Vector Text and Compatibility Issue

Rene Marker

I was saving a template that I have been using all of 2023 that has one vector text layer. Simple text... 2023 in Calibri font size 22 and bold. I was using PSP 2021.

I have never had a problem with saving this template since my compatibility is set to X8-2021 Compatibility. But I kept getting the vector error message. I finally thought to look at the compatibility and it was set to PSP8... and I didn't change it!!!

So my question is what changed between PSP8 and PSP2021 in how text is handled in the program that would cause the vector issue. I don't think I ever used PSP8 either.

I am not sure if it makes a difference when saving/opening a file in different versions but there were some changes that have happened since PSP8 with the Text tool and for me, it affects scripting:

•  between 8 and 9, the command in scripts has changed from 'Text' to 'TextEx'
  • in version 8, every line of text has a set of commands that repeat themselves for the settings (font, size, color, etc.) while in version 9, it went to a single set of settings for all the lines of text
  • up to version 9, the only unit of size was 'Pixels', but in version X, they introduced 'Points'. This has been a big issue because that additional setting has never been added to the scriptable values. This is causing major headaches when scripting commands including text (I have a lot of Tylenol on hand)

Since version X, nothing has changed (as far as I know) in the Text tool. I don't know what might be the issue in this situation. Would you want to email it to me so I can have a look? The change in the compatibility setting MIGHT have happened after you ran a script that saved a file. Did you happen to run such a script?

Well, that explains the problem I had earlier with saving the files.

I was playing with some of the scripts earlier and like I said when I went to save the template, the compatibility had changed to PSP8. I know I didn't change it.

But I just thought I'd go through some of the scripts that I had tried out and check the compatibility after running the script.

First script I tried: Open A Copy.

Just used it on a photo. Checked the compatibility.... PSP8! My compatibility before running the script was X8-2021.

Changed the settings back to X8-2021 and double checked by trying to save a blank image. Correct settings.

Did a second test. Ran the Open A Copy script then checked compatibility... PSP8.

So is there something in that script that is changing the compatibility in the save as option?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

So is there something in that script that is changing the compatibility in the save as option?

I see where it shows the compatibility in the script. I'll have to see if it can be removed without crashing the script, or edit it in some way to prevent that change. 

I'll check it and get back to you as soon as I can.

• Like 1