I NEED HELP WITH A COMPUTER PROBLEM

Corrie Kinkel

HELP! I have all my PSP supplies, like kits, templates aso on an external hard drive and that drive died on me, luckely I have a BackUp external hard drive too, so nothing is lost. Both drives are really old ones and therefore my husband bought me 2 new external SSD drives. My computer runs on Windows 11. One of the new drives is now my new BackUp drive called BackUp:D and the other is called PSP:E and has all my psp stuff. So far so good. Now comes the problem: when telling the BackUp:D drive what it has to backup, that drive doesn't find/recognize my PSP:E drive and so it doesn't make a backup of that drive. My husband has tried all kinds of manners that he could think of to solve the problem, searched the internet etc. But no solution, which is a bit strange because with my old external drives it worked. To circumvent this problem , at least temporarely we copied all my psp stuff to my C drive, but it makes my C a bit crowded and more difficult to use when I work on a project, but at least it will be backed up for now. I hope I explained this properly and hoope that there is someone that has a solution, so please......

Corrie, hoe of met welk programma maak jij je BackUp? Ik werk ook zoals jij met twee externe schijven. Mijn laptop draait wel nog op Windows 10.

Zou een backup  van C naar E wél lukken ? ik weet wel dat het niet de bedoeling is, alleen maar om te weten of het enkel een probleem is tussen de twee externe schijven, en uit te sluiten dat er misschien een probleem zou zijn met externe schijf E

Good Morning Corrie.  I was told many opperating systems ago to make the back-up drive the last letter of your drives. The back-up drive was often made drive M or drive W , this then left spaces for other connections to CD/DVD drives , Memory cards etc.

Could you change the letters of your drives ?  Or  make the back-up drive F or another letter further through the alphabet.

The problem is solved and in the end it is a really fundamental issue, so I post the solution here if others get the same problem in the future. Thanks to my husband who in the end came up with it after trying all the other more basic options.

The new external SSD drives are from Samsung and my Windows 11 PC Explorer could read them. The backup that I use is done in Windows 11 which you find in the Configuration screen. We it is set up by making the selections what should be updated by hand and not using the automatic command. And there comes the problem, in that selection window the new Samsung E drive isn't there. Samsung uses the format Samsung:exFAT to format the new drives and Windows Back-UP does not recognize that. So my husband formatted those new drives with de Windows format NTFS and yes that did the trick. Samsung has used a new format that is not yet compatible with Windows.