Newsletter Chitchat - August 1, 2023

Cassel

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

That camera looks great for my oldest greats but unfortunately Amazon says it can't be shipped to me here in NY. Perhaps it's just for Canada? I don't know....

You are right. I had put the Amazon.ca link. I corrected it now so you can use the "new" link to get it on Amazon.com

Newsletter - scripting class question: Is there a thread for questions?

My question is this but I’m not sure where to put it:

Do we need to buy a certain version of a Python? What about the text editor, IDLE?

15 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Newsletter - scripting class question: Is there a thread for questions?

My question is this but I’m not sure where to put it:

Do we need to buy a certain version of a Python? What about the text editor, IDLE?

No need for anything special. PSP already installed the Python version you need. As for the text editor, Notepad++ is recommended, and it is free. That is what I use. That will be in lesson 1!

30 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Is Windows Notepad more or less the same as Notepad ++?

I was wondering if I am supposed to overwrite my Windows Notepad, or if I’m supposed to have a secondary text editor? Do you keep both?

You can keep both as they are not the same. Notepad would work but Notepad++ has line numbering, which is essential when scripting. Did you ever notice error messages when running a script? Ever noticed that it usually has a line number in that message? Imagine trying to find the error on line 2654 if the lines are not numbered! (and yes, I occasionally have scripts with over 10,000 lines of code)

1 minute ago, Joyce Nease said:

I absolutely love the enthusiasm to get just the right photo!  Can't wait to see the first of many photo pages!!!  Enjoy!!

I definitely plan something with his first photos. I just have to wait for my daughter to send them to me!

• Love 1

For my kids back in those days it was a Fisher Price camera too, but my younger granddaughter had something similar to Xavier's. She has outgrown it and got a" real" digital camera. Nowadays she and her older sister use their phones or iPads as all their friends and classmates are doing.

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Is Windows Notepad more or less the same as Notepad ++?

I was wondering if I am supposed to overwrite my Windows Notepad, or if I’m supposed to have a secondary text editor? Do you keep both?

Suzy, Back in the day when I was coding webpages I was steered to the free Note Tab Light, which has the lines numbered. Even in Windows Notepad, I can start a new file each time so no need to "overwrite" anything. But Note Tab is better for coding.

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

We already have Peggy, Mireille, Cristina, and Susan who registered.

Last time, we had a cohort of only 12, which is a good number where I am able to help everyone.

I would love to join in the fun, but for me it will have to wait until the next coding course is on; at least I hope there will be a next! This one comes too early for me as I have upcoming dental surgery and a couple of special birthdays with parties, dinners and even weekends away. I'm still not fully recovered from my hip OP because of all the extra unpleasant things that happened, which I won't repeat now. I hope you all have great fun and learn a lot, maybe tell me and the rest of the scrapbookers what you think of this journey into scripting! Good luck!

Edited by Corrie Kinkel
typo
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

Have you ever seen those children's cameras?

Do you know anyone who has one?

And now, about the birthday party, here is one layout I made with a few pictures.

large.HappyThree-Rex-600-Pixellated.jpg

Let's chat.

Great layout and I see where the dinos came from that we could us to make into vector shapes!

• WOW 1

21 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Suzy, Back in the day when I was coding webpages I was steered to the free Note Tab Light, which has the lines numbered. Even in Windows Notepad, I can start a new file each time so no need to "overwrite" anything. But Note Tab is better for coding.

I meant overwrite the whole program….as in totally get rid of Windows Notepad by rewriting oVer it with Notepad++, or even just deleting it. I guess I was asking if Notetab and Notetab++ are the same program. 

I have Notetab Light which I like very much, and have used forever, but I am only scratching the surface of even the light version. I don’t do any of the stuff off to the left menu. I don’t even do bold or larger fonts. Nada. But it’s quick to open, which is what I want. Otherwise I’d just use MSWord.

so I guess I’ll have three text editors.  

41 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I would love to join in the fun, but for me it will have to wait until the next coding course is on; at least I hope there will be a next! This one comes too early for me as I have upcoming dental surgery and a couple of special birthdays with parties, dinners and even weekends away. I'm still not fully recovered from my hip OP because of all the extra unpleasant things that happened, which I won't repeat now. I hope you all have great fun and learn a lot, maybe tell me and the rest of the scrapbookers what you think of this journey into scripting! Good luck!

I'm with Corrie, too much going on to join in at this time. Besides the history project I'm working on with my cousin, I have at least 1 medical appointment for testing every week along with a vet appointment for the dog, and a grooming appointment for the dog all needing to be done before USA Labor Day weekend. I also need to spend time at the church for the history project to work on the records that are not allowed to leave the building. Then after all testing comes back, a team of doctors will determine if I can have heart valve replacement surgery and if I can which kind of surgery I can actually have. One option has a 1 to 2 week recovery. The other option has at least a week in the hospital with a 6 week recovery period. I'm hoping for the first option. This would happen about 6 weeks from now.

I am curious about scripting since I did learn how to code html for web pages 25 years ago but timing wise, this isn't a good time for me. Will look forward to seeing how those of you in the course do!

2 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I'm with Corrie, too much going on to join in at this time. Besides the history project I'm working on with my cousin, I have at least 1 medical appointment for testing every week along with a vet appointment for the dog, and a grooming appointment for the dog all needing to be done before USA Labor Day weekend. I also need to spend time at the church for the history project to work on the records that are not allowed to leave the building. Then after all testing comes back, a team of doctors will determine if I can have heart valve replacement surgery and if I can which kind of surgery I can actually have. One option has a 1 to 2 week recovery. The other option has at least a week in the hospital with a 6 week recovery period. I'm hoping for the first option. This would happen about 6 weeks from now.

I am curious about scripting since I did learn how to code html for web pages 25 years ago but timing wise, this isn't a good time for me. Will look forward to seeing how those of you in the course do!

Rene all the best! I hope it will be the shorter option. Maybe we can do the scripting course together next year. In the mean time take good care of yourself, PSP is patient and can wait.

• Like 1