Drop shadow not working...

Emerald Jay

Hi Everyone,

I ran into a problem.  I just completed a page and now it's time to add drop shadows to all the papers and elements and photos.  What I do is start at the top of the layer panel and just go down and add the shadows not on a separate layer.  At the top of the layer panel was my text and I had to add a shadow because I used a light grey text on a dark paper and the shadow did work on the text.  I added a shadow to two elements and it worked.  Now it's my photo's turn and I add the shadow and nothing.  I then clicked the add shadow to a separate layer just to see what would happen and nothing happends.  I proceeded to try other paper layers that were under the photo and no shadow will apply.  I tried another element and nothing.  I reset my drop shadow to default which is 10, 10, 50 opac and  5 blur and tried the papers again and it just will not apply.

Any suggestions?  Has this happened to anyone before?  

Thank you,

Em

This has not happened to me.  In regard to the text, if it's still a Vector you will have to turn it to a raster to add shadows.  I always add on a separate layer, that way you will see for sure if there is a shadow.  Same if your photo's are in a mask group.  Usually to retain the Vector or Mask group for later use, I will duplicate those layers and hide the original Vector or mask layers and then change the duplicates to a raster.  But I've never had the shadows not work at all.  I'm sorry, I'm at a loss with that one.  Unless they are hiding under papers or frames or something like that.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

I did duplicate the vector text and then convert to raster.  The drop shadow did work on the text.

I don't understand what happened, but this is what I did.  I started clicking on all the paper layers and there are four of them plus the background.  When I did that with the pick tool, it highlighted in the layer panel, but on my canvas it showed the pick tool always right in the center of the page and I tried to rotate it or move it and I got that symbol of a red circle with a slanted line.  The void mark maybe?  Anyways, I'm really stumped.  The different layers are actually highlighting in the layer panel, but I can't do anything to the layer itself.  I closed the image multiple times and opened and closed PSP a few times.

I'm going to reconstruct the whole page one piece at a time now.

Now I'm thinking maybe there is something up with the template I'm using.  I did duplicate the template before I began, so I still have the original.  

Hmmm...I don't know if I had a little selection.  Going to check that now too.

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 1

Thank you, Ladies!!  Carole, you were correct.  I had to copy and paste an apostrophe and it was a tiny selection I made. Whenever I would slide one of the layers to my workspace to get the image, it came back as a tiny little thing.  I couldn't figure out what the heck that was. It's all fixed now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emerald Jay said:

Thank you, Ladies!!  Carole, you were correct.  I had to copy and paste an apostrophe and it was a tiny selection I made. Whenever I would slide one of the layers to my workspace to get the image, it came back as a tiny little thing.  I couldn't figure out what the heck that was. It's all fixed now.

Glad to hear that it was such a simple issue (although it can cause a big headache!).

• Like 1