August 2023 - RANDOM Challenge

Cassel

10 hours ago, Natalie Spooner said:

Here's my page for the Random Challenge "Numbers". Photos are mine, the blankets I made as each was born, and the little girls had fun being babies again like their new cousin. Apparently there is an unhappy baby! lol. Not a spelling mistake his last name really is Kidd!  Hence the tongue in cheek! ? Oh how fast they grow!

The papers I made from the Mask WS lessons, those were a lot of fun! I couldn't stop playing around with the new knowledge! The leaf /petals from the recent vector Class, the number brads I created from inspiration from  @SueThomas  beautiful and so neatly done Robin LO.

Fonts used are Hello Honey from Fontspace and Schadow BT  already on my computer ??,  picture tube was a freebie from PSP with one of the versions.

Cheers for now...

Nana's Baby Blankets 600.jpg

Thank you for your kind words on the Robin layout. I'm  pleased I  was able to inspire you. Mind you that's  one of ge many reasons why we are part of the campus. What a lovely memory layout you created. I like the framing, and the vector petal shapes. May I  make a suggestion. Your plaid background paper is lovely, but try making the pattern smaller, and see what you think. I feel it's a bit of a distraction from the lovely  photos. Find the pattern in the material pallete, instead of  flood filling 100%,  lower  the %.  

Edited by Sue Thomas

14 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

This is a page I started back in June, when  I saw the first Ambush bug of the season. It's still a work in progress.  I thought I'd post it anyway.  It had recently merged.  At the time of shooting the  Ambush bug,  little  did I know that there was  also a  male mosquito in the frame, until I downloaded the photo onto the computer.  (Macro shot) .  Did you know that only the females feed on blood, requiring the protein to produce eggs. The males feed strictly on pollen, which is what this one is doing. Humans are generally a host of the females as a last resort.  Most mosquitoes feed on other animals like birds, and my horses. If you want to cut down on the mosquitoes around you,  dispose of all  water collecting objects.  I change the water in the birds baths twice a day, to prevent any larvae from  developing.  They are more active at night because the sun dehydrates and kills them, that is why they  select shady wet areas.  As for the Ambush bugs, I find them adorable prehistoric  looking creatures.  The top pic is a handsome male, and the bottom pic is  a beautiful  female.  I used the original photo for the  background paper. Edited.  I've posted an  uncompressed layout on Facebook, for those that are interested.

Ambush bugs.jpg

I applaud your macro work, especially with bugs (insects/creepy-crawlies etc).  I was outside photographing flowers (I know, I actually left the sterile studio setting) and a bee would stop on the flower, so I took the shot.  They are too buzzy and my settings werent set up for action (mostly for more DOF) so I have an infocus rear end and buzzy out of focus head.  I'm so much more comfortable with things that dont move.  My timing is horrible.   The colors on this page are beautiful.  Mother Nature is the best palette maker out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I applaud your macro work, especially with bugs (insects/creepy-crawlies etc).  I was outside photographing flowers (I know, I actually left the sterile studio setting) and a bee would stop on the flower, so I took the shot.  They are too buzzy and my settings werent set up for action (mostly for more DOF) so I have an infocus rear end and buzzy out of focus head.  I'm so much more comfortable with things that dont move.  My timing is horrible.   The colors on this page are beautiful.  Mother Nature is the best palette maker out there.

Thank you!  I have mentioned you in a comment on facebook, along with some photos off the camera.  I've cropped them using PSP. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you!  I have mentioned you in a comment on facebook, along with some photos off the camera.  I've cropped them using PSP. 

Wow, if anyone else reads this...STOP, DROP and ROLL...over to Facebook and have a look at Sue's images.  Words escape me.  I love all kinds of photography and when you see it done above average, it makes me speechless.  Can you imagine how quiet around the campus is gonna be, with me being "speechless".  ?.  Kidding aside, GO LOOK!  You'll love it.

And Sue, THANK YOU.  What a great treat for me.  Great photography is the best motivator.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here's what I came up with for the numbered items. Couldn't think of anything else and wanted to do something.

I grew up in a really small town, moved to the big city for many years, then came back 11 years ago to a small town. I love it. Trouble is, everywhere is growing so fast and it changes the nature of the place. I think I should live in a cabin deep in the woods away from developments.

The frame at top is from Melo Vrijhof at DS, the phrase strips from Cassel, the background image from online somewhere. The font in red is Boring Showers. Made the little numbered squares.

numbered items challenge Aug '23.jpg

• Love 7

On 8/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, Ann Seeber said:

I had cataract surgery last year and, in the process, suggested he also do the correction on the astigmatism in my left eye at the same time. Surgeon said at the time I'd only need readers after the surgery. HAH! I need really strong progressives but what I think happened is my left eye was bad from birth, the so-called "lazy eye" that appeared crossed. So at age 3 or so I had to wear a patch over my good eye to train the bad one to focus, plus I had eye exercises. This technique worked well. I was stupid to tell the current doctor to "fix" my left eye, which he agreed had astigmatism (not truly round). I think my early training is now working against the "fixed" left eye. It wants to pull it to the outside. ?

