Intro & About Using PSP

Ed McCarthy

Just wanted to say, "Hello" and to let you know that I don't do digital scrapbooking, although it looks like it would a fun thing to do. Basically, I think your tips on using PSP are great and you're one of the few folks out there who keep up to date on the program. I appreciate that. When I started using PSP, I began with v.7.04. Soooo many sites have faded away since then. You keep it fresh.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed, glad to meet you. Apparently, you are not the only non-scrapbooker in the Campus. I guess the information and tutorials are very usable in other graphic projects. What do you use PSP for? What kind of projects?

Cassel

Hello, Ed.  I'm a non-scrapbooker too.  The information you find here is very useful to other projects, but I'd also be interested in what kind of interests you have.  Thanks to a creaky computer, I've had to cut back quite a bit on doing graphic compositions, but I still like using the tutorials to produce very personal greetings cards for my friends. It's great fun, and I was glad to discover Cassel as other sites have faded away over time (I've been using PSP since version 4, so I'm even creakier than my computer).  Welcome to our little group.

Hey Cassel & Dianne. Actually, I'm an artist (and a photographer). And, I've always used photos for references, and other projects (plenty of graphics). So, I started scanning pics and I needed to edit them. So, back in like 2001, got a scanner and picked up PSP7. I was blown away but the stuff that this program could do. Then 2003 when I got my first digital camera it became even more useful. I have between 80-100,000 photos and it's been an invaluable tool. I have tried other programs, but it pretty much this is the best program hands down, in my opinion. I know lots of folks poo-pooed the program after Corel bought out JASC. But, I think they've figured out what users wanted and needed and have since done an admiral job with it. I don't think they actually need to release a new version every year, but hey, gotta keep relevant in the software market. Currently I'm building a new website for fine art and photography, but you can see some of my art on ETSY SITE HERE. Thanks.

Wow, those are gorgeous. It is great to see someone show how to push the artistic side of PSP (it's easy to forget what a range of possibilities there are...and I write that knowing there are many talented people in this group who do fabulous things in and out of the sphere of scrapbooking).  I have Photoshop too but I am moving to the point where I use it less and less.  Thank you for sharing your website. Do post when your new website is ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

My name is Amy and I have been using PSP since 1999. In started out using PSP 7 and fell in love with it. I also have Animation Shop 3 and love it as well. I am a student at SNHU in New Hampshire going for my Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design with a concentration in Web Design. For school we are supposed to use the Adobe products but when I need to I will design things using PSP instead. For me PSP seems to be easier to use. I'm looking forward to learning so much more from everyone here.

Happy Sunday!

Hello to Ed and Amy! I've never done scrapbooking either. Learning new techniques of compositing and manipulating photographic images is what I spend most of my days doing now that I've retired. BTW: Ed - Your painting with the Grumman Goose called the Orange Crate Express brought back memories. In the mid 1960's I spent many hours working on Grumman sea planes at AeroTrades - a small repair facility on Long Island.

Thanks and welcome, Scott! Actually, my father-in-law worked for Grumman, on LI (Uniondale?). He worked on the Apollo/LEM program. I grew up in Queens, then the family moved out to West Islip, NY. Ironically, I ended up working at McDonnell Douglas Aerospace in Colorado, Delta II rocket program. I served in the USAF working on Lockheed C-130 Herks. I love aircraft and space stuff and occasionally try to drop some into my art when it seems appropriate. I especially enjoy the odd types of aircraft. When I lived on the coast in Florida, I would see the occasionally odd seaplane, which sparked the idea for the above mentioned painting.

We moved to Freeport LI when I was in 6th grade, then N. Babylon, then Smithtown! (My dad liked to move) I worked on F-105s at Republic Aviation in Farmingdale LI in the mid 60's and Macarthur Airport (among others) while getting my commercial pilot's license. Spent time at the Grumman facility in Calverton where the F-14s were tested.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

I'm Claudia. I've been using PSP and animation shop, on and off, for over 10 years. I started off making graphics and layouts on Myspace. I was very active in groups that were PSP related. I hope to someday became a graphic designer or web designer. It's been a hobby that has always been a passion of mine. I enjoy doing challenges to work on creativity and find new ways to practice. I hope to be active in this forum, if life allows it. I currently live in the state of Colorado. It is beautiful and has many places to explore/travel. I enjoy taking photos as well and creating memories.

Welcome Claudia. We tend to come from different parts of the globe and it is a lovely and friendly place here. I am from the UK.  Everyone is very supportive and appreciative of work shared for viewing. You will find Cassel an amazing teacher who goes that extra mile not only to teach you new things but if you have a problem you wont have to wait days for a response, she is right on it and can often help you put things right. She also has a fantastic shop where you can browse for her fantastic scripts and tubes etc. Anyway, I hope you enjoy being here.

Also, don't forget to sign up for the monthly webinars which are free and so, so good.

Sheila x

• 2 weeks later...