PSP X9

Dianne

I got the email today that PSP X9 is coming out on August 16th.   I'm going to have to pass on the update (even with the presale discount) because my wimpy computer is barely able to let me use PSP X8 much less adding anything with more tools.  Bit of a bummer but I know there will be sales to come and I am hoping I can afford to buy a new computer one of these days that doesn't take minutes to load each program.  Yes, I've had the computer worked on several times.  I'm told there's nothing wrong with it but I should consider getting a new hard drive.  Then I would get to reload all my programs, and we know how much fun that will be.

Enough of my whining. I'm looking forward to Cassel (and anyone else  who gets the updated version) to tell me about the new upgrade and make me thoroughly jealous of them.

To be honest, I haven't exhausted all the tools PSP has yet.  I've been playing with the "ribbon" from the latest lab class...how clever you are to figure out that.  It's hard for me to get a nice result thanks to the grumpy nature of my computer, but it is still fun to play with.  I'll be patient and not bug you about the new PSP X9 until I see the blog come out.  Always nice to have a reliable review of anything new.  Thanks!

• 6 months later...
I finally broke down and bought PSP X9 at a reduced price, and found something that it has that I love when I use Photoshop (which I am thinking of giving up since I use it less and less).  That has to do with the upgraded gradient tool.  I also like the way it tidies up my photos...I don't know why but I couldn't figure out what to do with X8 but it seemed super easy in X9 (I wouldn't be surprised if it works exactly the same....I just had a blind spot when it came to X8).  Those two things on their lonely makeit worth something to me.  I haven't done much yet so I don't know if it will   be a keeper, but I feel better about letting go of some my earlier versions now.

Dianne, one thing to make sure. If you get prompted to update with patch #3 you will run into issues with some (many) scripts. You will have to install the Python module package (it might be missing from the version you downloaded). If so, it is easy. Download it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54692421/PaintShop/X9/PSPX9_PythonPackage.exe

then, execute it. It will fix it all.

As for the gradient fill tool, yes, it is a new feature of X9 so don't look for it in X8.

Yes, I knew the gradient fill tool was new with X9.  My blindspot had to do with the photo repair that I am sure is in X8 but never seemed to work quite right for me, but seems to be fine in X9.  That's probably a me thing.  How can I tell if my version of PSP has patch #3 or not?  I'm not seeing a prompt.

Test with a script of mine that uses the randomness (most do). If you get an error stating "no module named Random" or something like that, you will need to add the Python module package.

Can you tell me the exact file size of the file you downloaded?