Bootcamp - January 2020

Cassel

The borders around the pictures gave me fits until I remember that I had to change the setting to opacity. Of course, to help me remember, I replayed that section of the video (twice.)

I like the cutout trick, but I am not pleased with the outcome in this case. It will require more practice at another time.

I always check out your webinars. You do an excellent job of explaining and walking us through complicated steps. Working with projects in this course has taught me two things: 1. I knew more than I thought I did; and 2. I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Yay! I wasn't able to post in the forum yesterday, but I cleared my cache & cookies, and I'm back.  :)  So, this is what I wanted to post yesterday for my day 5 project.

Cassel & everyone,

Here is my day 5 project. I really liked this one too! I added another strip of paper, the dots, and I also added glitter around the blue paper. I know it's a little busy, but since it's about my niece, who was 7 at the time, the more color & glitter, the better.  :) I'm still liking the shadows I'm using, but I know I need to play around with them more.

Thank you for what to do with the text, that helps so much! Also, speaking of the text and also layers - when I was adding the title of Excitement, my text wasn't showing up, even though I did everything you said. I finally realized that I was on a different layer, the base paper, so the text was actually underneath the striped paper. Before learning about the layers, I would never have figured that out. So, I think I'm really getting the hang of moving layers around. And now making sure I'm on the right layer when adding my text.

This was fun! I do think my eyes are playing tricks on me though, because the papers are looking a little uneven. I think it's because of the stripes. Anyway, I still like it.  :)

P.S. I just realized that all my pics so far in these projects have been from 2017. I swear I have newer pics...haha...but these were all on my computer, instead of just using my phone. I'll need to pick more recent pics for the next couple of projects.

I did scrapbooking designs years ago using Adobe. I had a freelance contract to develop some alphabet books that were 12x12 inches. The job went south before completion and I filed it all away. I recently found the files, I misplace, hardly ever lose anything. Now 10 years, two computers later, and all new software. Day 4 tutorial with all my stuff and my great-nephew. I have to go back and see how I made those plaids because I just cannot remember and the ones I did recently do not have as nice a fabric look.

Sorry again, this was posted last night but it didn't show up. I suspect this is what might happen to some of you who don't see your posts.

Dorothy, I think there are some missing shadows on some of your elements from Day 7, especially on the bottom ones. Is this possible? I will try to make more tutorials on using the Text tool as you seem to be only one of several participants who have struggled with it.

Aletha, that Day 7 project with your father's photo is delightful. I love the background "paper" that you used as it is matching the theme very well!

Lydia, that project is so colorful! It catches my eye immediately! Glad to see that you were able to add the photo as a fill for the title. It goes very well with the rest. Happy that you like PSP and enjoyed the Bootcamp.

Gerry, no double post! But often, the SUBMIT button is sooooo slooooow! You are definitely getting comfortable with PSP now that you learn all those tricks! And yes, you can use just about anything to fill an area! Those frames are easy to make and it reminds you of several settings that you can now adjust more quickly as needed.

Henry, I have heard the expression "Football-widow" but now, you can invent "PSP-widow" :) Do you think your wife would like to learn too? About your last project, I would have one suggestion: make sure that the text does not overlap two surfaces as it makes it harder to read and is not realistic (yes, I am picky about realism).

Lynn, you did a great job with the frame as I would not have noticed it was "redrawn". I see you are using shadows on all your elements. I think they can easily be a bit larger, especially for the frame.

Cindy, what part of the settings seems to not work as you want? You can post that in the forum or send me an email. If PSP came with that manual, I would not have as many active participants to my Bootcamp! ;) But you will see that it WILL get easier over time. On your layout, I think you might have selected the background when you copied the top rectangles, as it is also repeated at the bottom. Or maybe you merged once too many times? What are those images? Are they pictures of jewelry you or someone you know, made?

Karon, I didn't know Eric still managed Kim's kits. Where about?

Lyn, adorable layout for the sisters. I see that the photos are correctly sized and that makes them so enjoyable to look at. You are also quite consistent with your shadows.

Colleen, glad to see you back. Yes, that thing about the text on the wrong layer and hidden under something else, is something that I do on occasion, and I also get puzzled for a few seconds. That idea of layers is so ESSENTIAL in PSP. It is amazing to me if anyone ever worked with PSP without understanding that. It must be so frustrating.

Gwen, you are really getting the hang of it. Since the beads are places as if they could be threaded by the ribbon, that is when a larger shadow would give that consistency in size. Are those your photos or did you find those online too?

Lynn, if you are interested in "re-learning" all those effects and patterns and designs with PSP, there is the DIAMOND membership available. Let me know if that would interest you. I love that frame!

Shirley, welcome. Yes, you are a little late in the game, but you might still be able to catch up. Lovely dog in that picture. Did you create the frame yourself? If not, do you remember where you got it?

