Problem with viewing PSP-images

Corrie Kinkel

I have a problem and I don't know if it's a Windows thing or a PSP. I'll try to explain.

Last week I could upgrade to Windows 11 and 2 days later I got that very attractive upgrade to PSP 2022 (it came as a pop-up inside PSP).

If I had PSP-images from Cassel or some I saved as a PSP image I had a thumbnail so I could see what the image is about. Now I just have an empty image saying PSP image QP-01 for instance. I think maybe it is a checkbox somewhere, but I'm not able to find a solution. I included a screenshot of the place where I save images and pages I'm currently working on at my E-drive where all my PSP-stuff is. As you can see in the scrreenshot there is a thumbnail with a psp.image that is visible and one with only the psp-logo. In my templates folder I have over 30 this way.

Hope this sounds familiar to somebody and that some one can point me in the right direction, because otherwise I have to open all of those and copy them as a JPG, quit a nuissance.

Of course I asked Carole for help, but she sometimes has the same problem and suggested that I ask overhere.

Hi Corrie,

I am running Windows 11, Version 21H2, OS Build 22000.348.  I make sure I keep us with my Windows updates.  I also have PaintShop Pro Ultimate 22 installed.  I just looked in my Windows Explorer; which I see is what you have open in your screen shot.  I can see my .pspimage's just as well as my .jpg's.  I was wondering if the difference might be is that I installed a free picture viewing program called Quick Picture Viewer that I got from the Microsoft Store.  I missed seeing full screen pictures that you could arrow through from Windows Explorer.  Microsoft did away with their Picture Viewer in Windows 10 & 11.  With having this program installed, maybe it's allowing Explorer to view the .pspimage's in Explorer.  I'm only guessing.  It seems like we have about the same system.  It might be worth a try.  If that doesn't help, I'm stumped.  Oh, I wanted to ask, was your version of Windows 11 an upgrade?  Mine was.  I have uploaded a screenshot of Explorer to show you how I can see my .pspimage's.

Hi, BTW although Microsoft Photo Viewer has been replaced, it is still available (and I prefer it). Quick Picture Viewer has no right click menu I think?  Anyway, the other option is to try the free PSP Thumbnail Handler by Bot productions, I seem to have this issue every time windows or PSP updates! this utility is sometimes the answer, though PSP should install its own handler for Explorer (even for win 11). Maybe it is worth asking corel if there is a known issue in win 11?

Sheila

Corrie , ik heb geen W11, maar die lege plaatjes heb ik de laatste tijd ook regelmatig, vooral als mijn computer druk bezig is, maar dan zijn de mappen ook compleet wit. Wat ik heb uitgevonden is: Ga naar taakbeheer , vind daar COM surrugate bij de achtergrond processen, die staat (bij mij dan op vrij hoog, meer dan 12%) rechtsklik op dat bestand op beëindigen en dan zijn bij mij alle mappen en die lege witte dingen weer normaal. Hoop dat dat het ook is wat bij jou "storing"veroorzaakt. Hier: https://answers.microsoft.com/nl-nl/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate/3d0c4b59-f88f-427c-9161-0959a6009b8a vond ik onder andere info over dat COM surrogate.

En nog wat info via Google, heb er nog niet naar kunnen kijken: https://www.google.com/search?channel=nrow5&client=firefox-b-d&q=waarom+alleen+witte+plaatjes+in+verkenner+en+geen+voorbeeld+van+inhoud%3F

Corrie, ik heb geen W11, maar die lege plaatjes heb ik de laatste tijd ook regelmatig, vooral als mijn computer druk bezig is, maar dan zijn de mappen ook compleet wit. Wat ik heb uitgevonden is: Ga naar taakbeheer , vind daar COM surrugate bij de achtergrond processen, die staat (bij mij dan) op vrij hoog, meer dan 12%, rechtsklik op dat bestand op beëindigen en dan zijn bij mij alle mappen en die lege witte dingen weer normaal. Hoop dat dat het ook is wat bij jou "storing"veroorzaakt.

Hier: https://answers.microsoft.com/nl-nl/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate/3d0c4b59-f88f-427c-9161-0959a6009b8a vond ik onder andere info over dat COM surrogate

En nog wat info via Google, heb er nog niet naar kunnen kijken:

https://www.google.com/search?channel=nrow5&client=firefox-b-d&q=waarom+alleen+witte+plaatjes+in+verkenner+en+geen+voorbeeld+van+inhoud%3F

Corrie, ik heb geen W11, maar die lege plaatjes heb ik de laatste tijd ook regelmatig, vooral als mijn computer druk bezig is, maar dan zijn de mappen ook compleet wit. Wat ik heb uitgevonden is: Ga naar taakbeheer , vind daar COM surrugate bij de achtergrond processen, die staat (bij mij dan) op vrij hoog, meer dan 12%, rechtsklik op dat bestand op beëindigen en dan zijn bij mij alle mappen en die lege witte dingen weer normaal. Hoop dat dat het ook is wat bij jou "storing"veroorzaakt.

Hier: https://answers.microsoft.com/nl-nl/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate/3d0c4b59-f88f-427c-9161-0959a6009b8a vond ik onder andere info over dat COM surrogate

En nog wat info via Google, heb er nog niet naar kunnen kijken:

https://www.google.com/search?channel=nrow5&client=firefox-b-d&q=waarom+alleen+witte+plaatjes+in+verkenner+en+geen+voorbeeld+van+inhoud%3F

Roni, I'm using windows 10.  I am still able to view photos in full size  using the arrows.  That function hasn't  been done away with.  Of course you are not able to view PSP files in that fashion, only Jpegs, PNGs.   I have a fairly new lap top, and was  asked to upgrade to windows 11, as windows stated that it would support windows 11.  I declined the upgrade.   I really can't stress enough, that when windows has an update, close all programs, before doing so.  Especially PSP, as it doesn't like updates while the program is open.  Windows now allows us to choose a day, a time, to update.  An option which didn't used to happen in previous  Window versions.    Looking back at my correspondence with Corel over the issue Corrie in  now experiencing.  It didn't have anything to do with  Windows, updates, or upgrades, it was  a something within PSP. Why!  no one could  explain it.  When I install any PSP  version, I  keep everything where it is installed.  Creating duplicates, on my external hard drive.  That way, there isn't any confusion for  PSP.

You could try setting the default app for handling .pspimage files. In Windows settings, go to Apps then choose Default Apps. At the bottom of this screen, select Choose default apps by file type. On that screen, you will see on the left a long list of file extension names. Scroll down to .pspimage. Next to this file extension name, click on the + icon to choose the default app and select Corel Paintshop Pro 2022

I'm super happy the problem is solved and I can tell now: it isn't a Windows problem! Marvin PSP is already selected as the default app by file type upon installation.

So I was going to take Sue's advice and remove, clean and re-install PSP. In the wizzard which pops-up when you want to deinstall you can choose : deinstall or repair. So before taking the drastic messure to remove I choose repair and that worked. I can see again what is in those pspimage thumbnails!

For those who have the same problem: give it a try!!!!

I want to give a big thanks to all who have tried to help. This shows again what a great community this is and I'm happy and proud to be a member.