BOOTCAMP - May 2020

Cassel

I have completed our Project 1 and feel I have done a better job than my first attempt in the March Bootcamp and have in the process incorporated all the elements Cassel has featured in her tutorial. I enjoyed this one a lot more but still take ages to do anything.

I have encountered 2 issues that I have not yet got to the bottom of: I tried to crop the photo after I had pasted it as a new layer into the main canvas and the crop affected all the layers. As a result I had to redo. The second problem is another technique one, having made a selection of one of the paper backgrounds, I wanted to move the selection area to another part of the paper for a different colour effect. I didn't know how to do that.

Good morning. A little behind the times, but I am working on catching up. First time using PSP so I had to figure out how to save a photo as 600. Not sure I've done it right but I have uploaded our new grandchild which unfortunately we have not been able to hold - yet.

I chose a background of light grey and closed both the Learning Center & Organizer. Windows has been "untabbed," ruler has been checked and the 300 ppi was the default setting. I left the materials palette as it is.

I am not a scrap booker but I would like to learn how to create some interesting keepsakes for the photos that I take or have been sent. We also have 2 other grandchildren who unfortunately are in another country and we can only visit by FaceTime. I would like to send them their 'shared' photos back as a keepsake and if possible get them involved in creating their keepsakes - ages 8 and 12.

I am looking forward to learning a lot.

Stay safe.

Marica

I love any kind of Potatoes even if they are yams. yipppeeee I dont think I had a problem one, and there again was No fussing. Only Fun. I am there on this part :) yipppeee again no Fussin. :) I liked your spatter of dots so copied them and put them in mine, and I made it a tube too, and put tiny lil ones everywhere I love Tubes the most. First time it was Only fun. thank YOU...

Marcia Beautiful Baby, I have 9 and I cant hug them their parents bring them over and I hugged their backs. But I am a Granny that picks them up if I can. But I am so hands on its hard. And so Scary right now. Loved everyone's work too.

Carole I had no problems at all on last 2 and I did it your way. Loved it. thank YOU

I enjoyed putting together my first page.  for the background I used the picture bg and just blurred it.  I was trying to find a picture tube with just bear tracks and did not find one.  Would be interested in learning more about picture tubes.

May Challenge - Day 3

Sorry to be late to the party... I did not see the emails till today and now I am trying to catch up.

I consider myself to be an experienced beginner at the software. I have done a few things many times but have barely dipped my toe in the water when it comes to most of the functionality.

Having watched today's video, I became quite excited - this is exactly what I was hoping to find a few years ago after an amazing trip to the southern hemisphere. I had hundreds of amazing photos. All of which I now find that I have somehow deleted. I found I had uploaded a few on a photo site (now low quality, unfortunately) so will use those for this class.

1. The background is a photo of a floor on a boat that we took around the lake in Queenstown.

2. Not a very flattering photo in so many ways...but here we are on an incredible day in Milford Sound. Due to a snowfall the night before, only eighty of us were on the huge boat. And it was the ONLY boat on the Sound.

3. I found a Maori tattoo image that I cleaned up a bit and then inserted three times with various degrees of opacity to simulate a stamp.

4. Found some water drops that I duplicated several times going down the center of the page.

Day 3. I had uploaded the image but I didn't see it come through. I didn't like the way I did it, I might redo it tomorrow. The baby on the picture is my great grand son Samuel. I have not meet him yet, they live in the State of Alabama, Thanks for the lesson Carole.

Good Afternoon,

This is my first time scrapbooking with PSP, I'm a very long time user of the program, I'm a retired photographer.  Today was my 1st attempt at scrapbooking because I'm the Historian for our cities Senior Center, we decided to go digital for our scrapbook.  So, I'm hoping that by going digital I will be able to work more efficiently and make our book look more professional.

Thank you, Cassel! Over the years I have watched countless (very impressive) videos on how to use this software. Every time, I walk away thinking "way over my head" (but doesn't stop me from upgrading!). I appreciate your repeating the concepts over and over so we can understand it. I knew about layers...but never understood how incredibly useful they could be and how to save a file retaining the layers. How much time I could have saved if I'd found you earlier!

Hi, this is my first bootcamp. I have been a PSP user since before it was bought by Corel. The product has changed very much over the years and I haven't kept up very well. So I thought this bootcamp was just what the doctor ordered. Here's hoping we all have lots of fun and learn a lot.

