Travel Tale Challenge 2020

Cassel

This image is a bit busy but I learned a lot about the tools and features of Paintshop in trying to adjust, crop and correct some of these items before putting them into the picture. I have a few more things I would like to figure out with PSP but that will be for later days in this challenge. 'Simple is Good!' is my goal for next time.

Day 3

7 Days in Jersey with my mother.

We flew from London City Airport to Jersey and arrived late evening, we were driven straight to our hotel. We spent the week exploring the island going to different places each day! The beaches were stunning, the people were friendly. We had a great time, and some lovely memories.  I love how this template came out a bit like a postcard.

There are some awesome graphics coming through, especially like the leather tags Lynda.  Minka, those photos are amazing.

So, Day 4 - leather tags.  I had a go at two for my graphic.  I did the double page spread and then split them up to post here.   So, here we go - spent most of the day on this challenge.  Again, this is stil lpart of our trip to Mexico 6 years ago.

Creative layouts, interesting stories, great work, Everyone!

I am a slow scrapper, so I am creating just one layout. I am still in the process of choosing the photos, so that's why there are empty spots in the template. The photos are of a trip my husband and I did last year for a few days to Lake Constance.

It wasn't quite big enough to make into a background ... so I just used it as a lone picture. Minimal words- just where it is ... took me longer to make the two itty bitty stamps!!! LOL They need to be bigger, but it was fun to make them and unfortunately, all the time I have today. I have loved seeing all the pictures and travels. I think this has been the most fun challenge so far with all the participation. Lynda - LOVE LOVE your leather tags! Might have to steal ... oops ... I mean borrow them. :ox

Day 4 Travel-Tale-Challenge

I did the leather tag, I enjoyed creating it. I will practice  more later. I am one day behind and will try to catch up if not today, tomorrow. I been wanting to ask "How can I answer to the people posting" I want to congratulate you all but don't know where to respond.

Hi Everybody, and the Best Teacher to me since only 3 before You.   <b>I tried but couldn't use my wand to do the silhouette so I used the freehand, then couldn't do it ether then took a brake, a few brakes later got it fixed (it was in the settings) so freehanded the Island of Okinawa Japan where we landed in 1983.  Loved it my children cried when we left they said they wanted to be japanese.</b>

<b>Thank you for the for the template, I did try but they wouldn't go in the pictures.  But when I get it figured out I will use it tons.   I made shark tubes, and couple others the Az cactus was from a lesson in the past, ty for them. I love tubes as some might see,  I could tube all day.  lol  I think I did everything but I wanted to only do them your way.  I will soon I hope, but there's always more ways than one.  Another Great Teacher 6th grade said that to me. But I do want to learn the fast easy way.  I love being a Diamond member, I will learn.</b>

The person featured on the stamps was the daughter of one of my closest friends. Three of the photos are from her trip to Miami in 2010. I wasn't able to go to the beach with them, but they borrowed my camera. The top picture is her in the early 70s at a beach in New York.

Tris recently passed away. She was in a nursing home in New York City and died of COVID-19 related illness. Pictures from that trip brought back good memories of good friends.

On a technical note, I wanted to give more depth to the envelopes but wasn't quite sure how to achieve it. My guess is to make use of shadows.

Please, no need for any participant to apologize for what they post. Everyone works at their own pace. Everyone has a different story. Everyone shares differently. And everybody's work is worth sharing.

Euka, if you ever want to print those double-pages, you will want to move that date stamp from the middle, but if you want to print that as a 24x12 image, keeping it in the center is fine.

Lyn Lou, it feels like we are traveling with you! Looking forward to all the other photos and stories. Mum iin the spaceship made me laugh!! Cute one.

Krystyna, those flags are a fun and simple addition to the layout. It is interesting to see that re-submission. And this is certainly expected; you will change your mind through the challenge. The issue with the border is that you probably were trying to go with Image > Add border. That will automatically merge everything and the border be added to a single layer. Of course, that is NOT what you wanted. In that case, select the photo, and go to Selections > Modify > Select selection border. It is so interesting to see that the same page evolve through the reposts! Keep them coming. On your Day 4, did you do that background paper with all the text? It is a really fun one!

Mary Solaas, wow! you have visited all the continental states!? And don't worry about changing ideas. It will happen!

Lynda, nice complementary double-pages!

Brian, it is ok to only post the elements. You will use them together later. What issue were you having with the reverse path? That shadowed silhouette of BC on the larger map gives a very interesting look. Are you originally from BC? or you just started your trip there? The leather tag, although we would typically expect a hole, it can also be sewn on something so you could add stitching along the edge, or it can be glued in which case, no hole, and no stitching.

Art, that is a long cycle ride!!! So you came "close" to where I live (in NB :) ). The arrangement of your photos is great and really showcase that trip. On the Day 3 page, it is ok to be "busy". In fact, I find that it is very well suited to the look of memorabilia. I actually find it very eye-pleasing, even if busy.

Minka, you made your own icon for home. That is good! I love that frame around the Portland Headlight photo.  And yes, if you could show us those stamps, I would love to see them better.

Corrie, so many fun elements in that page. I keep looking at it and seem to find something new every time.

