Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

At some time during the bootcamp, I'll probably try to incorporate this photo I took in Santa Maria, Spain of this gentleman.  Of course at the time I was using a 0.3 Megapixel Sony Mavica camera that used a 3.5 inch floppy disk as film.  I have a ton of photos taken with that camera during my navy days.  I've tried amping up some of those photos to 300 dpi (turning them into huge photos) but even hard for PSP's AI resizing capability to overcome some of the resolution difficulties.  It doesn't do enough to let some of the other photo fixes to truly do a good job.  See the other photo LOL for a look at the camera (and the photographer).

oldman.jpg

dan-lastdaybeard-06.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Lesson 2 - Sandwich

It is a nice day and I'm eating my sandwich outside, so I use simple plastic crockery, a place mat and a paper napkin. I have a cup of coffee and a small bowl with mayonaise to go with my sandwich. I don't like pickles, so no pickles and no meat as well but extra lettuce, unions and tomato's. Even if I'm eating alone I like to have a flower and greenery  for decoration.

table-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I now only eat whole grain bread, Arnie's" that is made in Michigan. There is only one place near me where you  can purchase it. It is the best bread that I have ever eaten and fits right in with my diet. I made the bread with a texture from Canva. The pickles, ham, cheese, onion and lettuce are also from Canva. The silverware is from some that I made with vectors. The plate is from a previous Bootcamp. The coffee texture is from CF.

dssandwich.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
change size and add shadows
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

Well my first 'play' with 2023 did not go well - I think I overworked my pick tool as it refused to work after a couple of resizes -  all it would give me was a red circle with a diagonal line through the middle.  I checked and closed all open images, I ran uninstall and did a repair, reboot  psp and pc ... still nothing.  But now works as normal on other images just not my day 1 project.  I am sharing lunch with a friend who prefers her sandwich in quarters, we have a pie and cream for dessert.

image.jpeg.f94b9a5a37c263dd7e93d04cdbab6ada.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Great to see even more people joining in the fun!

@Michele Yes, it is very important to identify what version you save your workspace from because PSP won't tell you if you use a different version, and problems will come in later.

@Donna SilliaKeyboard shortcuts or shortcuts on the workspace will just be the way to go based on your needs! Those plates for your lunch are fancy!!!

@Carolyn Herrmann Welcome to the Bootcamp and the Campus. As Ann mentioned, you have to resize images to 600 pixels and save it in jpg format to attach them to your posts.

@Ann Seeber Having done this bootcamp a few times, you must have quite a collection of sandwiches by now!

@Corrie KinkelIt looks like you are on a picnic table with that wooden background.

@Anne Lamp I think this is the first time we have had a Halloween sandwich!

@Jeni Simpson I have considered using more realistic elements in the sandwich exercise but it is so much fun to see what everyone finds when they are searching for replacement components! Where did you find all your ingredients?

@Daniel Hess Quite nice dishes too! And matching cutlery!

@Euka It is a strange behavior for the Pick tool. 

@Carolyn Don't ever start comparing yourself to others. Some have done the same exercise half a dozen times. People are just having fun and so should you. It does not matter if you don't have flowers on your table or whole wheat bread. You did the exercise perfectly as instructed. That is all you needed to do.

Keep an eye out for the first "real" project tomorrow. So far, it was a warm-up! 

And if you are not scrapbooker, try the projects anyways. Afterall, it uses the same tools in PSP than you would use for a variety of other projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carolyn Rye said:

Day 2 and I realise there are so many that are better than me. 

My Sandwich and Muffin.jpg

Carolyn, welcome to this Workshop!

We were all beginners at some point here. The most important thing is to understand the technique, and you did great, even adding a cupcake to the table!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The only person's work you should be comparing yours to is your own. It's not a contest, it's about learning and improving your skills. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Love 1

You did GREAT.  I wish I had thought to put a stirring spoon on mine for the coffee.  Your background reminds me of MANY picnic tablecloths that my mother would use over my growing up years.  Keep it up !