Darcy, glad you found one trick to make your life easier with PaintShop Pro. Blurring the background photo is a great way to use any photo, even a bad one. To create bear track tubes (or tubes of any tracks), you can do it manually but there is also a useful tool that several members have been using, which is the Custom Directional Tuber script (of course, you need to know how to use scripts too! ;) )

Glenson, thanks for sharing your process to get your brown bread. Those instructions might help other participants.

Robert, just to make things clear for me to track, was the Scrapbook cover a separate project or your Project #1?

Sue, that is an interesting twist on the basic design. That round photo makes it unique.

Fiona, the crop command is always applying to the image, and not the layer. Some commands are like that, so you have to find a different way to achieve the result you want. In order to move a Selection, you have to right-click on the selection and you should be able to move it. You can check this article that uses that tip.

Krystyna, even if following the exact same tutorial, your layout is completely different. Isn't that great? You have managed the shadows pretty well too!

Marica, you seemed to have resized the image correctly for the forum! and don't worry, you should be able to catch up. You still have almost 2 weeks! Although we might not see how to change colors, it can definitely become a tutorial.

Cindy, you are definitely improving as you are getting more comfortable with your PSP!

Lynda, you are using those confetti very nicely with that theme!

Carol, that is a great start! I really thought you used the perspective on purpose as it is really fitting well in the page. You will see that there are a LOT more of those tutorials in the Campus :)

Shirley, that is a cute take on the title of "New kid on the block"! And that photo is fantastic!

Isabel, it is ok if you don't have a date. After all, with the layered version of your project, you can add the exact date later! I think, however, that you resized the photo in height and not from a corner handle, which tends to squish that cute little face!

Janice, with your photography skills, and your comfort with the program, I am sure you will make wonderful and professional looking albums, I promise! If I could give one suggestion is to make your shadow a bit smaller on the text, as it is expected to be flush on the paper (unlike the plane, which is ok to fly off!). It would make your title even easier to read too.

Mary, I like how you use the strip horizontally instead of vertically like I did it. The result is great. Have you added some shadows? Either they are missing, or they are too small. Have a peek at your layered version and see.

Joan, that is ok to use the suggested kit. That is why I suggested it! For a first scrapbook page, it is a great intro into your little world. Are we going to see more of your garden?

Mireille, excellent début. Une suggestion pour ta page: note le coeur plus épais en haut de ta photo. Il serait plus logique de l'avoir SUR la photo que dessous! (Translation: a suggestion for your page: notice that the thick heart on top of the photo, it would be more logical to have it ON TOP of the photo than UNDER)

There is no new lesson tomorrow, so those who have not completed their first page, or those who started late, that will be one day for you to catch up. 

Loving the imagination and ingenuity of the pages posted here.... I look and think what a great idea how effective and how come I don't think of something like that!!

My background is the same image as in my photo using the simple 4way average filter.  The panel is taken from the photo and the frame is from a tutorial I liked.  The autumn leaves are supposed to represent the passing of time.

The photo was taken by me in Gwalia, West Australia.

Hi, Carole and friends!

Yes I went back to Sammy and Charlie this morning and added shadows, changed the font of the date.  I really had trouble getting that rectangle to go horizontal! played with giving shadow to the text but that didn't look right.  I had to keep your tutorial up and refer back to it frequently both yesterday and today.  I am playing around with where to put the projects and where to put scrapbooking tools.  I decided to make new folders under Corel Paint Shop Pro main heading since I have several copies of PSP as I almost always get the upgrade in Ultimate.  You had mentioned in one of your pdf books that PSP 7 or 8 is better at getting an old colored photo which is faded with time to "smarten up" and look like new.  For some reason I had a problem with finding drop shadow until I went over your tutorial this morning.  Love how you teach.

First, I want to ask for forgiveness after the fact, since I did more than requested in the lesson as when I completed it looked boring to me. So here is what I did …. I went to one of your links to get a free kit and did so of a company you gave a thumbs up. Second, I added another picture frame to add another picture from the kit, I erased behind the frame to add a picture there and then realized I did not have to but just left it alone. I changed the color of the kit by picking sepia. I added then the date. I added Paris which was part of the kit. Finally, the boredom hit and copied the pictures from the original file and used the plug in called Pic to Painting to convert to give it some pizzazz. Finally, I do not expect to win or be in the running. Just want to follow your camp to see if I learn additional items and not be cancelled out of class. I have so far so thank you for that. Will try to follow your request in the future.