BOOTCAMP - May 2020

Cassel

This is my 2nd incorporating the suggestion you made, Cassel.  However, I still wanted to bring the eye up to the top right corner as well, so I removed the glitter tube, copied the flower several times with an adjustment in the size, and grouped 3 in the bottom left corner and one in the top right corner.  I think I concentrated more in this scrapbook, and have learned a lot.

Thanks - I really am enjoying all the ideas each participant has.

Carole, you asked on Day 10 to share one thing we learned or discovered so I can say that within the discovery of a new hobby/activity of Scrapbooking (which I had not encountered before) the technique of Pasting as a new Layer (Ctrl L) is a fundamental learned.

For our last project (5) I have not added much embellishment as it was already quite busy looking. I created the shape of the translucent paper behind the body text by using the Pick Tool's Free Mode option. The I in PISA I created from a duplicated text layer and then merged the two layers.

I have had trouble saving the file as a jpg; after resizing to 600 pixels, the body text vanished so I have made a Windows Snip of it for the forum.

Apart from the saving issue the Materials Palette seems to require multiple clicks before applying a colour or pattern. The Move Tool (is this also called the Pan Tool?) does not snap to Guidelines so I gave up on that.

Problems aside it has been a useful exercise and thank you for your relaxed tuition.

Day 9, Project 4. My 3 pictures are from a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2019. The exotic Birds were magnificent and it was a hard choice picking among them. For the project, I think I hit all the design points in the tutorial. From a learning standpoint I am getting much more comfortable with using text and modifying it along with layering elements Next up Day 11 and the final project.

Day 11 - Project 5 Concentration.  I really enjoyed this tutorial and have learnt a lot from this bootcamp.  Thank you Carole for your tuition and for all the tips you have shown in your videos.  I closely followed this one as well.  I am getting to grips with the text tool, and liked the idea of an object being used for one of the letters.

So, here is my finale, this is my other granddaughter who is giving someone a telling off, (probably her grandad)! I have been waiting to do something with this photo for a long time, and this was just the right opportunity.

The background was from one of the scrapbook downloads, the square swirls I had in my store of backgrounds, together with the frame, and flowers.  I did use the colourize button to change the colour of the flowers and the frame, a really  useful tip Carole, thank  you.  The words were from the film "City Slickers" a great film, although I changed the last word to "diddly squat" rather than "**@!" used in the film.

I had not used the select tool before to enter text into, or notepad so that I can have my text ready and waiting, yet another good tip!

BTW Sue, love your graphic that background is awesome.

I've enjoyed playing with the layouts.  This one was from our camping rally in October.  I added the robots and did a harder shadow on both the robots and arrow. I thought the arrow was cut out of a thicker fabric, in my opinion

One more project to do

Here is my take on busy bees.  I have wanted to do a scrapbook page about rainbows, so picked out some from my travels.  I enjoyed how different participants have used pawprints walking around on the paper, or footsteps, etc., so I used the rainboot to walk across the bottom and up part of the left side.  I am working at color replacement with the fill tool and the color palettes (I seem to have trouble with that color palette).  I did make a duplicate of the vector layer and converted it to a raster layer in order to make shadows.  Learned a lot this bootcamp - color replacing; working with the text tool and its layer; guides; using "pinking sheers" to change the edges of a piece of paper; especially getting familiar with LAYERS!

Well, thought I would ask for forgiveness....LOL........as the last scrapbook assignment of boot camp. It is Memorial Day in a few days here in America.  I wanted to honor those who have fought for the freedom we have had for years. The pictures are all taken by me as I paid my respect at all the locations. Pic of the flag and pole was taken at Normandy American Memorial in France and same for the burial site with all the crosses.  The lower left pic is from Hawaii in Pearl Harbor (The Arizona Memorial). The lone Rifle/Helmet came from the WWII American Museum. The fighter jets are from a few days ago when the Thunderbirds flew in my city where I live to honor all those who are the first line of CODV-19 virus.

Here's my day 9 layout I am so glad I was able to finish this I used a kit from Farrahs Designer Scraps called Enchanted Garden I made the striped paper myself and the photos are of the park in the city I live in taken earlier this spring

Mireille, très jolies fleurs. Puis-je suggérer de déplacer la fleurs qui est en bas à droite juste pour éviter de la couper sur le bord de la page? Je crois qu'il manque une ombre sur le papier à pois en bas des photos.

Tami, I am glad you jumped in, even if only today. On the first project, is that a photo of your family? If so, you might want to add a date! You look already comfortable with the shadows. That is good!