I also have a wonky right eye since birth. It has an astigmatism and what's called Dwayne's Syndrome (muscles are stuck so it doesn't move beyond midway looking to the right). I always assumed that corrective laser surgery would do nothing for that. The left eye has learned to compensate for the weak right eye, and I've learned to live with it. But when I was younger, I was really self-conscious about it. I don't usually sit to the left of people so they won't notice if I have to turn to the right!  Amazing the things we share on here!

• Love 3

On 8/29/2023 at 11:55 PM, Susan Ewart said:

I must be brain deficient, I only see it as a cut out.  Maybe because It's on my second monitor and i'm at an angle to it.  I tried to see it puffy.  What I see that is puffy is the really cool moon tonight.  I went outside....did you know mosquitos fly around at night. Why arent they in bed like the rest of the critters.  Only moths should be allowed out after dark. In 6-7 minutes I got over 10 bites.  

And bats too should be allowed out after dark!

58 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Here's what I came up with for the numbered items. Couldn't think of anything else and wanted to do something.

I grew up in a really small town, moved to the big city for many years, then came back 11 years ago to a small town. I love it. Trouble is, everywhere is growing so fast and it changes the nature of the place. I think I should live in a cabin deep in the woods away from developments.

The frame at top is from Melo Vrijhof at DS, the phrase strips from Cassel, the background image from online somewhere. The font in red is Boring Showers. Made the little numbered squares.

This is fabulous.  I had a good laugh at #2.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

And bats too should be allowed out after dark!

For sure!  I love love love bats.  Isnt that like a flying rodent.  that's like the bestest of the best.  A rodent and it flies.  I really love the fruit bats.  I think they are also called flying dogs, flying foxes or something to that effect.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I also have a wonky right eye since birth. It has an astigmatism and what's called Dwayne's Syndrome (muscles are stuck so it doesn't move beyond midway looking to the right). I always assumed that corrective laser surgery would do nothing for that. The left eye has learned to compensate for the weak right eye, and I've learned to live with it. But when I was younger, I was really self-conscious about it. I don't usually sit to the left of people so they won't notice if I have to turn to the right!  Amazing the things we share on here!

I know, right?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is fabulous.  I had a good laugh at #2.  

Even though the town I live in now is bigger than the one where I grew up, it still has only one traffic light. And that's the point we use to give directions! It's kinda reminiscent of the "old days".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Wow, if anyone else reads this...STOP, DROP and ROLL...over to Facebook and have a look at Sue's images.  Words escape me.  I love all kinds of photography and when you see it done above average, it makes me speechless.  Can you imagine how quiet around the campus is gonna be, with me being "speechless".  ?.  Kidding aside, GO LOOK!  You'll love it.

And Sue, THANK YOU.  What a great treat for me.  Great photography is the best motivator.  

You speechless? I can't picture that! We will miss your pithy and funny comments if you go "crickets". (since it's mostly insect photography being discussed)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

For sure!  I love love love bats.  Isnt that like a flying rodent.  that's like the bestest of the best.  A rodent and it flies.  I really love the fruit bats.  I think they are also called flying dogs, flying foxes or something to that effect.  

They are so cute and adorable. Here's one for you. Pic posted on a friend's FB page.

bats for Susan Ewart.jpg

• Love 5

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Well Susan, I'm  rendered speechless, as I am  totally overwhelmed by your comments, and others on here and  on Facebook  on my work.    We have an appreciation for the art  of photography, and displaying those images, giving them pride of place in layouts.  We all have different styles in our presentations, yet in those photos and layouts our passions resonate through. I must give credit to Carole, because without the campus we wouldn't be able to achieve our goals, to the high standard that we do. Or the close knit international family that we have become.   Next  Spring and Summer you will be looking at your garden and it's occupants ( the world of insects and other creatures) in a whole new light.  I loose all track of time when I'm outside crawling around on the ground.   I'm going  to suggest you put out a hummingbird feeder in early Spring.  Hopefully, you'll have visitors passing through.  Then again, in late July for the ones  stopping off, en route South.  The solitary bees , have pollen brushes either on their legs or abdomen, depending on their species.  Bumbles have pollen baskets on their legs.  You are sure to have fun observing the leaf cutters too.  I will look forward to seeing photos of your visitors.  You'll have 2 photographic studios, one indoors and  the one Mother nature has provided.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I love your page, I like the uniqueness of the numbered squares.  I'll have to remember  to  lower the opacity on a suitable page, it's a cool idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

They are so cute and adorable. Here's one for you. Pic posted on a friend's FB page.

bats for Susan Ewart.jpg

OMG!  Is there anything cuter than that?  Thank you.  Just what I needed after "trying" to do my scripting homework.  It was a fail tonight.  Beginning to wonder if I'm just not smart enough for this.  Or maybe I'm not logical enough.  Yup, that would be me.  And only on 5 of 25 lessons.  Yikes! I'm just feeling sorry for myself...I wont be quitting just yet.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

OMG!  Is there anything cuter than that?  Thank you.  Just what I needed after "trying" to do my scripting homework.  It was a fail tonight.  Beginning to wonder if I'm just not smart enough for this.  Or maybe I'm not logical enough.  Yup, that would be me.  And only on 5 of 25 lessons.  Yikes! I'm just feeling sorry for myself...I wont be quitting just yet.  