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate, I misplaced my brain.

Finally, sorry  I've been so slow, oodles of Dr. Appointments this month that cut into my time.   Here is my BEE themed layout. This is one of my grandsons with his baby sister (now 13 years old.) I chose these as my subject because I wanted to pay them recognition for loving their little sister more than I have ever seen before.  I had seven brothers and they certainly didn't think that way about me.  Their love and tenderness  toward her have never wavered over the years and I'm so proud of them.

LOL, Once I found this little bee everything fell together, I had my idea after wracking my brain for days.  But, I'm rather  pleased with this one and I want to send tthe sheet to her for her birthday next month.  I used some of my favorite themes for this, Pink, black+white stripes and ROSES.  I had the image of the little girl for many years in my collection so I tubed that to push the little sister idea.

I'm still struggling with the layers and I am determined to master them. It's not as easy in PSP 7 because you can't see your layers as in 2020. I'm trying to convince my husband that I really NEED this upgrade.  I'll post my final project after a bit and you will see why I am so convinced ( I swore it wasn't going to happen to me, but...)  I  have been having so much fun and spending so much time related to Cassell's sites that I'm strung up tighter that piano strings, I'm so enthusiastic and excited about what I am learning.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU CASSELL, for allowing us access after our time regretfully ends. I love seeing everyone's work and enjoy how much we all have improved.  To all our lurkers, "Don't give up, keep working at it and you will be so pleased at the results.  I'll be here for the next session and we'll all be happy to meet you."

January 23, 2020

Diana Craft

Hi Cassel,

Thanks to you and this class, I feel a lot more confident using PSP2020. In other words, when I first opened the new software I felt lost. Now that I took this Bootcamp Scrapping Class, I don't feel lost any more. YAY! From the last lesson, I was able to add the glitter.png to my patterns in the correct folder. It was a little hard to find, however, I found it. I assume we can add different fonts in the font’s folder also. Right?

What's next? I would love to take more classes with you. Do you have a class about correcting photos, especially correcting exposure, lighting and different effects, and etcetera? Please remind me where I can get that information. Thanks Much.

Now onto Scrapbook 7

Sally

To quickly answer Sally's question, we have TONS of classes on different topics in the Campus. The next step, however, might be the Basic Scrap Course, which you should hear about in a following email (one thing at the time). The very first module of that course will address some ways to improve photos.

Yes, you can add as many patterns in the Patterns folder, but for fonts, that is managed by Windows, not by PSP. If you want to "add" fonts to PSP, check out this post instead.

Hi Carole,

I am again running into trouble with the text tool.  I did create a screen shot per your instructions however, now what, how do I get it into this space?  So I tried to copy and paste the image onto a word doc to attach here, but have no idea why it did not show up in my picture file or in a document folder where I tried to save it.  Maybe my problems are Windows 10 related.

At the top of my project it  said Promoted Selection.  the page was not acting like it does on your tutorial, so I know something is not right.

I need some help!

Thanks

Hello All,

I, finally, managed to finish day 7!

I had no end of trouble with the wraparound text. Still haven't got it right.

Didn't enjoy this assignment at all. I hope all of you had an easier time.

But it's done. So here it is.

For Carole: thank you so much for all your help and for putting up with us.

I wished all Teachers were as good as you, so everyone can feel encouraged and really helped. I am waiting

for the Scrapbook course INfo to Join and I still have problems. Can I pay you to uncheck your desktop psp and then set it up

the way you have it. I CANT GET THERE. THATS when I freak out and start sweating. I getting a lot better with everyones

lessons being different at first I was freaking out, my ocd I know but if I didnt have excatally what you was using in the Plan

then to do my work with somthing elese sent me lost. I think I am starting to get it all but my text stuff and some other

things are to hard cause I cant find the things options, settings you have. thank you And how much to do that for me, before

you make it okay.

Hi Cassel, the frame I used in my day 3 project is from 2020 psp frames.  I don't always remember to choose the ones that are right in front of me but  I thought this one was a good match for the photo.

I have a big ukulele festival in 10 days, and a big dart championship coming in March so have been spending my time practising for those.  I don't like getting too far behind with the psp its too hard to catch up. These revision boot camps keep me posted. Thanks to you lovely lady.

Hi Cassel and everyone -

Here is my last project.  It took a while to get my internet to download the video so I could work on this.  It was interesting to make text fit an area and also to substitute an element for a letter.  I look forward to trying other 3D effects such as buttonize and find out what it and others do.  I still need to go back and take notes from the different days of the Boot Camp so I can remember the processes.  Cassel - I did get the inside frames to fill with solid colors on a fresh layout but have not gotten them to work going back to Project 4.  I changed the mode from color RBG or RBK (whatever) to None and it works on new projects but not yet on Project 4.  I may need to somehow delete the frames and create them again.  Thank you for all of your help.  I am not as afraid to 'play' now.

