Modify Select Expand isn't rounding edges

Dee347

I used the Mitered corner frame script to create a frame with a piece of lace.

I selected the frame, then inverted the selection, then I used select modify expand to create a small outside edge around the white border, layer new layer, flood fill with pink.   See the pink layer in the picture attached.   The rounded edges are being cut them off instead of rounding them. Not sure how to fix this.

Is there a way I can create the pink background layer and have it round the edges so it matches the rounded edges on the lace frame?

Hi Dee, I see two things that you might need to do differently to get that extra border you want:

1- once you have selected the frame, don't invert the selection. What you want is similar to making a sticker, so keep the selection of the frame and expand directly.

2- before #1, you should make sure there is some space on the edge of the frame to accommodate that expanded selection. I am not sure if the image you posted is the exact edge of your image or not, but just make sure you have plenty of room.

Hope this helps.

I followed all the steps exactly as shown in the "making a sticker post".  But I am still having the very far edges on all 4 sides cut off.    There is 1" of space between the frame and the canvas edge so plenty of room there.  Any other ideas of what can be causing this to constrain the edge or cut off the edges?

Ok, I checked and it does follow the edges closely that are being cut off.

So, I tried this again with a different image.  Unfortunately I am getting the same results with the edges cut off.  Must be a setting somewhere I need to change....

I've attached snips of my setting for the magic wand selection and of the results.

OK, I think that is the "problem" so to speak. At that size, it means you have an image about 750x750 pixels which is not a lot considering the number of curves you have on that edge. And since pixels are square, I suspect that when you make the selection (before even expanding it), the selection is "straight" for a few pixels where you would expect a curve. Can you check that?

One possible solution would be to increase the resolution. Go to Image > Resize. Select By Print Size, and there, change the Resolution to 300 pixels/inch. Now, you will have twice as many pixels to work with as your work will become a 1500x1500 pixels image. At this point, you can try the same manipulation to select and expand. You might have a better result.

Try that and let us know.

Ok, I tried it again at 300dpi and the same thing happened.  It cuts off the rounded edge only on the mid point of the doily on all 4 sides.  All of the other rounded edges on the doily are expanding and rounding fine.  So somehow it is cropping or constraining the farthest points on all 4 sides even though there is at least a inch all around the doily to the edge of the canvas.  It is doing the same thing with a lace border strip.

You are right.  The farthest points on left, right, top and bottom are not rounded when I zoom in close after selecting.  so it isn't evenly expanding all areas of the object I selected.  Is there another way I can make a selection and modify expand without using the magic wand tool?

I have attached the doily I downloaded from Pixabay if you want to experiment with it.

Thanks,

Dee

For those who might have been following this thread, here is the explanation of what was happening:

- the initial image, although it had nice curves, it was created with feathering, which means that the pixels were fainter, however, using the Magic Wand, it selected all the pixels, no matter if they were faint or not, making a "flat" selection, and from there, the expansion was also flat. That is just the way the starting image was.

Here is how I managed to get something "better":

the starting image was about 2000 pixels wide. I resized it to 200%, which gave more pixels to work with. I know it will add a blur, but it can be sized back afterward.

I selected the lace (in black) and used the Smooth command to soften any "corner" created by the square pixels and the Magic Wand.

I expanded by 10 pixels (I guess one can choose how much they want to expand) and ran the Smooth command again. This yielded a better edge with more curves than that initial flat edge.

Now, on a new raster layer, I could add that color and by rearranging the layers, I would get that look.

Once done, the whole project can be sized back to the initial dimensions if needed.

Even though PSP can do a lot, sometimes, we are limited by the starting supplies we have.

After some additional experimentation, I found that another way to expand the edges with "less jagginess" is to use these steps instead of the Magic Wand:

Select all: Ctrl-A

Float: Ctrl-F

Defload: Ctrl-Shift-F

This seems to retain at least some of the "fainter pixels", unlike the Magic Wand and when you expand the selection, the edges might be better than with the Magic Wand only.

I'm not a collector of fonts.  I may have  50-70 that I have caught my eye over the years, and downloaded.  This font is on creativefabrica, it's free for another 16hrs, in the daily gift.  I thought it would be nice to use  in one of granddaughter's cards.  I have no idea how to use it.  I'd appreciate  your help. Sue

I slept on it  last night.  I worked out how to use this font.  I created a word, kept the setting the same repeated the word using  the other two matching fonts.  Centred the words, so they were on top of each other, converted to rasters.  Using the lock tool, I could then change the colours.  Once I was happy with it, I merged visible.

Although it is called a FONT (on the image), I am not sure the font itself has layers *IF* it is really a font. I think it is more like an effect instead of an actual font, or the font is the shape of the letters that are then manipulated into that 3D effect. Maybe a tutorial or even a script for my to-do list?

It's definitely a font, actually three fronts, to be used together, one of which I have never seen before.  It even has  special characters in Character Map.  I took a few screen shots  for you to see.   Once I had written the  three words, in regular, dotted and shadow form, I used  the object, align centre tool. A tutorial would be useful.