What a  beautiful creature, look a the expression on it's face, and those eyes, melt the heart.  I Love bats, I had many as pets when I was a child, as we had an old disused barn when they used to hang out.  Also we had bats in the attic of the house.  They are protected in the UK.  They are mammals, and not even remotely related to rodents.  They are in a class of their own. Chiroptera, which in Greek means hand hanging. The framing is perfect, it draws the eye to the bat.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

What a  beautiful creature, look a the expression on it's face, and those eyes, melt the heart.  I Love bats, I had many as pets when I was a child, as we had an old disused barn when they used to hang out.  Also we had bats in the attic of the house.  They are protected in the UK.  They are mammals, and not even remotely related to rodents.  They are in a class of their own. Chiroptera, which in Greek means hand hanging. The framing is perfect, it draws the eye to the bat.

I didnt know they were not rodents, and I love their name "Chiroptera", sounds like a greek mythical beast.  although wouldnt a flying ground squirrel be awesome.  You are so lucky to have lived among them.  I bet you have some interesting tales of your life growing up in the UK.  I'm surprised at the variety of bats there are in Alberta.   So sad the white nose disease has reached Alberta now.  It's makes me want to scoop them all up and keep them safe.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Years ago I was at a friend's cottage in a popular lake area of Central Ontario. A bat got in and everyone went crazy trying to KILL it with tennis racquets. I was running around trying to stop them. I said just open the doors and windows and it will find its way out! I have never forgotten that.

• WOW 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Years ago I was at a friend's cottage in a popular lake area of Central Ontario. A bat got in and everyone went crazy trying to KILL it with tennis racquets. I was running around trying to stop them. I said just open the doors and windows and it will find its way out! I have never forgotten that.

That's crazy.  I know they used to teach us to stay away from bats on the ground (when I live on a lake in a small town in the interior of BC).  Because of rabies I think.  I do remember a young man had an "encounter" with a bat in Kamloops, BC in 2019 and contracted a rarie rabies something or other and died 3 weeks later.  We were told to steer clear of them if we saw them on the ground.  They are misunderstood.  I used to watch Hope for Wildlife (wildlife rescue show in eastern canada) and the staff handling bats had to have rabies shots.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

That's crazy.  I know they used to teach us to stay away from bats on the ground (when I live on a lake in a small town in the interior of BC).  Because of rabies I think.  I do remember a young man had an "encounter" with a bat in Kamloops, BC in 2019 and contracted a rarie rabies something or other and died 3 weeks later.  We were told to steer clear of them if we saw them on the ground.  They are misunderstood.  I used to watch Hope for Wildlife (wildlife rescue show in eastern canada) and the staff handling bats had to have rabies shots.  

I watched some of those episodes as well. Great work she was doing, and very moving sometimes. I've never had a fear of bats or reptiles, only 8-legged arachnids, but I have overcome that for the most part. I still do the web-dance if I happen to pass through one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I watched some of those episodes as well. Great work she was doing, and very moving sometimes. I've never had a fear of bats or reptiles, only 8-legged arachnids, but I have overcome that for the most part. I still do the web-dance if I happen to pass through one!

Me too.  and we loved Hope's show.  We dont get it on any of the channels anymore but I do check in on FB sometimes.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I can never understand the logic in anyone flapping and running around hysterically at any  creature.  The most sensible thing to do is to stand motionless. That goes for bats too.  I grew up in a 600yr old vicarage turned farmhouse.  The stone walls were 3ft deep, with a spiral stone staircase.  We had bats in the attic, which would occasionally fly through an open bedroom window at night.  They are the Pipistrelle bats.  Of course you have heard of the saying bats in the belfry.  It's very true, and most churches and chapels at home are occupied  with bats. Since I was a child their numbers have diminished greatly, and they are now protected in the UK  If  you have them in  your attics, you have to live  with them. Also, the UK is one of the very countries in the world that is rabies free.  It doesn't stop me handling them out here without gloves.  I agree they are very much misunderstood creatures.  Hollywood and Disney has a lot to answer, for the way they portray  many creatures in their productions. 

I had a wonderful up bringing  on a Welsh hill farm.  I would go out in the morning, and wouldn't be seen until tea time.  I was allowed the freedom to be a child, and if I wasn't in  by tea time, there was a row.  Great times, and some many happy memories, surrounded by animals.

• Love 3

17 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Susan you are not going to quit! and leave me out there, will you. I'm on lesson 5 too and my advice is: read carefully, take it slowly and try every step. It is logical though. I think of it as a new language which has very strict grammar rules. See you inside the course with some results.