Newsletter chitchat - June 20

Cassel

This will be a distracted week for me, what with the arrival of Jonah and to top that, my eldest daughter Debbie has arrived from Mendocino, CA, on one of her semi-yearly visits. She went from Newark Airport to New York City last night, to visit old college chums and tour some new art exhibits, namely drawings by Georgia O"Keefe and a new Andy Warhol exhibition. Deb is the grandmother of little Magic and mother of my granddaughter Anna and grandson Will. She is an AIA Architect and the driving force behind of several art galleries in coastal Mendocino. We will get together on Friday with daughter Laurey and granddaughter, Jackie, for a trip  upstate to the The Wild Animal Park in Chittenango, NY, which is near Binghamton. We will do their Safari which will cut down on all the walking usually involved with visiting zoos. Then, Saturday is little great-grand Sonya's 3rd birthday and there's a bash planned at the local firehouse in Pine Island, NY, after which I will go out to dinner with Deb and one of her old high school mates in Warwick, NY. Hopefully, I will have Sunday to rest! Whew! Meanwhile, Deb will travel to her step-mother's at the Jersey Shore and from there back to Newark Airport on Tuesday. I call her my "whirlwind." Deb will be 63 this year... ?

DebbieLennox_600.jpg

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

For your gnome railings, would something like this work? 

Actually, I was thinking of possibly having posts and maybe wires or rope between them as they would not need to be perfectly even. I like the chain idea but will have to test how to fasten them (remember we have cold and snow here in the winter). But I sure will do some testing. I'll see what I can find as far as chains.

Thanks for the idea!

I was thinking the same thing also, Anne!

Small dowels might work...or perhaps sewing needles and thread thin wire through them. Push/hammer them into the step as deep as you can without going through. Perhaps a small square piece of wood at the base of the needle...this might support it more and give it the look of a baluster/pickets/spindels. Wider at the bottom, more narrow at the top.

37 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

Before I posted the chain idea, I had looked to see if it was available by the yard etc.  Some of the crafting sights even had it on a spook for not to much.

Something to consider is whether it would fare well outdoors, like under the rain. But definitely something to look into! And I should be going to Michael's this weekend for the birthday party. I can look to see if they have something.