Newsletter chitchat - March 21

Cassel

Cassel,

OMGosh  Xavier, not letting go of his Uncle  Gabriel's hand Ild want to hold it to sounds Scarry Hang mans house.   I went to school in California Bridge Street school it was on the lang of the old town Hangmans court house I think it was haunted.   Scarry lol    To cool to have all those Loved ones with you ?

• Love 1

I wouldn't say this historical village is near me as I live in BC and Highland Village is in Iona, NS. A few years ago my wife and I decided to return to NS for a memory tour. We were both in the Navy and received our basic training a HMCS Cornwallis near Digby. NS. As we toured the province on our way to Sydney, we found, by chance, this wonderful little farm that was set up as a historical representation of when the Scottish first settled in Nova Scotia. The people there were dressed in costume of that period, as were the buildings and contents. The best part of this adventure was that people you spoke to talked as if the past time period was now. When you asked a question they answered as if it was the 18  century. We felt like we had just time travelled back 200 years. Well worth a visit. 

2017-10-06-04 Highland Village.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Art Kuiper said:

I wouldn't say this historical village is near me as I live in BC and Highland Village is in Iona, NS. A few years ago my wife and I decided to return to NS for a memory tour. We were both in the Navy and received our basic training a HMCS Cornwallis near Digby. NS. As we toured the province on our way to Sydney, we found, by chance, this wonderful little farm that was set up as a historical representation of when the Scottish first settled in Nova Scotia. The people there were dressed in costume of that period, as were the buildings and contents. The best part of this adventure was that people you spoke to talked as if the past time period was now. When you asked a question they answered as if it was the 18  century. We felt like we had just time travelled back 200 years. Well worth a visit. 

Interesting that it was not part of a larger "settlement". But yes, at Kings Landing, that is exactly how the interpreters talk to you. They really bring you into THEIR time.

• Like 1

There are several historical villages here as NY was settled hundreds of years ago. The only historical place I can remember going to (bad memory plus getting old) is Sagamore Hill here on Long Island. It was a beautiful day and very cool to see.

Sagamore Hill.jpg

• Like 1

My late husband and I lived and worked in the Historic Village of Warwick (NY) for over 40 years. No one goes around in period costume but there are many buildings restored to their original glory from the 16th and 17th centuries. It was dubbed the Queen's Village after the citizens rallied for King George during the Revolutionary War. Then General George Washington visited and stayed awhile. There was an iron forge that created this huge chain that was shipped to the Hudson River and stretched across to repel British invaders. 

BAIRD'S TAVERN-BOOTCAMP_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
corrected dates
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I live in Hays, Kansas, USA, once known as the wickedest town in the American West. George Armstrong Custer, Wild Bill Hickok, and Buffalo Bill Cody once roamed the streets here as the town, once known as Hays City, was adjacent to Fort Hays Army Post. You might remember it being referenced in the movie 'Dances with Wolves'. Custer's Seventh Calvary was encamped here for a while. Hickok was sheriff for a while. Buffalo Bill was here whenever the millions of buffalo were going through the area. Matt Dillon (James Arness) made several trips from Dodge City to Hays City for trials and such on the TV show 'Gunsmoke'. The town celebrated 150 years in 2017.

• Like 1