Newsletter chitchat - January 10, 2023

Cassel

Hey, Cassel,

I read your newsletter just now, and I wanted to share with you something I learned from Genealogy classes I took from the Mormons in Fort Wayne, Indiana, their second genealogy capitol. As you scan those photos to 1200 dpi, do NOT save to .jpg or .png. Save to .tif.  It is widely regarded as the only photo format which will survive many, many decades into the future because of how it is compressed. Or at least think about it.

Suzy

• Love 1

Suzy, that's funny, I just commented on the blog post about how i'm saving to TIFF more often these days.  I read that TIFF and PNG are lossless compression that no matter how many times you open and close the file it retain it's full data.  Unlike JPGs that lose a bit of data each time.  I have also gone to shooting RAW files (insert YIKES face) because when I look at my RAW files next to my JPG files it's unreal how much data is lost in the JPG.  Once I edit the RAW (again insert the YIKES face, cause I dont know how to do it yet) I will save in TIFF or PNG depending what it is.  

Not all scanners can save to the tif format. I've had various scanners over the years and none of them saved in that format. So while it is a good idea, it isn't always possible.

I don't set any resolutions. Never have. I do set goals for my scrapping. This is the 17th year that I have set a page goal. This year is 200. Should be able to make it. Did 244 last year. I'm 10% of the way there already! I also have several theme projects underway and I'd like to catch them up to the present. And, in the month of challenges that I'm participating in, if an idea comes to me about other things to scrap, I write them down to do at a later time. A whole bunch of ideas for the stories of various heritage items in my house have popped into my brain after the challenge about that. It took me awhile to decide on what to scrap for the challenge!

21 minutes ago, Suzy said:

I read your newsletter just now, and I wanted to share with you something I learned from Genealogy classes I took from the Mormons in Fort Wayne, Indiana, their second genealogy capitol. As you scan those photos to 1200 dpi, do NOT save to .jpg or .png. Save to .tif.  It is widely regarded as the only photo format which will survive many, many decades into the future because of how it is compressed. Or at least think about it.

Thanks. I guess it might also depend on the scanner you are using. Also, PNG is lossless so it could be good. Either way, at this point, my husband has scanned so many pictures in the last months, I won't ask him to change!! He would look at me with flame throwers in his eyes! 

Files saved in .tif format are also said to keep layers, but that does not work with PSP which will flatten them, so I am not sure how well PSP handles those files. Something else to consider, I guess.

Yes, I set goals too.  I love the New Year and look forward to setting goals.  I know, call me neurotic.  I'm also known as the "Queen of Lists".  I think the organizing of my goals is what I like the most because I like to organize.  I have creative goals, health goals and personal/household goals (like organizing and culling stuff we dont need so we have more time to enjoyr the stuff we have).   Like Rene, I have a ton of ideas (for me it's photography) swirling around in my head, which in turn will be good for layouts.  And I want to get through the LABS at a much faster pace than I am now.  I should put a number on it as it would maybe make me more accountable.  

My scanner is over 15 yrs old and it used to do TIFF.  Now it complains and groans and only does 1/2 of what I'm scanning.  It even groans at 600 DPI (I do have a 1200 DPI setting) now.  Time for a new one, but it's very low on the priority list.  I really want one though because you can do some really fun creative stuff with scanners.  

I have no resolutions for this year! I never make them anymore because it turned out useless. But now I'm almost finished with rehab training after my hipreplacement, I plan to visit my daughter and her family a little later in the year. They recently moved from Washington State to California, work related. So a whole new area to see, although at the moment it isn't fantastic there with all the bad weather, luckily their new house is on higher ground. Now I'm able to go for longer walks I hope to take new photos of flowers as if I haven't yet enough And use them in many projects and challenges. I have a whole list of Labs and Elements I want to explore besides Masterclasses to watch. It always seems I do not have time enough, my normal social live must continue and last but not least I want to spend time with my husband. As we are not that young anymore you never know how long that will last.

For this week: we celebrate my hubbies birthday on friday and because it is possible again there will be visitors friday and in the weekend; so that means shopping, cleaning, cooking etc.

• Like 3

I did scan in a lot of photos now they are being held hostage on photosomthing or other, they want payment or they will all be delelted they wont let me choose to see which ones I want to save so for months they been threatening me ?     Hostage is what I feel.   But on a better note  My daughters scanned in a lot of pictures to and  I am a Diamond wanting to know how to make these pages,   I cant get thru a lab but the level beginners bootcamp I have done a handfull of times and I am signed up for the next cant wait.   I spin my wheels a lot ?   I wished there was a place I could get a study partner someone to talk to on the phone when I cant get thru labs ect.   Cassel always helps me but I dont know how she does so much she must 

just be made that way.  Wished I could of had a Mom  or even a Dad  the ones I got was unreal, but I lived thru it.  Thank God because my kids and grands are my biggest Blessings.  Some Foster Moms and 2 foster dads but the state always let my parents come back and take me so I never got adopted by a adult.    I was a good adult in my decisions towards my kids and others kids.  I was the Mom that did anything for any kid that came near me,  So I have made some really good in my life, thru the adult siblings,  non are killers  serial killers ect and My Children all 3 are good Christian Good Citizens  but I want to make pages  I have bought a lot but still haven't learned to use some scrips so trying hard to not buy anything till I learn and can do something usually  spinning your wheels and never getting anywhere is so Frustrating.     I know I need help, ive asked wrote this before but no one said anything to me about helping me get there,  But signed up for Bootcamp and Cant wait.. I want to be a pinch as good as  You guys,  or even the ones that dont give themselves credit... they are so amazing Suzy, susan  starting ppl...   The top people just blow me away with their talent like Cassel.

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I have no resolutions for this year! I never make them anymore because it turned out useless. But now I'm almost finished with rehab training after my hipreplacement, I plan to visit my daughter and her family a little later in the year. They recently moved from Washington State to California, work related. So a whole new area to see, although at the moment it isn't fantastic there with all the bad weather, luckily their new house is on higher ground. Now I'm able to go for longer walks I hope to take new photos of flowers as if I haven't yet enough And use them in many projects and challenges. I have a whole list of Labs and Elements I want to explore besides Masterclasses to watch. It always seems I do not have time enough, my normal social live must continue and last but not least I want to spend time with my husband. As we are not that young anymore you never know how long that will last.

For this week: we celebrate my hubbies birthday on friday and because it is possible again there will be visitors friday and in the weekend; so that means shopping, cleaning, cooking etc.

I never made resolutions either might of said going to try to get more fit exercise, or slow down and remember where I Put things ect.   But I have never had a Dream, wishes  ect  I didnt even think haveing a baby thru I never thought of them growing, or anything I just always try to do my best thats it.   all I ever knew to do is try to stay alive,  Now I have a few dreams, and goals to learned, fix, organize so many things Ive never even Hoped to think on before.     No new meds just want to see and its a good feeling to have a dream, hopes ect.     Happy Birthday for your Husand Friday!  He must be a really good Man like your a Good Woman.    Good People have given me a light at the tunnel  Ive tryed for.

• Thanks 1

I should probably expand on my resolutions.  I make them, but I dont care if I keep them.  Mostly they are a mental list in my head of what I want to do going forward from any given time.  You could say I make resolutions all year long.  Life is fluid and always changing and so I stay flexible for the unexpected things in life that take me in another direction.  Which is what the bootcamp did for me.  

• Love 1