Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

I said a couple of days ago, I was going to improve my nautical scatters picture tube and share it with everyone.  Here is the results of that.

My McAfee hiccuped when I double clicked the link below although it is OK.  I suggest you copy the link and paste it into your browser address line to get the download. Place the PspTube file into the "documents/Corel PaintShop Pro/2022 (or your version)/Picture Tubes/" folder.  The other file is just an image where I set the size at 30 and painted around the canvas (over a white background layer) as a sample of using the Tube.  Noticed can't change the default "size" after you have exported the tube...I think the default is 100.  The Images/paintbrush stamps were originally sized at 100.

http://www.toroscope.com/shares/dhess-nauticalscatters.zip

PS...This is assuming you are interested in a nautically themed picture tube to create some scatters.  It's not exactly generic but good for anything that is boat or ship or ocean themed...or perhaps some other categories.

Edited by Daniel Hess
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 11:43 PM, Donna Sillia said:

Why do I see all my mistakes after I post my picture?😄

Donna, it has happened many times to me.  I post something here, and it doesn't take long to see that something isn't right.

And if it's a Workshop and I don't catch the issue, Carole has eagle eyes, and she immediately spots it! 😄  I like it, so it helps me to improve my work.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 9/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, Carolyn Rye said:

I realize I have so much to learn.

We are all learning here, no matter how long we've been here.  We learn not only from Carole but also from each other.  It's fun, and the community is very supportive.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

On 9/19/2024 at 3:01 AM, Euka said:

The background is a photo taken from the jetty to the island with a light blend mode (I do like the way the blend modes work in 2023!)  I added in the 2 boats, seagulls and sprinkles. 

I love the way you have the bird walking the photo edge.  An "out of bounds" effect without actually having to trick folks' minds LOL.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

I said a couple of days ago, I was going to improve my nautical scatters picture tube and share it with everyone.  Here is the results of that.

My McAfee hiccuped when I double clicked the link below although it is OK.  I suggest you copy the link and paste it into your browser address line to get the download. Place the PspTube file into the "documents/Corel PaintShop Pro/2022 (or your version)/Picture Tubes/" folder.  The other file is just an image where I set the size at 30 and painted around the canvas (over a white background layer) as a sample of using the Tube.  Noticed can't change the default "size" after you have exported the tube...I think the default is 100.  The Images/paintbrush stamps were originally sized at 100.

http://www.toroscope.com/shares/dhess-nauticalscatters.zip

PS...This is assuming you are interested in a nautically themed picture tube to create some scatters.  It's not exactly generic but good for anything that is boat or ship or ocean themed...or perhaps some other categories.

Daniel thank you, they look very nice and they can be used in other projects too. My McAfee was acting up too saying that the download was unsafe, but trusting you I choose to override it and downloaded them.😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Project 2

I didn't use a kit for my layout but made a background with different papers from my stash and a blendmode. The other papers, the flower stamp, the flower and the little label are all from different designers and come from my stash. The font for the title is Comic sans and the other font is Lucida calligraphy.

The plant's Latin name is Plumbago, in Dutch Mannentrouw, but I couldn't find an English common name, so if anyone knows?

Bootcamp-Project-2-600.jpg

• Love 9

Project 2

We travelled to Paris and London this summer and this was one of the sites we visited (Royal Mews).  The Royal Carriages were quite spectacular.  Love to use these shortcuts, but might not remember them for long.  It's lucky they are listed with the menu options.

Made a few changes based on feedback from Cassel.  Shifted the elements and changed to gold text.  Thanks for the suggestions.

PS Cassel - Regarding the Lace Spools from yesterday - No I have not made Lace, just make the spools so far.  I used to Knit and Crochet, but now my time is mostly taken up by woodturning.  Thanks

Day 3 - Shortcuts-500.jpg

Day 3 - Shortcuts 2-500.jpg

Edited by Leslie Gifford Cook
Cassel feedback
  • Like 2
  • Love 9

Glad to see some more projects. Hopefully, you will have even more time this weekend.

@Daniel Hess I went ahead and got you skipping the earlier delays. I think you should be receiving the next email at the same time as everyone else. For the tubes, I am not sure why the link is not clickable, but it works if one copies and pastes it into the URL bar.

@Corrie Kinkel I don't know the name of that flower, but I love how you used very different types of papers combined together. Simple layout, but effective in showcasing that photo.

@Leslie Gifford Cook Great photo to showcase. Since your background paper is dark, I think that the title and date (?) would be easier to read if they were in a lighter color. I think that if you offset the photo slightly so that all the edges don't align, it would give a more dynamic look. Just a thought.

Don't hesitate to post your projects. Remember that you can win some nice prizes if you post four out of the five projects in the Bootcamp.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Glad to see some more projects. Hopefully, you will have even more time this weekend.

