle edge).  I wanted to cut that process down (sometimes I have two frames for twice the work!).  Doing that in PSP is maybe less than a minute! But when I get the 4x6 printed at a photo printer (London Drugs - in Canada) it always loses off each side, so having frames close to the edge get cut off on one side and partially on the other side.  I'd rather be able to print 2-up 4x6 on a sheet of photo paper and cut the print out and then no frames at the edges get cut off.  This is one of the reasons why I'd love to have my own print.  so I get full control.  

I've used staples a lot for my Color course and the many cards I cut out for that, but the in-store (behind the counter - which is better than the serve yourself machines) machines are not very good and the color discrepancies between the machines was pretty bad.  I'm wondering if the book you did is sent out for printing, because the quality is outstanding. 

19 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm wondering if the book you did is sent out for printing, because the quality is outstanding. 

My guess is that it was sent out. I placed the order and made the whole setup online. And it came in a box addressed to the local Staples, so that also hints to the fact that it was not done locally. I am not sure if they do it locally.

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

My guess is that it was sent out. I placed the order and made the whole setup online. And it came in a box addressed to the local Staples, so that also hints to the fact that it was not done locally. I am not sure if they do it locally.

I did notice "fujifilm" on the box suggesting it was sent out and was perhaps printed on the one the fuji papers. 

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I did notice "fujifilm" on the box suggesting it was sent out and was perhaps printed on the one the fuji papers. 

Possible. I have since removed all the stickers from the box so i can't check further.

Cassel: I watched your video -- I love the entire book!! Shutterly did a great job on the printing, too. Your idea for "maybe I'll be a..." was so cute!

I used to photograph nature around my property in northern Illinois. The 2 acres backed up to a 120 acre wooded area, so I saw LOTS of nature! I included my cats in most of the pictures and had Shutterfly make the book. It came out really nicely (like yours) and it's held up nicely for at least 10 years. Family comes and we reminisce about those days and pictures. I've also gotten coffee mugs, mouse pads and calendars printed. PSP makes layout for any item so easy and Shutterfly turns that work into works of art!

• Like 1