Newsletter chitchat - July 23rd, 2024

Cassel

Neighbourhoods often have playgrounds for kids. Some are old, some are new, some are very original, some are very traditional.

I love to see kids play in their playgrounds, and find it fascinating how diverse those playgrounds can be.

Is there a playground nearby? Do you happen to have photos?

Let's share.

The city water park (swimming pool when I was growing up) is just 3/4 of a mile from my house. There is a gazebo and a small playground next to it. Next to that is a baseball field. Next to that used to be 4 tennis courts that were used by the high school tennis team when I was in school... the high school at that time is right across the street. Another baseball field was next to the courts and the one that used to be used for high school baseball games is behind the school next to the football field (which is across from the water park). The baseball field next to the courts was on the edge of a big grass area that the football team uses for practice. That field is not used much and grass may have been planted there leaving just 2 fields that are still used at times.

Within the last 15 years one half of the tennis courts was made into a skateboard area and just in the last couple of years the other half was made into pickleball courts.

The school is now the middle school. When the new high school was built in the 90's, they eventually put 6 tennis courts, a baseball field and a soccer field there that are used by the high school teams.

On the other side of town is a newer park. It has 8 baseball fields, a basketball court, a volleyball court and a playground area.

The swimming pool was built in the 1930's as a part of the WPA (1935-1943) and was the same pool my parents used as kids. In 2007, the city received funds from a local foundation to upgrade the facility and a water park with a smaller pool was built. The original buildings still remain. And, the football field was built in the 1940's and has been upgraded over the years. The Ohio High School Athletic Association has had playoff games for football here for many years. It is a very nice stadium.

For a small town, we do have nice facilities for recreation.

• Like 2