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hi everyone,

I seem to have missed the email for Monday (Day 2) but since I am a returning student I'm sure I'll make out OK.  I just got a new laptop and am still getting things set up, but here is my attempt at Day 1 project 1.  I am a woodturner so the picture is of some Lace Spools I was asked to make this summer.  

Day 1 - Lase Spools-500.jpg

Edited by Leslie Gifford Cook
Corrected Day -Day 1 not Day 3 (Project 1)
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

19 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

At some time during the bootcamp, I'll probably try to incorporate this photo I took in Santa Maria, Spain of this gentleman.  Of course at the time I was using a 0.3 Megapixel Sony Mavica camera that used a 3.5 inch floppy disk as film.  I have a ton of photos taken with that camera during my navy days.  I've tried amping up some of those photos to 300 dpi (turning them into huge photos) but even hard for PSP's AI resizing capability to overcome some of the resolution difficulties.  It doesn't do enough to let some of the other photo fixes to truly do a good job.  See the other photo LOL for a look at the camera (and the photographer).

oldman.jpg

dan-lastdaybeard-06.jpg

@Daniel Hess I love the picture of "The Old Salt".  Can't wait to see how you will use it.  Love what you have been doing on the Campus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Carolyn Rye said:

Carolyn, I join the others who are reminding you that you don't ever need to compare yourself or your projects with others! We all learn slowly, then get better, and develop our own ways of doing things and find our personal styles. It can take a long time, but it's so much fun along the way. I like to remind myself: learning something new is HARD until it gets easy!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My beautiful niece married the love of her life. The background and the gold heart is from CF. I made the frame and the stripes (cass stripe2 script with colors from the background). the hearts were made with the dingbat font "Heart Valentine" from CF. I filled each heart with a variation of the background using FF to make different patterns. I used layer styles on the hearts to make the darker outline. The scattered hearts are from my build a kit with a blend mode added. The title font is called "Modecque" from CF. I added a pattern and extrusion to the font. The lower case for the font was the same as the upper case but smaller. I made some of the text smaller using the pick tool and snap to guide. I used the following cass scripts for the title: alpha sheet separator; alpha file stacker; and text creator.

Carole, the alpha scripts worked perfectly in . The title was done piecemeal in the text creator because I didn't want to have to keep resizing.☺️

dsforever600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

6 hours ago, Leslie Gifford Cook said:

Hi everyone,

I seem to have missed the email for Monday (Day 2) but since I am a returning student I'm sure I'll make out OK.  I just got a new laptop and am still getting things set up, but here is my attempt at Day 3 project.  I am a woodturner so the picture is of some Lace Spools I was asked to make this summer.  

Day 1 - Lase Spools-500.jpg

Leslie I have been making lace and like your spools and lace

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Here is  project 1 and I used the photo I showed on my screenshot. I have done this bootcamp a couple of times now and I found it difficult to keep my layout simple as I nowadays use more complicated techniques. So really a good exercise to keep things more basic which I seem to have forgotten. But I found some papers to make my background, hearts and scatters in my stash.  

Bootcamp-1-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

17 hours ago, Cassel said:

Great to see even more people joining in the fun!

@Jeni Simpson I have considered using more realistic elements in the sandwich exercise but it is so much fun to see what everyone finds when they are searching for replacement components! Where did you find all your ingredients?

Carole, my psp google.io group do a weekly share and with that, I type in my search engine 'free png downloads' then the subject, eg 'slices of onion'. Many images come up and often, as with this exercise, many unusuitable,, but the odd one that can be utilised. Hope this helps someone who might not know how to find images.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Carole, my psp google.io group do a weekly share and with that, I type in my search engine 'free png downloads' then the subject, eg 'slices of onion'. Many images come up and often, as with this exercise, many unusuitable,, but the odd one that can be utilised. Hope this helps someone who might not know how to find images.

12 minutes ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Not better, Carolyn, just different from yours. Mine, last time, was similar to yours. You added a spoon for stirring your coffee, that shows initiative.

I use Canva which is not free. Canva has a free portion, but it is very limited. A friend bought mine for me because I was editing his book. My grandson who is a teacher gets the full version free from his school. Educators and students can get the full version for free. 

• Like 5