Lynda, nice tags. Be careful not to punch a hole too close to the edge: in transit, those will rip and you would lose those beautiful tags!

Gerry, I love how you used the multiple photo areas for a single photo! That is a great example of how a template can be used in such a different way. I see you tell us that story of where you went and what you did. I hope you will include that same text of those memories in the pages, somewhere. Glad you are having fun with the scripts. They are meant to be tools for you to them customize the result! And yes, the use of shadows is often a good way to add depth. In some other situations, it could be with a bevel, but shadows would be my first option. Those stamps look absolutely great!

Mary Stander, happy to visit France with you. One suggestion if I may: on your title, since you are using a gradient on the text, reduce the shadow to help with legibility. Some elements affect a bit the legibility and when they are combined, makes it a bit harder. It is nothing major, just a suggestion.

Nemisis, welcome! If you ever have any issue, don't hesitate to contact me with the little yellow tab (that seems to have disappeared) or through the Contact link at the bottom of every page. And now that you know how to post in the forum, you can also post any issue you have. For your first day of work, I see we will be visiting Holland! Great photos. In order to add some 3D effect, you can now add a drop shadow on each of them. Choose an offset of about 5-10 both vertically and horizontally, an Opacity of about 60-80 and a Blur of about 10. Make sure you add the shadow as a new layer so you can easily change your mind later.

Shirley, I am not too crazy about that spider, but the rest of your page is quite inviting!

Cristina, it is interesting to see that incomplete page. It might just inspire others to go ahead and post, even before they are finished!

Janice, I think it would be fun if you were to add the name of the countries, AND have little paths from one to the other to visualize the various steps you just listed in the text. I love the background paper. Where did you get it? Or did you make it?

Isabel, if you want to respond to someone, simply post a comment, like you post yours, add the name of the person in bold like Minka mentioned.

Cindy, I love your sharks (well, I love the tubes of the sharks). Did you review the last class on using templates? It should help you put the photos, if you want. And yes, there is often more than way to do something in PSP!

I really have been working at the lessons everyday, but I just haven't put everything together into layouts. So tonight I decided to make a layout using most of the techniques I have learned on a single layout. I created the silhouette map, then decided that I needed the names of the cities to show through, so I lowered the opacity of the paint layer. I added 4 other layers, detailing our modes of travel, and I used that whole map as a single element. The date stamp was created using Cassel's DateStamp8 script, and the postage stamp was created from a photo I took of a tourist information map in the city. The only thing I don't have on this layout is the leather tag - I'm still fussing to create one I like. I used some picture tubes to mark the city on the map and connect it to the title of the page. The papers are from a kit by Nellie Bell called "Birds of a feather."

Gerry - What a wonderful way to remember your friend. The whole thing was moving - the stamp project and the back story. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but you made a wonderful remembrance.

Great job everyone, and Gerry love your stamps, sorry for you loss <hugs>

Thank you Carole,  I have a large selection of photos from trips I have been to over the years, and prior to taking photos, I used to collect postcards from all the places I visited, from age 13, as I did not have a camera back then. They also bring back memories of places I visited. I am a day or two behind on the challenges.

This one took a little time to do, selecting all the best photos to fit. I tried the leather tag, and for some reason the cutout was not working for me, I will try it again another time.

Day 4;

We visited Leeds Castle UK, which is not in Leeds, it's in Kent!

We went in 2018 with my mum (she was 86 and there is a lot of walking to get to the castle, so we used the train), and then in 2019 with my daughter and her boyfriend. On the 2nd occasion we found the Bird Sanctuary,  Flower Gardens, and a large lake, (there is also a Maze and children's playground, but no spaceships!).

In 2018 we explored all the richly decorated rooms, in the castle and had a meal in a mobile cafe on site. In 2019, we explored the grounds as well as inside of the castle. We found a restaurant in the grounds with a great view over the Castle and the moat as seen in the Panoramic photo on the right page.  They also had a little gift shop on the way out, with some beautify trinkets, ornaments, books etc. We had bought tickets which would allow us a free visit again this year, but with the Lockdown I don't know if we will be able to go again this year.

I, too, am at a disadvantage of not being where my pictures are ... but I did find one BIG picture of mine -- one of the cruise liners that passes by the field in front of my house in the summer and fall. I used that. The lighthouse one is mine, too ... all of the other pictures of the actual cruise boat I got online. I find this liner fascinating when it comes as it has a big crane boom structure that slides in and out and apparently for a few extra dollars you can go up and take pictures as it swings around all sides of the ship. It's really high in the air, too! We can see this boom LONG BEFORE you can see the ship as it makes its way out of the harbor. I don't long to do a cruise, ever, but they sure are pretty going in and out. I can see why some love that kind of vacationing. I used to run out with the camera every time various liners went by, but they are so plentiful now I would spend most of my day on the front lawn. LOL Still, every now and again I catch a new one.

I learned a few things here making stamps...(When making the holes, Snap to guides is great)..I went a little overboard on the Inner bevel on the single stamp,....but I like it cause Ican see it...lol) . I hope some of you recognize this fella from a better time in life IMO