Change to Target

Daniel Hess

I originally used the contact link on the campus to try to email Carolyn but (excuse the pun) it has now occured to me that it was not the proper "forum".  So anyways, here is my question/problem... a PS is that I also opened up PSP 2021 Ultimate and same thing is happening there.

Have any others or yourself started having issues with the Change to Target tool?  Mine has quit working for some reason.  I’m using

Paint Shop Pro 2022 Ultimate.  I was working on a project to colorize a family portrait of my Mother and the rest of her family awhile back

and it was working although occasionally intermittent.  Currently if I try to paint with it, nothing happens with changing color but it does

record an “instance” which can be undone so inside the program it is recording a “usage”.  I’ve tried changing parameters (step, opacity,

density, mode, foreground color etc.) but it just isn’t changing the color.

Anyways, if any others or yourself have experienced this and found a solution, I will be “all ears”.

Interesting sidenote… a couple of decades ago, my aunts and mom were contacted by a “lost” brother who found them using one of those genealogy sites.

He knew he was adopted and was looking for his original parents/family.  It is pretty much speculated, based on their conversations and memories

that a “crooked” doctor reported him stillborn and he was placed from a shady adoption agency.  They did DNA tests and he was a full brother.

My grandparents had passed so the “truth” will never be fully known.  Since then, my aunts and mother have also passed on (there was an older

brother as well who passed away before Uncle Ron came on the scene), so he is the only relative on my mother’s side of the family in her generation

who is still with us.  I “ADDED” him to the aforementioned family photograph (photo-shopped) which I am still working on colorizing and hope to finish

it sometime this year.  He recently celebrated his 83rd birthday. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Take Care,

• Dan Hess.

Hey Daniel. Did you try to use one of the default presets for the Change to Target tool? At least, it should have some "workable" settings to see the effect.

Another thing to check is the Brush variance palette (F11). Reset those with the icon on the bottom right.

Does that give you anything different?

OK.  It seems to be working, mostly...I probably DID have something different on Brush Variance...used it for "snow globes" quite awhile ago and probably didn't reset defaults afterward.  The CURRENT "thing" I was trying to do was change a "black" horse to "white".  I'm guessing there are limitations or parameters for the tool and the colors approaching #000000 and #FFFFFF are probably in that boundary.  Might explain the previous times it appeared that the tool wasn't working.  On the family photo project I was trying to colorize a dark suit in an old black and white photo.  

blackhorse2.jpg