Newsletter chitchat - July 4

Cassel

Are you celebrating July 4th?

Did you celebrate Canada Day on the 1st?

Do you have plans for Bastille Day, on the 14th?

Or maybe another holiday in July?

What about general "vacation habits" in your area?

Let's chat!

Fireworks going off now - like crazy. Usually my dog is a basket case, but he’s old now and can’t hear. Apparently he can’t hear A THING because they sound like they’re right outside the patio doors!

Meanwhile, I’m looking for the new Vector workshop “say hi” thread, but the link from the newsletter does not work and I don’t see a thread with the topic heading. But I might not be looking in the right place. 

11 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Meanwhile, I’m looking for the new Vector workshop “say hi” thread, but the link from the newsletter does not work and I don’t see a thread with the topic heading. But I might not be looking in the right place.

Try again. It was there but I had forgotten to click "publish".

• Thanks 1

It was a long weekend around here. I could hear booms every night since Friday. Monday night there were actually some fireworks in the sky from some of those booms.

Then last night was the firework show put on by the annual festival. I live about a mile north of the fairgrounds where the festival is held. When we first moved into this house in 1964, we could see the fireworks from the living room window. There is a street that runs perpendicular to my street almost even with my driveway. One of the houses on the west side of the street has a tree in the front yard. It was small in 1964, it is much bigger now! So my direct view is sort of blocked but I can see the fireworks through the trees. So as the years have gone by when I go outside to see them, I have to move my position to the east to get a clear view (if I want to take photos). One year I used my neighbor's driveway since they weren't home. I can get a pretty good view by standing about half way between the 2 driveways at the edge of the road which is what I did last night.

Before those fireworks started, I could hear lots of others. There were some to the north of me (back of my house), to the west of me and to the southeast of me. It was quite noisy for awhile since the 3 not festival fireworks were going off at the same time. Those were also not constant. They would set off a few then it would be a few minutes before the next few went up. Thankfully, Peyton does not mind the noise. I've been lucky with all 3 of my Havanese dogs over the years not having a problem with them. My first Havanese, Pepper, would sit outside with me during the fireworks!

• Like 2

I can’t drive across town without having to detour for road construction, so I would say in the Northern US, where the roads get ruined in winter and have to be  repaired and repaved, all summer is bad for traveling by car!  So many exits and entrances to the bypass around the city are closed, and so many of the sections of highway are one-lane only that it's hard to get from here to there. My daughter tells me there is an app for that. Waze.  It will reroute you according to construction and traffic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically it is Bastille Day for me today, but living in Germany no real plans here around. I just got one french friend in town but like me she isn't used to celebrate this. Even the french Institute doesn't organize some event for french citizens. The thing I will do, go to a "Simply Red" concert this evening ?.