If from the beginning of this course I could of started with the settings you have. that make your desktop icons

but mines all messed up. Even thought about downloading it all over again just to retry to have a desktop like you, but when

i bought 2020 it said you get 3 downloads, in case you get another computer ect. But my not being able to follow touching my

desktop like yours WAS HORRIble still not good, easy :( its just my settings.

I want to See a video of how you have set up your desktop then I could follow it and do what you say without hunting and

sweating and taking 5 hours a lesson. NOT YOUR Fault its just like the rectangle took me couple hours to find the long

square setting all I could do with the square is make big ones not even little onces those things are frustrating really

horrible. I cant wait to get in the next course and redo all these I want to get it right.

I AM NOT YELLING, I AM JUST HAPPY

Cassel thank you my desktop now it set up like yours, I am doing the lessons over bet i do them easy now.

so EXCITED TO TRY

THANK YOU GOING TO TRY IT NOW.... THANK YOU AGAIN YOUR THE BEST TEACHER. Plus I love every ones Art pictures

Oh thats Chain maile my daughter makes stuff and gifts to friends. it another hobby of hers . Shes always said Mom

get a hobby now I have one thanks to You. Picture of my workspace loaded Big HELP>.. and my dad in the desktop its him in

1969 he did 3 tours in Vietnam.

I tried to follow this tute very closely ill need to redo my buttonlater  because I now see that  it turned out very jagged  I also think  I doubled shadow in a coupl;e of places too.I am  really glad I decided to repeat , I definitelylearned a lot this round . I am also reallyinspired by the beautiful work  of everyone here .

I created the background, rectangle, and squares using the color picker to select colors in the photograph and the frame. The colors are a bit bland but it was an interesting exercise.

I tried using a drop shadow on the icon in the bottom left corner but the result was blurred. After trying different settings, I left it alone. I am grateful that there is a <Default> option to get me back to the start.

Before, I mentioned being confused about extraneous blank layers. They were being created when I deleted the content, not the layer. When I changed my mind on an element, I would hit the delete button which left a blank layer.

Now that I am more comfortable with the process, I will be revisiting the previous projects to practice, and hopefully, improve on them.

Thank you for an excellent workout at the Bootcamp. One of the best parts of this course is the real-time application and feedback. I look forward to more of the webinars that you have done. They are always informative and worth the time.

<p style="text-align: center;">Final Assignment--

CONCENTRATION definately required</p>

Here is my final project, although I did not make a scrapbook page and I hope that is all right. As I was going thru old images for the "BEE Happy" layout I discovered this old, faded, cracked photo that I loved. It had gotten wet at one time and the backing came off causing it to crack and curl, but I resisted disposing off it because it is one of the few photos I had of my husband and me together since I was always the one taking the photos.

Since working with 2020 and Cassell I read a tutorial about the scratch removal tool. I had tried this very tool with no noticeable result. Seeing the video and finding out there was a special way it was used, sent me scurrying back to my pc to check it out. I had just cliked in the center of the image and expected the cracks to simply disapear, they didn't. Everything is technique, isn't it? I apologize for being so long-winded but I am so excited.

I am posting several pics, the original, cracks removed, image improved and my husband and I separated from the background and then inserted in a lovely country landscape.  My photo is saved and I have learned so much. The process was very time consuming since I had to learn a totally new process with many steps. I have made many tubes so this was the easiest part, The crack removel was amazing and although I couldn't restore all of the image I am very pleased. Thanks to Cassell for the instruction and Corel for the loan of this fabulous program.

I will be sorry to see this bootcamp end, but hope to see many of you again in March (?).  Good-bye my friends!

Diana Craft aka PandorasHatBox

Bootcamp Day 7 Continued:

After you comments about missing shadows, I went back and took a look at what I had done. I had made a very dumb mistake trusting the Coral Auto Preserve feature. I had done the shadows on everything and did one selection on a layer when the electricity did and up and down in the neighborhood.  Our computers did a nose dive.  After awhile we could see again and turned on our computers.  I opened PSP and then my file. It was gone! I then opened theAutopreserve fo;e and there it was, so I opened that one.  It looked identical to what I had been doing so I just continued on my merry way.

Then when I started my merged layer of Trixie with wall etc , this what I discovered.

It is not easy to clear away from two crooked pieces, but you will see they did have a drop shadow, just not where I thought I had placed it.

Please learn of using from the auto save to unhide all layers and check them carefully. I spent most of this evening using the selections and the delete tools. I tried to get the freehand selection to work but it must be different.

So here is my new final day 7 submission.