Newsletter chitchat - April 4

Cassel

I grew up in the 50th and that time in the Netherlands it still was a period of rebuilding after the WWII. I remember we always were "coloring" real eggs in boiling red water. The red water saving from cooking red cabbage. When I was lucky my grandparents brought a chocolate eggs when coming to dinner. For my children we always have hidden the eggs and of course the places where to search were adapted to their ages. Mostly in the house because the weather for an outside hunt wasn't good enough, especially  when Easter was early in the year. At some point they outgrew it and we stopped. My grandchildren don't live in the Netherlands, but my daughter has kept the tradition. My birthday is on April 8 and it is mostly around Easter and then I always have all kinds of chocolate eggs as sweets.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I grew up in the 50th and that time in the Netherlands it still was a period of rebuilding after the WWII. I remember we always were "coloring" real eggs in boiling red water. The red water saving from cooking red cabbage. When I was lucky my grandparents brought a chocolate eggs when coming to dinner. For my children we always have hidden the eggs and of course the places where to search were adapted to their ages. Mostly in the house because the weather for an outside hunt wasn't good enough, especially  when Easter was early in the year. At some point they outgrew it and we stopped. My grandchildren don't live in the Netherlands, but my daughter has kept the tradition. My birthday is on April 8 and it is mostly around Easter and then I always have all kinds of chocolate eggs as sweets.

what a wonderful memory (except the war part of course).  You reminded me that we also colored eggs too, under my moms supervision.  I remember a vinegar smell, is that something that is used or put in the water I wonder.  These are things I cant ask my mom anymore.  Our birthdays are two months apart, less a day.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

what a wonderful memory (except the war part of course).  You reminded me that we also colored eggs too, under my moms supervision.  I remember a vinegar smell, is that something that is used or put in the water I wonder.  These are things I cant ask my mom anymore.  Our birthdays are two months apart, less a day.  

Yes I remember that vinegar smell too now you mentioned it, and the vinegar was put in the water. I think that it was used when the color was good to stop the process. But I'm not sure, I cann't ask that anymore either. Vinegar was and maybe is still used to protect the color of clothing, for instance yeans when you wash them. Of course nowadays there are so many washing detergents that it is not done that way any longer, but I remember using vinegar that way many , many years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Vinegar was used to color eggs when I was a kid. Found this with a quick google:

Fill cups, bowls, or containers with enough boiling water to cover the egg, 1 teaspoon of white vinegar, and food coloring. Place the egg on a slotted or regular spoon and dunk into the mixture, turning occasionally so both sides are colored. Keep in the liquid for up to 5 mins or longer for darker colors.

I colored eggs as a child in the late 50's/early 60's but very rarely since. I might have helped cousins once in awhile when their kids were young but those kids are all in the 30's/early 40's now!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Vinegar was used to color eggs when I was a kid. Found this with a quick google:

I colored eggs as a child in the late 50's/early 60's but very rarely since. I might have helped cousins once in awhile when their kids were young but those kids are all in the 30's/early 40's now!

Thank you Rene for I didn't recollect how it was done. For me as a child it was in the 50's and with my own children we always painted boiled eggs with special paint for food.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

yes, this is how mom did it.  thank you.

• Like 1