Shirley, glad to see those pinking edges! I think you might have forgotten some shadows, like on the photos, on the ricrac on top and the little bees. If those flowers are in your garden, why not say so on the project??

Krystyna, I think you have learned that this new hobby might become addictive! That photo of your granddaughter is adorable and beautifully showcased!

Sue, that last project is so delicate. That lace frame is great!

Dawn, those are great family photos. Is it possible that you slightly squished the middle photo a little bit? On your last project, I think that some of the shadows are inconsistent with others. I see the shadows of the photos toward the bottom left, while the papers have a shadow toward the bottom right. Another tip is about the shadow on your title. Although it is ok to add a shadow on titles (as if the letters are cut from papers for example), it mostly works on simple fonts; you are using a curly and thin font, so the shadow makes a double line which affects the legibility. I think that in this case, the shadow would not be necessary.

Mary, I see what you mean about wanting the eye to go to the top too. Maybe you can find a different single flower that is a bit larger? Would that balance to your liking? I think in the rainbow project, one boot has a double shadow. Is that possible? I love reading about all the things you learned in this Bootcamp. That was the whole goal!

Fiona, the text not resizing is a particular annoyance of the Wrapped text: in fact, the selection you created to enclose your text is still there but that didn't resize either, so your text is in the selection which is outside of your image. That is another reason to have a duplicate of the Text layer and rasterize it. That will resize as expected.

Joy, I am glad that you are getting more comfortable with the Text tool. It has so much potential to create interesting effects. One suggestion I would offer for your project is to move up the AK a little bit. The eye sees how it is just cut off a tiny bit on the edge. Or maybe it is just me being picky?

Darcy, you are playing well with the shadows. Your explanation that the arrow was made of a thicker material would definitely be associated with a larger shadow BUT you can at the same time, lower the opacity and increase the blur. Not by much, but a little bit more than for papers for example.

Jose, you don't need to ask for forgiveness as it is ok to create this layout. The only reason I suggest following the tutorials a bit closer is to help me determine which project each participant submitted, but also to ensure that you practice the various techniques shown in the videos. But maybe you are already familiar with them?

Keep your projects coming. Remember that if you post 4 of the 5 projects, your name will be entered into our random draw on Monday night.

Although you have received your last project, you still have a couple of emails coming your way.

A change of colour for me this time and I  think I will go back and make the frame wider and perhaps another colour  .

It was great to see all the talent and imagination displayed on the pages during this Boot Camp and there is always something new to learn in the Paintshop Pro program.

Thanks Carole for running this course and sharing your knowledge.

Beautiful and creative layouts posted here. :)

Here is my Project #4

Papers: Sheila Reid "Vintage Paper" - Palvinka "WeLoveSummer"

Elements: dededsmith "AllThingsBrightBeautiful".

I used Cassel's "DistressedEdge" script and created the flair following her tutorial.

Fonts: Abraham - Ligurino - KGArrows

Day 11 Project 5

The photo was taken in Bulgaria during our river cruise in September 2009.

I don't know if we will ever go on another cruise!!!!!

The paper and elements were from Rush River kits.

WOOPS!

When I resize the image the text disappears!!!

I did it twice with different fonts.

Last project.  I had not looked before to see that there are several different shapes - not just rectangle.  Many possibilities here.  I did not bevel a frame that came in a kit, but I copied a frame and took out just the center of it by using the rectangle selection.  I didn't have a flower that fit, but the birds I thought would be good looking at the picture and I did use the Image>Mirror to put the birds in the direction I wanted them to be.  So I learned that this time too.  The button I used and the leaves in the bottom left corner were from the kit "gina jones pretty bird kit".  I have used color changer for some of the background papers and just retitled them when I saved them because I couldn't find just the color I wanted for the squares.  When I got them on the pspimage, I still wasn't happy so I changed the color again until I was happy.  I agree that putting notes down help to keep the things learned in the head.  I have decided that I will learn the effects and filters in PSP as there are many possibilities there and you can double and triple them so that you get just the effect you desire.  So I played around with that too, but not on these projects - just playing around!! Thanks so much for all you do, Cassel, and thanks to all the participants for their great creativity.

Day 11 - 5th Project

Hi Carole, I used regular layers and  painted most of them. The baby is my great grandson, another baby with the name of Samuel LOL. I learned how to use the paper as a pattern today. I have learned a lot from your  classes and tomorrow if I have a chance I will come and take note of the projects (what I learned). Thank yo so much for taking your time to help s learn. Have a blessed weekend.

