Difference between Open Duplicate and Open A Copy script

Susan Ewart

I am setting up my PSP 2023 and wondered about the difference between Open Duplicate and Open a Copy.  I had used Open A Copy for 2022 and generally it worked good but sometimes the script failed (I cant remember the circumstances).  Is Open Duplicate PSP's own script?  what is the difference between them.  I usually bind the one I use.  thank you.

You got me searching as those are old scripts! ?

Open Duplicate is a Corel script, that will duplicate the image you want to use and close the original.

Open a Copy is a script of mine, which is very similar to the previous one. The main difference is that it will rename the file to the same name as the original file plus _copy and SAVE it. The purpose is that the auto-save would only work on saved images; if an image is never saved, the auto-save has nothing to "save".

3 minutes ago, Cassel said:

You got me searching as those are old scripts! ?

Open Duplicate is a Corel script, that will duplicate the image you want to use and close the original.

Open a Copy is a script of mine, which is very similar to the previous one. The main difference is that it will rename the file to the same name as the original file plus _copy and SAVE it. The purpose is that the auto-save would only work on saved images; if an image is never saved, the auto-save has nothing to "save".

Thank you, I will stick with Open a Copy.  Wasnt that  the one that was free from your store.  I use that so I dont accidently forget duplicate my images and end up changing them be accident.  I used to just take a copy of my images I might use to a working folder but then I got too many extra images floating around my computer and not knowing if I accidently took the original file by mistake so I try to use the Open a Copy with images most of the time.  thank you for the quick reply.

I did all my file preferences and same thing happened as last time.  it didnt save all the preset shapes from the last 3 versions even though I chose that option.  luckily I made a copy of those files(for just this reason) and just put the corel ones into My Resources separate file.  All the other ones worked beautifully.  I got all my preset shapes in the end so I'm happy.  Corels user files are in their regular spot and a back up copy on a different drive.  On the whole, this went smoother than any other time.  I have made a big check list to follow, with instructions, it worked good for me. 

Edited by Susan Ewart
added more rambling

11 minutes ago, Cassel said:

That is the exact point of that script. And yes, it is a free script.

That's good because I use it A LOT.  it gives me peace of mind.  Thank you for making it.  It's easy when you are distracted (okay, maybe just me being distracted) to right click and CUT when I meant to do COPY.  Especially if I've been doing other computer work where I am using CUT.  I've caught myself doing cut instead of copy several times.  So having your script protects my images.