Basic Scrap Project 1

Susie Grant

Hey Cassel,

I learned so much from this video thank you so much. I need a lot of practice but did enjoy learning the short cuts and text tips. I will mostly do images for a genealogy website so I made my images smaller than 3600 x 3600.

When you work on various projects, even if you know you will end up with something smaller, you might still want to start and work on a full size, simply because most supplies would fit that size without resizing them individually.

May I suggest you be careful with the shadows in all directions. Maybe you wanted to use a "reversed shadow". If that is the case, you might want to read this article: https://scrapbookcampus.com/2020/07/using-reversed-shadows/

Here is my project on Basic #1. The first project  I made the arrow myself and was pretty proud of it.  I did add a bevel to the arrow because I wanted it to be more like a "Tile" piece instead of paper.   I would have liked an arrow that was fatter but when I tried to resize the arrow it became longer instead.  I am also not used to working with buttons and bright colors but my page didnt turn out to bad.  Carole I realize my kerning is off but I liked it that way on this project.   For some reason no matter what setting I have my text at it seems to go back to a wider kerning again.  Usually takes some one else to point it out for me to realize what happened.  Getting started project I used a doodle instead of paint.   Its missing something to make it pop..would a red rose have been better?

That is so precious. I am still trying to get use to this new version psp. I still liked version 9 better than any of the others. I  still seem to be having problems but will just take time to learn all the differences.  i just started the Basic Scrap class and already learned to set up my work space in this version. I has a real mess up until now and it seems when I get started on the vector text my program starts to slow way down and it eventually just hangs up and I lose the entire project. That has happened three times already. I am using win 10, 64 bit but computer is only one year old so it should have the resources to run this program. Also I purchased online instead of the disk and I did not get any extras at all. There is nothing in any of the folders plugins, scripts nothing. I get aggravated without all the filters I had  on my old computer. Any way have fun and maybe we will learn together.

Hi, after just finishing the July Bootcamp I thought I'd keep going with the Basic Scrap Course. Here is my project for #1 - I took the pictures of birds with my iPhone outside my kitchen window here at my condo. I did try the Selected Focus tool and like the way it worked to blur away the busy background here in my parking lot. I spent a lot of time gathering up papers and embellishments to suit the birds, so no buttons, only bugs! I like hearing any comments, good or bad. Oh, I forgot to mention, my supplies came from digidebdesigns, LinJane, 1000 Marisol and Janet Scott.

I found basic scrap #2 really challenging.  I have never made a cluster before and found it hard to pick which element looked good with each other.  I also couldn’t find a banner no matter where I looked so I made a rope and hung some flowers on it.  I am not sure I got the shadow correct on it. I am learning about overlays and masks so I made my own background with an overlay and lightened it which made a big difference on being able to see the photo clearly.  I also had a problem with the shadow on the staple.  It already had a shadow and I wasn’t for sure if I should have put another one there or not?  I used a kit called “Bellalecia” by Pam Lefors Designs and a kit called “Endless Love” by Manuala Zimmermann.

Sandra, you said you did the arrows yourself. Did you follow one of the tutorials from the Lab? There is one just for those. now that you understand about the Kerning, you can play around with them for various special effects. Clusters are an art in themselves. Some people make them so easily, while others struggle to make them look more than a mess. With practice, you will find you own style of combining those elements.

Cathy that is such a cutie! Good job.

Susie, aside from the speed, is there something particular that you miss or prefer from the older version? There are some settings that CAN be reverted!

Ann, your shadows are good. You will see, in future lessons, you will learn some tricks to make that dragonfly fly, just by using shadows!

Thank you Cassel.  Also thank you Susie for your comments - I'm very receptive to any input to help me improve and am happy for us to learn together.  I've now followed Cassel's Basic Scrapbook Module 1 and completed 2 pages which go together.  I lightened all photographs which were taken late in the day in October here, which is mid spring, so it was a bit gloomy.  I'm not too sure whether I'm getting the correct amount of adjustment.  On Page 1 I used papers from Mystery Scraps, the acorn from ET Designs (Cozy Evenings) and the arrow from Connie Prince's Memories.  The alpha was Cassel's Wooden Alphabet which I thought worked in well with the walk through the trees to the beach.  On Page 2 I used papers from Mystery Scraps again and elements from Xuxper's Oceans Dreams.

I just miss all the filters, tubes and resources from version 9. I started with version 5 and updated with all of them through X2. Version 9 has always been my favorite and I still have all the CD's here somewhere so could  install psp9 again in a pinch. I will just keep using the new one though until familiar with all the settings. I tried to use my old tubes and outside filters but they did not work. Once I got an error message saying it was trying to run as version 8 and froze the entire program.  Live and learn LOl.

Susie: I love the ladybug theme. Where did you find it? I had a problem like you when I upgraded to PSP19 but I asked in the Forum and they pointed me to where all the old filters, frames and tubes were located in the new version. They are there.. just ask. Good luck!