Love Story Challenge

Cassel

@ Teri, from the screen capture that you have posted (and that is a great idea), I can see that the second "box" underneath the swatch is activated and that is the Texture. It looks like the swatch is not really transparent, but has a dotted texture. Just click on that second box to deactivate it, and you should see your pattern in full.

Here are my Day 3 and 4 pages, still trying to catch up. Day 3 shows the two of us after Russell won his Championship (I had been his caddy) and the individual shots of each of us with our trophies. The background kaleidoscope pattern was from a small square I picked under the verandah and then the layer was reduced in opacity to make it more subtle. The two individual photos were quite different in colour so I used the sepia toning to match the background and make them look the same.

Day 4 was fun trying to make my own mask. I used the background from Day 1 which I thought was interesting without being overpowering, and the words of the Beatle's song said everything I wanted to say.

I have been using Springer font on the pages, until Day 4 when I used Variane Script for the song and Maphylla for the red words. The heart was from Escale Amoureuse.

Now on to the others.

I give big kudos to all. I love seeing all the imaginative layouts.

And @ Cassel~~Thank you so much for all your work. It has been a blast. I have learned so much. I have had such trouble with masks, but will now use them and know what I am doing. It was so great to get immediate feedback.

Challenge 5

I couldn't find a heart cut out so I used a brush and added color instead. I made my frame. I used pre-designed papers to save time. My original thought was to use two papers, a darker one underneath, but couldn't figure out how to place the layers to do that with the mask. I rather like the end result even if it isn't quite what I planned. :-)

@ Vickie, on your Day 3 layout, is it possible that you have used the mask before making it a negative image? It looks like it is hiding part of the photo instead of showing it, especially in the center. For the Day 2, I wonder if you also placed the photo on top of the mask so it is still showing as a dark area around the photo. Another tip: when using those types of masks with faint or blurred edges, you can often get away with enlarging your photo much more as the viewer kind of expects that this effect will affect the photo quality, so if enlarging the photo gives a blurriness to it, it will look intentional, and we can still have a look and enjoy that pretty photo!

@ Teri, what effect did you want to achieve with the heart as a mask? Did you want to show the picture inside the heart or just have the heart show part of the image where it is currently red?

@ Cristina, what brush did you use for that last mask? It looks like a combination of several brushes. Is that right?

@ Rizzi, that zombie party looks like fun!

@ Marlene, you will end up with a nice album with those pages!

@ Cheryl, that Bokeh gives such a magical and romantic look to your page!!! Using a black background always seems to bring out the colors of the photo!

@ Dawn, the choice of color for your background paper just matches perfectly with the age of the photo! Good choice! Also, a softer Bokeh was a good adjustment to the technique for feel of the layout about Ernie.

@ Bonnie, using the black background for the Bokeh is a great choice. I wonder if the background of the photo was also black or if you just managed to focus on the faces with the mask to the point of completely removing the photo background. Either way, it turned out fantastic.

@ Leslie, although you could have used a mask for Day 7, it is ok not to. Now you have the techniques you can use, but you don't have to use them all, all the time either!

Although many of you have already gone through all 7 days of the challenge, some are still working through the tutorials. All the work posted here is fantastic. For those who have completed the 7 days, you will get an email about a survey. Make sure you fill it, so it will help me create more challenges in the future!

Day 7 - I was able to do the background, but when added to the picture it appeared like the picture was sitting on top. Ha! I ended up making the background barely visible and it looks somewhat better. I'll have to keep practicing the text, I just couldn't get it quite right. My text has the sculpture effect, but that's all. This is a picture I took at my home. I'm passionate about saving the pollinating bees. Cassel, I want to thank you so much for all that I have learned! I've been using Corel starting way back to Photo Paint 8 and never learned about layers and masks. This was fun and educational. Everyone's pages are all so awesome!