Newsletter chitchat - August 6th, 2024

Cassel

I usually only watch the gymnastics if I can catch it. I did floor and balance beam in high school way back when Cathy Rigby was the U.S. "star" gymnast in the early 70s. One year I qualified for the NY city-wide competition. The only reason was that at one meet there was a new judge who gave me a 7.6 score which was much higher than normal. I came in 10 out of 10. LOL 

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

I am not a fan of any sports, and it frustrates me that Sport dominates our TV channels with one large event after another. My husband is a BIG sports fan and loves to watch all the sports, especially football as he goes to all the football matches. So we have our own TV's in this house so that I don't have to watch it, but they cancel many of my favourite programs, and weekends is mostly sport!! Hubby is constantly talking to me about sport, and who has won the medals for UK. and other stories! 

I do catch some of the sport, including Diving, Tom Daily is our UK champ, who also has a passion for knitting, even when in the audience watching other divers! (He is a great knitter). I have in the past watched gymnastics and trampoline as my daughter used to do those sports and was a trampoline coach. Now she does Zumba, (she is a coach for Zumba). She does Hoop, not as high as you see in the circus and previously did Pole Dancing,-not in clubs, just learning in a group. 
Me and sport does not mix, my son is like me in that respect, though he loves walking and recently joined a gym just to stay healthy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lyn Lou said:

I am not a fan of any sports, and it frustrates me that Sport dominates our TV channels with one large event after another. 

Several years ago there was a sports surcharge on my cable bill. I spoke to customer service and asked that all sports channels be removed from my account as I don't watch them. I was told they were included in the basic cable package and they couldn't remove the surcharge. I was not amused.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Michele said:

Several years ago there was a sports surcharge on my cable bill. I spoke to customer service and asked that all sports channels be removed from my account as I don't watch them. I was told they were included in the basic cable package and they couldn't remove the surcharge. I was not amused.

That's awful. <hugs>
My husband has the sports package as he watches all the sport.....fortunately, I can work in my little office and watch non-sport programs, though the main channels have the Olympics and some of the non sport programs have been moved to another channel, as myself and others complained as the sport was replacing our regular programs! I suggested they move our programs to the other channels, and they have recently started doing that for some of the popular non sport programs. 

• Like 1

I don't follow any specific sport except the major horseraces like the Kentucky Derby. My tv connection for streaming went out last week and I ended up watching the Olympics on cable for lack of a better choice. I was lucky enough to catch Simone Biles with her routines and that was very satisfying. I didn't have to be an enthusiast of the Olympics to appreciate her talent. I also get annoyed on weekends when sports seem to dominate the cable channels and I'm appreciative of my streaming device where I can watch anything, old or new, on my own terms. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched the Olympics for many years. When I did the sports I enjoyed were swimming, diving, volleyball and beach volleyball. One of my uncles was a swimming and diving coach for our small town for many years. I even tried diving with his daughters on the team for awhile. No talent here at all! And, our family gatherings on the summer holidays always included volleyball games. I was so short that I didn't enjoy playing but loved watching them. My cousin that helped me through my surgeries was a volleyball player and then coached when she taught in her small town. Her daughter also played and ended up getting a scholarship to play volleyball in college so I was able to go to a couple of her matches when they played in Dayton.

I did have the Olympics on in the afternoon last week, catching some of the events live but it was mostly background noise. I have looked for videos online when I've heard about some of the things that have happened, like the race that was a photo finish in track.