Love Story Challenge 2019

Cassel

I’m not a scrapbooker, but I love PSP.  As you can probably guess from my screenname, I also love photography. I particularly like taking photos of wildlife, birds, flowers/grasses/trees, insects, landscapes, sunrises and sunsets.

Here are my Day 1 and Day 2 images.  On the Day 1 image, I used one of my photos of a yellow butterfly on a shrimp plant.  I used some brushes to create the other butterflies and one daisy, using Hue and Saturation to change the butterfly colors.  The daisy with the black center is from the provided materials.   On the Day 2 image, I used one of my photos of a Loggerhead Shrike and decided to remove some elements of the mask.  I opted to use the plaid I made for a border instead of a background.  I applied drop shadows and buttonized the image inside the border.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's creations and have gotten some good ideas from them on how to improve my work.  Thanks everyone!

When I saw Carole's Day 3 page with Bob in jester costume, I was totally inspired!  Our friend Phil wore a jester costume similar to his which I had gotten for him to attend the Renaissance Faire with our family.  So many people like to play at being royalty, but it takes a very special man to wear a jester costume.  I must have spent half the day looking for a photo of that but unfortunately to no avail.

What I did find was my friend dressed as a fairy for a Halloween party, so I went with that instead.  I found two fairy quotes, the "pixie dust" one from Peter Pan, and the "joy to be loved" quote from The NeverEnding Story.  Both fit my friend very well, and the second quote ties in with the Love Story theme.

I've had a lot of fun playing around in the past with the Kaleidoscope tutorial through the Diamond membership.  This time I had to tone down the effect somewhat to put the focus on the photos, otherwise the page looked too busy.  I found the wooden fairy in Pixelscrapper's Enchanted elements kit.  Thanks for looking!

I am still a day behind. Just finished Day 2 Project Love Story Challenge. From my parents love to my own. I am going to have a problem with Day 3 Project as I could not down load the template. I am sorry to say I cannot speak or read French and could not figure out how to down load Day 3's template. I may just look at what others have done and try to create one from scratch.

Hi Scrapbook Campers.  These templates are such a delight to use, thanks Cassel.  The photo I have used here is another from Unsplash by Suresh Kumar and I felt it suited the theme very well.  I used an alpha I had created for the title just to add another dimension.  The background paper is the kaleidoscope effect but I did seamlessly tile it.  Thanks for takin a peek.

@Sue:  In my photography class, the first thing my teacher would ask as one of our pictures came up on the screen was, "What does this person want us to look at?"  So that's my question to you:  what do you want me to look at, the herd or mother and calf?  If it's the mother/calf, you've succeeded, because that's what my eye is drawn toward immediately, both because of where it's placed and because the colors are more saturated than anything else on the page.  According to my teacher, the right vertical line on  the rule of thirds grid is the strongest axis on which to place an object because people have a tendency to look, not at the center of a picture, but to the right of center--where the mother and calf are.

If you wanted me to look at the herd first, then maybe the page should be recomposed.  What if you lifted the herd up a bit so it lies in the middle of the top horizontal axis and then place mother/calf on the left vertical axis?  And, instead of cropping the mother/calf with the grass taking up so much of the lower portion of the picture, why not crop the image and bring mother/calf down a bit and then place the frame under the herd's frame instead of over it?  I'm still going to look at them, but my eye will go to the herd first and then drop down.

Now, after all of that, I think it's important for me to say that I believe what we create is uniquely our own and, if we're at peace with what we've made, then it doesn't matter what someone else thinks.

That's enough--

Barbara

@Sue  My original post seems to have disappeared into the ether.  So I'll do it again.

In my photography class, the first question the teacher would ask when one of our pictures appeared on the screen was, "What does the person want us to look at?"  So that's my question to you:  do you want me to look at the herd or the mother and calf?  If it's the mother and calf, you've succeeded--first, because of where the picture's placed and, second, because the colors are more saturated than those on the rest of the page. According to my teacher, the right vertical axis of the rule of thirds grid--where mother and calf are--is supposedly the axis people have a tendency to look at first. And that's right where my eye went.

If you wanted the herd to be the main focus, maybe you could recompose the page.  What if you lifted the herd up just a bit so it lies in the middle of the top horizontal axis? Then, how about shifting mother and calf to the left vertical axis?  And, instead of cropping them so that grass fills much of the frame, why not drop them down a little and place their frame under, instead of over, the herd?

Enough of my ideas,  and it's important to note that  they're mine, not yours.  I believe that what we create is uniquely ours and, if we're at peace or feel good with what we've made, that's all that matters.

Barbara

@Dee 347  As I was looking at the newest submissions, my eye stopped at your day 2 page--I was attracted to the sheer simplicity of it.  The photo was the hero of the page and there was nothing to distract me from that. I also really liked your day 3 page. Both the elements you chose and the way you arranged them added to the overall "beachy" ambiance of picture without distracting from the picture itself.

Barbara