Because Monday is Memorial Day, this is an ad that PA Senior Center put in our Memorial Day insert of our local paper.  When I was putting together this tribute I wanted the message to read across and the beginning of each sentence to reflect a message reading down.  After participating in the Bootcamp I thought it would look nice for our Historical Album to make a scrapbook page.  Thank you Cassel for making this possible.

Euka, I like the fact that you are already thinking of changes to your layout. That is something you can do all day long: changing the elements, changing the papers, changing the colors, etc. Glad you liked this Bootcamp.

Cristina, have you been using photos of the same people throughout? As you keep hiding their faces, I guess it is. If so, it will make a nice album for them!

Glenson, a wrapped text will not resize like the rest of a project. That is a bit of an annoyance with that function. The reason is that the selection you made to keep the text inside, does not resize (although it is still there) so the text is stuck in that selection that ends up outside of the image. That is one reason why it is important to make a duplicate of that Text layer and rasterize it. Then, it will resize and be visible. On your project, did you forget the shadows on your papers?

Mary, your frame is great! Isn't it fun to explore the tools in PSP? Although there are filters that can give more effects, I tend to focus on the native tools of PSP as they are already so powerful! As for the color, I'll dig it up but there is one setting that seems to affect the colors of the display. I'll let you know what it is.

Janice, personally, I find that the pink background shows up the details a bit more while the red background seems a bit overpowering. That is just my opinion. It is so cute to add that text bubble to the prairie dogs! Very clever. I noticed that your shadows are a little large for your elements. It does give a bit of the impression they papers and photos and titles are floating off the paper. For elements that are supposed to be "glued" to the paper, a thinner, and more opaque shadow would be more realistic.

Isabel, that is a cutie!!! I would suggest removing the shadows on the text as it makes it a little harder to read. Making a second layout without the video means that you are getting used to some tools! Good work.

Thanks for your remarks on my project.  Uploaded again with corrections and complete shadowing, I think as I went up the layers I didn't catch the hidden layers on the layers palette. These flowers were photographed  from a visit to Western Australia as listed in my original.  Not mine.

Well, better late than never. Here's the fourth project and I will start the 5th tomorrow. I am having a lot of problems with the text tool. I get confused with where the words show up since I can't seem to find them on a layer. Then when you are supposed to copy and hide one layer (the copy I believe) and save the other as a raster layer, I couldn't go back and find the two separate words. So I shadowed both words together. I enjoyed working with the photos as I was able to choose some earthy tones to match the fir tree. I keep going on the Internet to find Clip Art for embellishments to add to the project. Hopefully I will be able to make some sense of my notes when I go back to look at things in a week or two. Some really awesome projects with tons of creativity out there.

Day 11 Project 5

I had so much fun with this project. I found a great kit from Rush Ranch that had ideal elements. The only elements I had to search for was the gingerbread girl and boy and it wouldn't have been complete without them. The subject was the gingerbread house that is built every Christmas at the Grand Floridian Resort since 1999. I chose the papers for the background, blue paper which I trimmed with the eraser, and green paper with the rounded rectangle. I selected a rectangle and pasted the gingerbread recipe text. I enclosed the area in a frame and adjusted the font size accordingly. I overlaid the flower on the frame with one that I liked better. I used 2 separate elements to make the ornament on the top of the frame. I duplicated and mirrored the holly berries and merged them into one raster layer with the bells. I found some journal cards for the jingle bell theme. I pulled in three wrapped packages, duplicated and resized them and arranged in a pile.

The only shortcut I couldn't remember was the CTRL Y  to repeat the settings on the drop shadow. I feel much more at ease now with the rasters, vectors and layering. And text input and modification no longer baffles me.

I have enjoyed the boot camp. I have learned a lot from the projects and even more from reading all the boot campers posts, questions, issues  and your comments. I am looking forward to tackling the Basic Scrap Course next.

Thank You.

I love Everyone's work you all so cool.

Hi Carole, I got all my projects in still shooting for the drawing. I cant work my scripts tried so hard. I just cant do it alone yet. Some things have got so MUCHo easy and some well the tubvector I cannot for the life of me hours of tryng make that following the text with rope grrr... but I am not giving UP. When It worked on that project it was so exciting to me, I was so happy. Thank you for Helping me

On my lesson This is my bruce and Thor, Hes a super big dog hes my daughters and is like 16 yrs old, and starting to have problems walk but hes the sweetest guy. My Granddaughter is 18 now shes always said hes her brother, all the animals Love Thor cats dogs don't matter.

THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE AND Helping us all, I APPRECIATE YOU.