Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

Day 11 Project 5.  Papers are combination from PSBT-Songbird, Jessica Dunn, and tutorial practice projects with some blending involved. Frames and flowers and other elements from internet.  Fonts are Gill Sans Ultra Bold Condensed @350 px and a script font.

large.Project5.jpg.d795a76729e4f89a854ab9463bdf613c.jpg

• Love 10

I got this far and then couldn't find a frame  saved in any folders and after trying to find and save and use a brand new frames (and still no luck finding them in a folder) I gave up.  Not only did I not conquer finding/using a new frame, I lost all the layers I had up to this point so I couldn't do the shadows.  I know it's time to give up when my bums gets sore and my legs start to fall asleep.   I have enjoyed getting reacquainted with the program and relearning how to use layers.  I don't do scrapbook pages, but I do do a lot of editing the many photos I take.  It was really nice to see many of the familiar and beautiful faces that grace the pages of the forum.  That just feels good!!!  Thank you Carole for doing such a marvelous job teaching us how to use PSP.  You are a delight to have for a teacher.  🙂 

concentration Emm600y.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Project #5

For today I choose I photo of a pinyon pine tree that I saw on a hill side on one of the road trips I took with my family. Because of the hill I was able to look into the tree on more or less eye level and noticed this "flower" that grows into the pine cone. These trees doesn't grow in Europe, of course we have conifers too, just different ones. The colors of my layout are all taken from the photo and I used a kit by DBMagnolia in the blogtrain from juli 2021. The stitching came from the blogtrain october 2022. The fonts are Lucinda Handwriting and Gill Sans Ultra Bold.

I have really enjoyed doing this Bootcamp again and have loved to see all the different layouts that were posted.

Bootcamp#5-600.jpg

• Love 6

18 hours ago, Cassel said:

Glad to see more projects posted!

@Euka It is interesting how you added the pinked edge to the sign! Very creative!

@MicheleYou got a great result with the glitter and the blend mode. That is a great way to get a gradient effect!

@Ann Seeber You are making us discover an interesting illustrator. I never heard of her before.

@Leslie Gifford Cook I am glad this bootcamp can refresh some tips you already knew. A refresher is always useful!

@Corrie Kinkel I wonder if the resizing caused the issue. Were you checking on the full-size project?

@Jacques Lacerte I would not know how to even get started with Painter, but PSP has a lot of power to it, and with many tools, there is so much you can do. 

@Donna SilliaIs the font that you used for the title called "Butterflies"?? If so, I'll have to go look at it in larger size as it does not show much butterflies in the resized version.

The last project will be linked tomorrow. For those who started late, you will have time to catch up! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

@ Carole Yes I checked on the full-size project, because I wanted to see if the shadow was directly under the photo, which it was and then I checked the jpg and it was still visible, so maybe it was the resizing after all

8 hours ago, Michele said:

Day 9 - Project 4

I absolutely adore this photographer's work. If you're on Facebook, you should check out his page. He goes under 501 North Photography and has some amazing pictures of the Aurora Borealis. I decided to share some of his barn shots.

I created an uncharacteristically (for me) muted layout so the pics could be the real stars. I used a bunch of supplies from the ALFLT Blog Train Jan 2021. The title font is Xpressive and the text font is Sugarstyle Millenial.

large.Day90105600.jpg.2b5c8f760e02e422e13ba4043ce4caf4.jpg

I love those photos and the way you used them in this layout!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Clarine, go to the top toolbar, click Image, choose Picture Frame. There's an entire, free PSP library for your use.

Hi,  I did find a few there but none really suitable for what i was trying to create.  I also took Carole idea of finding frames in the Creative Content on the home page.  I downloaded the package, but do not know where they ended up as no more new frames showed up the Picture Frame file under image.  I thank you for the suggestion and one day I will work on finding and adding a few more frames to that folder.  🙂 

@Carolyn Rye For your fourth project, beware when you use a thick rope as it would not be normal to add thin elements on top of them. If anything, place the thick rope on top instead, like you did on the photo.

@Michele Maybe you can send this photographer a link to your layout (if you posted it in the gallery). He might get a kick in seeing how his photos are showcased!

@Daniel Hess It is quite interesting how you created some cutouts and "add-ons" on the squares. It looks to me like you added bevels to all the "paper" elements. Is that the case? That makes them much thicker than papers. What material are you simulating?

@Ann Seeber I don't know if it is the resizing that causes a change, but the squares don't seem to be "neat" or even. Some seem to be feathered, some have no visible shadows. Do you see that?

@Jacques LacerteCute and to the point. Is there a story about the photo you chose?

@Clarine It is good that you know that the shadows are missing. For frames, if you ever want to find png frames, I suggest you check here. It is a great site for supplies of all kinds. If you want, drop me an email and we can troubleshoot where those extra frames went.

@Corrie Kinkel It is so much fun to learn new things. I never heard of those. They look like colorful pinecones!

