Catagorizing Brushes - Clarification

Susan Ewart

I need some clarification on how to organize my brushes.  I use a separate folder (as instructed by you) called "MY PSP RESOURCES" on a separate drive than the default PSP folders.  File locations are pointed to this location.  I would like to make sub-folders within the Brushes folder(ie. watercolor, light rays, coffee cup stains etc).  Do I just make the folders file in windows and move both brush files into the sub-folders?  Do I have to tell PSP just where the brushes folder is (which is already knows) or do i have to point PSP to  each and every sub-folder within the Brushes folder?  then will I see the catagory name in the brushes drop down menu when I'm using a brush?

In File Locations there is had an option "Create Sub Folder".  Do I have to use that?  I do have "Use Subfolders" checked as well as "Enable".  

New: I tried a test with Create Sub Folder but it put the folder in the default Brushes folder, even though it said save to My PSP Resources.

Edited by Susan Ewart

@Susan EwartI actually have that very question as a future blog post, but I can do a demo during the Q&A if you want. And the answer would still be "YES, just create the folder in Windows and NO, you don't need to tell PSP since it is inside a folder it already knows of"

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Susan EwartI actually have that very question as a future blog post, but I can do a demo during the Q&A if you want. And the answer would still be "YES, just create the folder in Windows and NO, you don't need to tell PSP since it is inside a folder it already knows of"

Only if you have time in the Q&A.  I can wait (and look forward) to the blog post too.  Thank you for the answers.    

• Like 1

I did what Carole suggested. I had a bunch of brushes that I had gotten from various designers. I had always been using the png file then I learned how to import them from the abr file the designers included. They all ended up in the Brushes folder in my documents folder.  So I went and created a folder for each designer and moved the applicable files to their folders. Sure has made it easier when I just want to look for a brush.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I did what Carole suggested. I had a bunch of brushes that I had gotten from various designers. I had always been using the png file then I learned how to import them from the abr file the designers included. They all ended up in the Brushes folder in my documents folder.  So I went and created a folder for each designer and moved the applicable files to their folders. Sure has made it easier when I just want to look for a brush.

Good to know, this is my problem.  I have a very large assortment of brushes (mostly abr, some of which I've had to use ABRmate to convert them to PS7 files) that I have to scroll through.  I wish it was like my Font Viewer and the brushes in the folders stay turned off until you need them and you can turn one the ones you need and not have to wait till ALL the brushes load.  I'd like to see a check box iin the drop down of the folders you could turn them on and off as you please, there could be options for ALL on or only selected on and what it does when you open PSP, ie.  leave it at the last setting or turn all on or off.  A girl can dream.  

I guess I don't have as many brushes as you do. It hardly takes any time at all for my brushes to load.

Just like with fonts, I feel that less is better... less choices to choose from! I have less than 400 fonts installed. I do have a folder with lots more as a "just in case" I might need them but it has been a rare case that I have. Of course, that folder has a backup of my installed fonts so that I can make sure everything gets transferred to a new computer when needed! LOL