Problem with scripts running in X9

Linda Hitt

I just upgraded to X9 and am having a problem getting scripts to work.  I have loaded all the patches.  I loaded my scripts to either the trusted or restricted folders (depending on instructions) by going to Documents - Corel PaintShop Pro - 19.0.  I get the same error on each script I have tried.  I am attaching a screenshot.  Is there something else I need to adjust?

Thanks,

Linda

That is what i suspected. See, when they released X9, initially, they wanted to "clean up" the code and they removed the Python modules, probably thinking they were not needed for the general users, but they quickly realized that those modules were needed, even to run the scripts that came with PSP, so they added them to the first update.

Go to this page, and download the updates 1 to 3. That should fix the problem. Make sure you download all the updates, and save them to your computer, and install them one by one. Even though, downloading the whole PSP version might do the same, it is always a good idea to keep all the updates/patches for the future!

Do that and let me know if it fixes the problem as i expect.

Linda, i heard that sometimes, PSP just seems to "forget" to look for the Python modules that are actually there.

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/215917658-Resetting-PaintShop-Pro-X6-To-Default-Configuration

Check out the instructions here to reset the workspace. Even if it is explaining about X6, it works the same with X9. Make sure you save your workspace, especially if you had any customization you don't want to lose.

Hello Linda and Cassel... just to say that I am having trouble with scripts in the upgrade to PSPX9 that I purchased yesterday... I can't understand why Corel sells something that is not working properly..

I have captured a screenshot of the error message I get when I try to run them.. hopefully they will fix this issue....

Linda and Dawn, could you uninstall your PSPX9 and download the Ultimate version on this page:

https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/

It should have the latest version, without having to add the updates.

Make sure you download the ULTIMATE version, even if you didn't buy it. The PSP version itself is the same, but you would just not be able to unlock the extra content if you didn't purchase the ultimate version.

If your workspace had customizations, you might want to save your workspace and save it somewhere else than the default folders for X9, in case they get overwritten (better safe than sorry).

Then, try the scripts that have caused that error, and let me know. Tech support is on hand for now.

Hi Cassel,

No luck with that either.  I downloaded the Ultimate trial and I still get the same error on all my scripts.  I have tried several of your scripts (scrabble tiles, calendar maker, and preview maker just to name a few) as well as a few that I recorded myself to add shadows.

Windows 10 and I seem to have had all kinds of problems with PSP since I upgraded to this version.  I was running X8 and after the update to Windows 10 it started "crashing" all the time....especially when using the flood fill tool. I had a hard time completing anything without it crashing at least once.  I figured since they came out with X9 I would update and my problems would be gone....

Eureka!

If you are experiencing issues where you get the error message referring to the Random module on line 3, it is because your PSPX9 installation is missing some modules. You can install them yourself in seconds.

Download the package here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54692421/PaintShop/X9/PSPX9_PythonPackage.exe

Install it, and see your X9 work!

That has also been reported by others who had this solution. As you said, it does not affect the running of the scripts or X9 itself since you get it when closing it. I'll report that as i suspect that is at a level i never have accessed. Possibly in the programming of the PSP itself.

I get this and have done for ages when I shut down X8 and now when I shut down X9. However, as Cassel says it doesn't effect the running of anything but if you close PSP and open up another window to look at something else the 'bonging' from this pop up error message can make you jump, it has me a few times.

Thank you Cassel for all your help in fixing the script issue in X9. I installed the python package and the scripts are working now. also I have had that run time error message but I do not remember whether it was x9 or x8, however I only saw it one time.

Once again Thank You Cassel . I will now settle in to working with X9 and continue  my learning journey.

Hi Cassel....I downloaded and installed this patch and it works fine, but since I have done that my PSP X9 freezes when I got to use the text tool. If I am using the same font as previously, it is fine, but if I want to change fonts, that is when it freezes. Any solutions for this? thank you. By the way, I have so many of your scripts and I love them. so handy. hugs, Barbara