You still have time to catch up with the weekend coming. Remember that you can win some prizes if you manage to post 4 projects out of the 5! 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Carolyn Rye For your fourth project, beware when you use a thick rope as it would not be normal to add thin elements on top of them. If anything, place the thick rope on top instead, like you did on the photo.

@Michele Maybe you can send this photographer a link to your layout (if you posted it in the gallery). He might get a kick in seeing how his photos are showcased!

@Daniel Hess It is quite interesting how you created some cutouts and "add-ons" on the squares. It looks to me like you added bevels to all the "paper" elements. Is that the case? That makes them much thicker than papers. What material are you simulating?

@Ann Seeber I don't know if it is the resizing that causes a change, but the squares don't seem to be "neat" or even. Some seem to be feathered, some have no visible shadows. Do you see that?

@Jacques LacerteCute and to the point. Is there a story about the photo you chose?

@Clarine It is good that you know that the shadows are missing. For frames, if you ever want to find png frames, I suggest you check here. It is a great site for supplies of all kinds. If you want, drop me an email and we can troubleshoot where those extra frames went.

@Corrie Kinkel It is so much fun to learn new things. I never heard of those. They look like colorful pinecones!

You still have time to catch up with the weekend coming. Remember that you can win some prizes if you manage to post 4 projects out of the 5! 

@Cassel This is my grandson (Ludovyk), the younger brother (Noah) who appears in the photos of my other projects. This is one of the photos I converted into a painting using the "Corel Painter" software in the "Van Gogh" style (nearly a week of work)

7 hours ago, Clarine said:

Hi,  I did find a few there but none really suitable for what i was trying to create.  I also took Carole idea of finding frames in the Creative Content on the home page.  I downloaded the package, but do not know where they ended up as no more new frames showed up the Picture Frame file under image.  I thank you for the suggestion and one day I will work on finding and adding a few more frames to that folder.  🙂 

I open any new frames in my PSP workspace and then import them to PSP frames. It's a choice under the Files menu. The program knows where to put them.

• Like 1

Well this has taken me all day ....and still not how I wanted it ... I was playing with the background trying to get something I liked and ended up using the wrong squares - not sure why I didn't see it when I was working on sorting them out!!   The difference is the colour of the font to make it show up better and the dark brown made slightly lighter. I still have the others so "one of these days" I will switch them out. My shadows were on a separate layer and looked good until I resized to 600 and lost half of them ... so I redid them on the same layer and think they are ok now.

image.jpeg.5224a08757a9c0bcc6d43646278efb66.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

It looks to me like you added bevels to all the "paper" elements.

I got in habit of doing that for some reason.  I guess I should be stingier on the use of bevels.  I thought for the "post-it"s, it would allow a better visual of "cutting out" shapes from the bottom row and gluing them onto the top row i.e. leaving a "hole" in bottom row and raised portion on top. Looking back, I overdid it by adding the bevel to the final layer of Post-its top and bottom AFTER doing the "detail" work inside each using selections.  Should have done only shadowing at the end?

Edited by Daniel Hess

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

Maybe you can send this photographer a link to your layout (if you posted it in the gallery). He might get a kick in seeing how his photos are showcased!

I already sent him a copy of the layout in the messages on his 501 North Photography FB page. I hope he likes it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Euka said:

Well this has taken me all day ....and still not how I wanted it ... I was playing with the background trying to get something I liked and ended up using the wrong squares - not sure why I didn't see it when I was working on sorting them out!!   The difference is the colour of the font to make it show up better and the dark brown made slightly lighter. I still have the others so "one of these days" I will switch them out. My shadows were on a separate layer and looked good until I resized to 600 and lost half of them ... so I redid them on the same layer and think they are ok now.

image.jpeg.5224a08757a9c0bcc6d43646278efb66.jpeg

I've found that I need to Merge All (Flatten) before I resize mine. Otherwise weird things can happen. I've had my text disappear.

3 minutes ago, Michele said:

I've had my text disappear.

Yes, a common occurrence for me when working inside a bounding box. It may have something to do with conversions of PS files to PSPIMAGE. I find if I duplicate and rasterize the text it behaves better. 

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

I don't know if it is the resizing that causes a change, but the squares don't seem to be "neat" or even. Some seem to be feathered, some have no visible shadows. Do you see that?

I fixed the shadowing on the squares and replaced the font on the journaling with Forte which seems more readable than Curlz. 

BOOTCAMP-day 11-lucy lu_600.jpg

Day 11.  Bundy and his Champas have now passed but we constantly think of them.  They were a very big part of our lives.  Millie our now 8-year-old little girl, was lucky enough to spend a few years with Bundy.  Thank you Cassle, for all your advice, because I have learnt so much from all your tips and tricks and pointers.  This is how I have got to this point.  I still have a lot to learn but I am getting there.

Day 11 Christmas Joy2 600.jpg

• Love 3