digital diary

Marie-Claire

Is there perhaps someone who makes or has made a digital diary ?

I am looking for software to make a digital diary, where I can also add photos and decorations. 

Or would that be possible to make something like this in paintshop? but then how to organize the different pages to form a whole?

• Like 1

Do you want something that will be printed or something that you will keep digital?

Is that something to show or for yourself only?

For tangible goods, I know of what is called "Traveller's Notebooks", but I am not sure about digital versions. 

I am sure something can be done in PSP.

• Like 1

Look at the Microsoft free program "One Note". If you are familiar with using any Microsoft office program, you will see it is very easy to use. You can insert photos and even spreadsheets. You can add audio and video and there is even a tab for drawing.

To use it you just set up a notebook. Within that notebook, you can add sections. And in each section you can add pages (think of them like a chapter). For instance, many years ago when I was trying to learn to knit, I set up a notebook called "Knitting". I have 2 Sections - General and Team Score Scarf. For example in the General section, I have 3 pages: 12x12 square, Mom's afghan which has a sub-page Afghans Bev made. I had found her notes on the pattern for an afghan she made so it is in there. Along with that she had a list of all the afghans she made over the years. I could include any photos I have of those afghans as well.

I have other notebooks as well and find that this program is a good place to consolidate info from various places.

The program could very well be used as a diary. I believe there is an app for it that could be used on a tablet or a phone but the good thing is that it also works on a computer. It will sync to the other devices. Most diary programs are for use on tablets or phones only, not a computer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Do you want something that will be printed or something that you will keep digital?

Is that something to show or for yourself only?

For tangible goods, I know of what is called "Traveller's Notebooks", but I am not sure about digital versions. 

I am sure something can be done in PSP.

In the first place to keep digital because I've never kept a diary.
I'm thinking about that now because it would be nice to do something beautiful with PSP, and if I manage to keep a diary like that, it would be nice for my daughter later on. Then I might print it too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Look at the Microsoft free program "One Note". If you are familiar with using any Microsoft office program, you will see it is very easy to use. You can insert photos and even spreadsheets. You can add audio and video and there is even a tab for drawing.

To use it you just set up a notebook. Within that notebook, you can add sections. And in each section you can add pages (think of them like a chapter). For instance, many years ago when I was trying to learn to knit, I set up a notebook called "Knitting". I have 2 Sections - General and Team Score Scarf. For example in the General section, I have 3 pages: 12x12 square, Mom's afghan which has a sub-page Afghans Bev made. I had found her notes on the pattern for an afghan she made so it is in there. Along with that she had a list of all the afghans she made over the years. I could include any photos I have of those afghans as well.

I have other notebooks as well and find that this program is a good place to consolidate info from various places.

The program could very well be used as a diary. I believe there is an app for it that could be used on a tablet or a phone but the good thing is that it also works on a computer. It will sync to the other devices. Most diary programs are for use on tablets or phones only, not a computer.

Thank you Rene, for explaining this so well.
I'm going to look at it, it might be nice for my knitting and crocheting and for recipes.

I don't like working on tablets or phones very much, it's not easy for me, way too small.

Edited by Marie-Claire
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

Thank you Rene, for explaining this so well.
I'm going to look at it, it might be nice for my knitting and crocheting and for recipes.

I don't like working on tablets or phones very much, it's not easy for me, way too small.

I agree about tablets or phones but that seems to be where the best diary apps are. I do think One Note would work for what you want. You could set it up your way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 5:14 PM, Rene Marker said:

I do think One Note would work for what you want.

Marie-Claire: I use One Note all the time because it is the only place in a computer where I can be scatter-brained and not worry about saving things to separate folders. Each page can be a topic and go on forever. It has a useful Clip-to-It feature that I use to snag illustrations that otherwise I would not be able to save from the internet. One Note allows the clipped item to be copied or saved as a file, separately. I think of the program as a giant whiteboard and at the end of the day can just close it. Nothing has to be saved but will be there when I reopen it the next day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Marie-Claire, 

A long time ago I did that thing where you took a picture every day and put 7 of them together in a LO.  Scrap 365 I think it was called. It was hard! But I love looking at those pages!  Now that I’m even older, I want to add health stuff. Documenting,  “When *did* we get COVID? Was that 2021 or 2022?”
I saw this digital planner (it’s a blog post with a link to an Etsy store) and was captivated by it, but I’m not up for learning more software right now. https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/blog/april-2023-sticker-freebie   My idea on this was not to use it as a planner, but documenting what has happened.

