Downloading PNGs from free sites

Julie Magerka

10 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I've asked about this problem previously. I download a PNG, use Open as New Layer, and it comes in with a white (or dark) background. Today, I tried using OPEN, and it came in as a proper transparent background! Go figure! But that makes me happy!

I find the supplies offered as transparent PNGs don't always deliver the goods. I always test the checkered background with my eraser tool because many times I've found that they've been faked. Usually can be fixed easily, though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I find the supplies offered as transparent PNGs don't always deliver the goods. I always test the checkered background with my eraser tool because many times I've found that they've been faked. Usually can be fixed easily, though.

That is my experience too Ann

• Like 3

On 9/3/2024 at 7:14 PM, Cassel said:

That is strange. I really use this script to add all kinds of png elements and I never had issues. Does it happen with all PNG?

No, but it seems to be most of the free ones I download. It's not a big deal, but it happens often enough. All I do is run a search again for another one with a transparent background, or just leave it out of the layout. The background removal takes me too long.

• Like 2

Just as a reminder, in case it can help some users, when downloading images from those PNG sites, it is important to use their download links and NOT right-click on the image to "save as...". It might not be the case, but I have often seen users do that, thinking it would download the PNG version, but that only downloads the jpg preview/thumbnail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Just as a reminder, in case it can help some users, when downloading images from those PNG sites, it is important to use their download links and NOT right-click on the image to "save as...". It might not be the case, but I have often seen users do that, thinking it would download the PNG version, but that only downloads the jpg preview/thumbnail.

I always use the download links and sometimes that goes totally fine and sometimes I encounter the above mentioned problems. I have no clue why that happens; it is annoying but like Ann said that background can be removed. If I want to have that particular png I will do so otherwise I'll search for something else instead.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

No, but it seems to be most of the free ones I download. It's not a big deal, but it happens often enough. All I do is run a search again for another one with a transparent background, or just leave it out of the layout. The background removal takes me too long.

I think PSPs Background Eraser was the first tool I got really handy with in the early days... 

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2024 at 3:07 PM, Cassel said:

I don't ever use "save as". Always the download link. Just a quirky thing I guess about which are really transparent and which are not. I think it's getting harder to find truly "free" images and clipart. Every site wants something back from me. My email, or sign up for free for a trial, or pay. Harr-rumph! I'm tired of giving my info everywhere!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I don't ever use "save as". Always the download link. Just a quirky thing I guess about which are really transparent and which are not. I think it's getting harder to find truly "free" images and clipart. Every site wants something back from me. My email, or sign up for free for a trial, or pay. Harr-rumph! I'm tired of giving my info everywhere!

I so agree with you! And I don't want to give my info everywhere any longer. Sometimes it is also very difficult to unsubscribe from sites if I'm no longer interested.

• Like 2