Printing oversized

fiona cook

I am trying to print an enlarged version of a photo in A4 sections (this is the max of my ink jet printer) so I can then tile the A4s together with a flush joint to make a large print approximately A2 (4 x A4) size.

Any suggestions for the best method? I want to keep the resolution fairly high in order to keep detail in the photo.

If I get there first will let you know. Thank you. Fiona

I don't think there is a specific feature or function in PSP to do that, so you likely will have to do it manually by printing each of the four "quadrants" separately.

If your printer can print up to the edges, it would be a little easier because you can then make a precise selection for each quadrant and print them. 

If your printer does not print to the edge, you might have to enlarge your image slightly less than 4 times, and then, when you make the selection to print, you will have to adjust the placement to take the gap into consideration and then, you would have to trim the edge manually before aligning the pieces.

Hi, I had made initial attempts along the lines you mention but found my PSP was having trouble processing I think due to the size of the image file. I reduced the image size in pixels.

Then there was the question of knowing how much to enlarge the image so on a separate layer, placed above the image layer, I centrally aligned 1 vertical and 1 horizontal line so then the quadrants in the image were apparent.

On image layer made rectangular selections of each quadrant and promoted each to its own layer. These layers I could then enlarge to the maximum size for my A4 page and then saved each as a new image from which I printed.

Question: Is it possible to save as a new image, any layer in a multi-layered PSP image, without first dragging the layer onto its own canvas?

My printer does not print to the edge so now I will need to overlap the quadrants and cut flush. It doesn't have to be too neat for my purpose as I will use the enlarged composite as a guide for an oil painting I intend to create. 

Thanks for your help Carole.

peony tiled.JPG

2 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Question: Is it possible to save as a new image, any layer in a multi-layered PSP image, without first dragging the layer onto its own canvas?

If you want to save as a new image, it automatically means it will be its own canvas. Why not just save in .pspimage format to keep the layers?

4 minutes ago, fiona cook said:

In this example, would I be able to print just one layer?

If you hide the other three, then yes. Then, go back to PSP, hide/unhide a different one, and so on. But if you copy/paste as new image for each of them, you don't have to save them to use the Print Layout function and therefore you can stay in that window without going back and forth.