2023 Memory Planner-25

i have heard of One Note, but I don’t pay for MS Office 360, just an old Version of Office, so I don’t think I actually have access to it.

Edited by Suzy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Suzy said:

i have heard of One Note, but I don’t pay for MS Office 360, just an old Version of Office, so I don’t think I actually have access to it.

One Note is a free Windows app. Don't have to have any version of Office to have/use it.

I've started using it again and have set up a notebook for Scrapbooking. I am working on getting all my notes from various places into it. So far my PSP tab in that notebook has the most information in it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Suzy said:

Marie-Claire, 

A long time ago I did that thing where you took a picture every day and put 7 of them together in a LO.  Scrap 365 I think it was called. It was hard! But I love looking at those pages!  Now that I’m even older, I want to add health stuff. Documenting,  “When *did* we get COVID? Was that 2021 or 2022?”
I saw this digital planner (it’s a blog post with a link to an Etsy store) and was captivated by it, but I’m not up for learning more software right now. https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/blog/april-2023-sticker-freebie   My idea on this was not to use it as a planner, but documenting what has happened.

2023 Memory Planner-25

12 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

One Note is a free Windows app. Don't have to have any version of Office to have/use it.

I've started using it again and have set up a notebook for Scrapbooking. I am working on getting all my notes from various places into it. So far my PSP tab in that notebook has the most information in it.

Suzy, I liked to learn new software, when I knew something I wanted to learn something new again.
But that's different now. I don't have as much patience as I used to. And can barely keep up with what we all learn here on the Campus ?
I had seen this blog post before Suzy, but just like you, I'm not going to start with new software anymore.
Rene, As for one note, I've seen that you don't need office for it, but what I don't like is, if I understand correctly, that everything is online. I don't feel very comfortable with that.
Suzy, Rene, my intention, is also, when I have found what to use, not to use it as a planner to document events and other things

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Rene, As for one note, I've seen that you don't need office for it, but what I don't like is, if I understand correctly, that everything is online. I don't feel very comfortable with that.

It is not online for the most part. The notebooks are saved on your hard drive. I do not use any of the online features of any Microsoft programs aka OneDrive. I have copied notebooks from old computers to new computers on my own. If you choose to sync your notebooks between computers or other devices (iPad, tablet, phone), then yes online is needed. I don't do that. I even have 2 computers (desktop and laptop) and I do not have them sync. I don't need everything on my laptop that I have on my desktop. When I do need something on the laptop I use a thumb drive to transfer the info.

• Like 1

Marie-Claire, I have worked on this a little since your post, as I wanted to do something like it, too. Etsy has digital diaries, and they have social media planners, regular planners, and calendars that start on Monday as I believe most European calendars do. BUT be careful! Some (most?) are .pdfs designed to be used in special software or with online Google Sheets.  I bought two, and I now have two useless .pdf files since I do ‘t have canva and I have Lt figured out .pdf in Google Sheets BECAUSE GOOGLE HAS LOCKED ME OUT!  This is probably temporary, but it needs to be brought to people’s attention if they are using Google sheets or doc.

soooo, my idea is to make a table in MS Word with 7 columns. Many rows.  If you want more Columns. Use legal paper horizontally.  On Etsy, they have little squares for “things to be grateful for”, “things to work on”, and general YGG stuff.

Just put your own days of the week, etc. then save and copy n paste for the rest of the months.  do your own numbers for dates.  copy n paste for other years?  To decorate, use the settings with the dog icon to get your stickers and so forth layered where you want them.

One thing I had been looking at was by Just Jaimee at The LilyPad. Look up her weekly templates (two pages facing each other). (They might be too raggedly for you.)  Cindy Schneider from the Sweet Shoppe has a number of templates, too.  And she has a lot of good ideas and monthly or weekly templates with appropriate colors.. 

and finally, there is MS Publisher, but you have to have MS Office. even an old version. This is what I would prefer, but for one thing: at any given time in the future, Microsoft could disable access to .pub files. And they could do it any number of ways. I’m distrustful, but if you plan to PRINT, then it would be ideal IMHO.

I would love to hear what you decide and see a more or less finished product when you finish a section…a month or week, I guess.  I am still enamored with those calendars of Marisa Lehrin’s.

• Like 1