Newsletter chitchat - June 19, 2024

Cassel

From me a photo of a butterfly that is quite common in my part of the world, however the last couple of years the numbers of all the butterfly species are dramatically going down. This is the Atalanta on a flower, in Latin Vanessa atalanta and I believe in English it is called the Red admiral. We have a gardencenter directly in our neighborhood and there are always butterflies there and that is where I had the chance to take this photo. For the different kinds of butterflies it must be like a sweetshop over there. Our patio is very small and we do not get many butterflies and if we have some it is mostly during the day when they flutter from one plant to the other  and won't sit still long enough for a photo. Early morning when they are warming up is the best moment for taking photos.

Atalanta (Red Admiral).jpg

• Love 3

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Here is my first encounter with a Luna Moth. That is quite pretty for a moth!

luna moth.jpg

It's a beautiful creature! I've never seen one. With such a short lifespan, one wonders what it accomplishes in its time.

In southwest Ontario, in communities near the lake(s), we get an infestation of fishflies (also called mayflies and shadflies) in June. They have an interesting and short lifespan. When they emerge from underwater to procreate (their sole purpose), they create swarms in the hundreds of thousands. Wherever there is light at night (street lights, shop windows, houses, etc), they congregate and leave piles of dead carcasses on sidewalks and streets. They also smell. But they are harbingers of a healthy water system so should be more welcome than they are. The clean up is often done with hoses and shovels. It's a typical early summer event. (All pix from online, local postings)

fish flies on car.jpg

fish fliies sidewalk.jpg

fish fly clseup.jpg

• WOW 2