For some reason, I am having difficulty posting, every time I go to the bottom of the page to reply to topic, I get the entire page come up, so I am replying to Carole's comment this time.
For Day 5 Project 2 I have chosen to use a photograph I took years ago at a dam in Central Otago. I often take photos to create textures and I loved the cobwebs on this old lock. I decided to use a copy of the same photo, with a Sheilsoft script,  a soft ultra tone, then altered this copy's hue, saturation, and lightness.
I used Jessica Dunn's Spring Skies mini kit, altering the colours to suit.
The green polka dot paper was quite bright and I felt it took over this image so I adjusted the green to a more muted grey/green. I also adjusted the white paper's hue, saturation, and lightness, not changing the white, and changing the flowers instead. The stitching is from Marisa Lerin from Digital Scrapbook, the key from Sheila Reid, also from Digital Scrapbook although I used the artistic effect chrome to brighten the key.
I have been playing with the Beginners' Scrapbooking projects and had created something for this particular layout, and decided to do something different for the bootcamp.

locked-jeni-600.jpg.861031ab5ee4e2b395432c1cd7730761.jpg

Edited by Jeni Simpson
forgot to mention the copy of the same photo
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

Not much to say about this! - the papers were in my stash and recoloured to hopefully match colours in the photo, the font Arial, the foliage also from my stash.   

image.jpeg.2517a55cdf59946983a9083cab3aec60.jpeg

Edited by Euka
Ugh - I saw I posted the image without the drop shadows - like others have said recently, see the mistakes once posted!
  • Love 10

18 minutes ago, Euka said:

@Daniel Hess  I am not sure how to 'quote' but thank you for the nautical tubes, they work perfectly!!   Also thank you for your kind  comment on the seagull - out of bounds was not what I was thinking - but I will take it 🙂

A couple of ways to "quote".  Highlight the sentence or piece of text to which you want to reply and watch for a pop up that says "quote selection" under the highlighted area and if you click that it will open a reply with the quote.  Or under the "post" there is a + sign and the word quote.  When you click that a new reply opens with the entire previous post, photo and all in which you can reply.

• Like 6

Here is my Project 4 - Adventure Park - I downloaded the kit Carole offered: By the Stream so I chose a photo taken by my grandson Tyler-John on his trip to Bali, Indonesia in July. The title font is Harrington; the frame is from Jessica Dunn's Nana's Kitchen kit, the background paper and the stamp format from By the Stream. 

EDIT: @Corrie Kinkel I added a sand texture to the brown paper and found some baby turtle clipart to replace the original.

BOOTCAMP LESSON 4 - SEA TURTLES ON BALI_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
changed baby turtle art
  • Love 12

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here is my Project 4 - Adventure Park - I downloaded the kit Carole offered: By the Stream so I chose a photo taken by my grandson Tyler-John on his trip to Bali, Indonesia in July. The title font is Harrington; the frame is from Jessica Dunn's Nana's Kitchen kit, the background paper and the stamp format from By the Stream.

BOOTCAMP LESSON 4 - SEA TURTLES ON BALI_600.jpg

Ann, simple but very nice. I only think that it would be more effective if you could have used a turtle on its own instead of the small photo, or had that photo blend in to the background. It is just a thought and no critic what so ever 😘 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ann, simple but very nice. I only think that it would be more effective if you could have used a turtle on its own instead of the small photo, or had that photo blend in to the background. It is just a thought and no critic what so ever 😘 

Thanks, Corrie. I know it's not as effective as individual elements, but I wanted to showcase the baby turtles heading out to sea after their hatch, showing they're on dry land, not in the water. It's an evolving thing... 😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

A couple of ways to "quote".  Highlight the sentence or piece of text to which you want to reply and watch for a pop up that says "quote selection" under the highlighted area and if you click that it will open a reply with the quote.

Thanks Daniel !

• Like 4

My grandson David sent me this photo of him and his girlfriend while they were in Thailand playing rugby. David educated me on the difference between Asian and African elephants. I had to download a photo of the Asian elephant from Canva. The cartoon elephant is also from Canva. The font is Asian Pacific from CF, and the texture is "elephant skin" from FF. The background and first paper are from CF and called "oriental reds." The second paper I made from a sample of Rachel's shirt. According to David, the elephants in the picture are rescued old elephants who are no longer able to work. The Thailand stamp was a free png downloaded a couple years ago. The picture frame pattern is from stripes created with cass script stripe 2.

dselephantadventure600.jpg

• Love 10

@Jeni Simpson I have had that too. The best solution I found was to log out completely of the Campus and log back in. It is great that you managed to adjust the colors to suit your needs. I am glad you stated which project you were "following" so it is easier for me to identify them to plan the draw, since your layout looks quite different than the tutorial.

@Euka Great layout. I think your photo could use a reverse shadow to make it stand out. Read about that in this article.

@Ann Seeber That is a fun layout. Your little turtles might use some "cast shadow" if you want to give it a try, but if you do, make it subtle so it does not overpower it.

@Anne LampNice layout. I feel like the background paper makes the title and the scatter "disappear" a bit. Maybe you can put a solid paper on the left side of the strip and keep that diamond one on the right. Just an idea. For your second project, it is nice but just like for Euka, you could use a reversed shadow.

@Donna Sillia Great layout. The colors are stunning.

Tomorrow, you will get Project 3. Looking forward to seeing them.

• Thanks 2