Does scatter need a shadow?

MoniqueN.

I'm working on day 6 of the double page workshop and added some scatter on my project.

Does scatter need a shadow? I'm asking, because when I add shadow the whole scatter gets very dark. (Tried different settings)

The scatter itself I reduced the opacity to 36, so I thought maybe the shadow has to be 36 too. But that doesn't look ok either. Maybe I should use an even more lower opacity??

• Like 1

The question is not whether the scatters need a shadow but what shadow to add. Anything that might be made of paper or such would require a shadow, but when you are talking about translucent elements, that is trickier. Maybe you can get some details in the Shadow Challenges Master Class.

However, you are probably on the right direction with reducing the opacity. Remember that the more translucent something is, the less shadow it casts since the light goes through more.

• Like 4

Scatters can be many things including paper or metal. They can be translucent or not.

If I use a scatter there are times I don't even use a shadow. But for the most part I use a very small offset (maybe 1, 2 at the most). The opacity is usually 50 or lower with a blur of no more than 10. But there are times the the scatter item is thicker so the settings would need to be adjusted just like adjusting for different types of flowers or frames.

• Like 3