Scrap Bootcamp - September 2024

Cassel

ScrapBootcamp3-800-Title-400x300.jpg

First of all, come and say HI once you register for this Bootcamp.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer everyone up.

Everyone started as a beginner, so don't ever compare yourself to others. You will learn one tool at a time, one concept at a time and you will create one project at a time. Everyone will have different photos and possibly different supplies so every project will be different.

Once the Bootcamp is started, on September 16th, 2024, you can post your projects in here.

Remember to resize your images to about 600 pixels AND save them in jpg format, before uploading them to the gallery (check this tutorial to upload to the gallery) so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces. Try to follow the tutorials at least enough so that we can recognize what lesson you completed.

Now, let's get ready!

If you missed the registration link or if you found this thread before I announced it (some people are very observant), HERE it is. Share it around if you want.

Although this Bootcamp is mostly meant to help beginners, we won't exclude anyone for "excess experience". Some participants are back for a second (or third) round. You are always welcome. Remember that it will be the exact same tutorials so don't be surprised. I am sure you will now do something slightly different than the previous time.

Since anyone can follow the whole Bootcamp using the trial version of PaintShop Pro, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone to give it a try and see how they like the program, so share with your friends who MIGHT consider using PaintShop Pro.

The 7 tutorials will be spaced out over almost 2 weeks. This should make it easier for participants to follow without feeling stressed (it should never be stressful!).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

First in Line and ready for school. I take this class probably twice a year when offered because it's a familiar friend and the layouts inspire me by their spare design. I think I'm in my 4th year here, since 2021. Now I'm off to see what photos I can feature this go-round. Welcome all newcomers! I love it when you ask questions that I can actually answer! LOL

• Like 4

Hi, Ann you beat me to the line-up! I have taken this bootcamp a couple of times before and always try to do so once a year. It is a great rehearsal of the basic techniques! I started my scrapbooking journey in 2020 with a bootcamp and I have no regrets whatsoever doing so. A warm welcome to the newcomers and don't be intimidated by us regulars because we vividly remember our first steps into scrapbooking. Who knows maybe you inspire us with your input and it is always nice to welcome new scrapbook enthousiasts! See you soon.

• Like 4

Here's my Lesson #1 - Setting up my Workspace. I opted to not have thumbnails on my Layers display as my layouts get too long and unwieldy with them. I just lay my mouse over the layer and a thumb pops up, which is all I need to see what's what. I also have several shortcuts on my toolbars: On top is Open as a New Layer/Rename; Copy Merged, My Save script and shortcuts to JPG and PNG Optimizers. On the Layer palette I put the Edit Selection, Convert to Raster and the Repeat command. 

Setting up the Workspace.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Lesson #1

This is the setup for my workspace and I have the Materials Palette floating. I work on a laptop and although it has a relatively big screen I have to scroll much and by having the Materials floating I can move it out of the way and still have the Layers Palette in full view. Further more I have a couple of shortcuts on my toolbar for the functions I use most, which probably will be different for everybody and the same goes for the Layers palette.

This screenshot shows one of the photos that I'm planning to use. I intend to use more flower photos from my last visit to California.

Schermafbeelding 2024-09-16 193827.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Lesson #1

This is the setup for my workspace and I have the Materials Palette floating. I work on a laptop and although it has a relatively big screen I have to scroll much and by having the Materials floating I can move it out of the way and still have the Layers Palette in full view. Further more I have a couple of shortcuts on my toolbar for the functions I use most, which probably will be different for everybody and the same goes for the Layers palette.

This screenshot shows one of the photos that I'm planning to use. I intend to use more flower photos from my last visit to California.

I also use a laptop and it means a lot of scrolling. I like this idea of floating the materials palette! Thanks.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Lesson #1

Pretty cool.  I recently added a second monitor to my set up so here is a current screen shot.  It helps alot to be able to watch one of the tutorials or master classes on the left, while working along with it on the right.

Image44.jpg

Edited by Daniel Hess
  • Like 6

Looking forward to this bootcamp, it all helps me learn more.  I've been playing with Paintshop Pro for many years and, since joining Scrapbook Campus,
I am learning so much about how this programme works.

Below is my workspace, I'm working my way through the beginners' scrapbook projects. I used to use the light grey workspace and, about a year or so ago, I went to dark. I find the images stand out for me on the dark workspace.

my-workspace.jpg.28edac197c4032caef99bdf127e46a6a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Having just got a new pc - and one that will finally load 2023,  (for some reason I was not able to load 2023 on my pc or laptop - and Corel not able to help) so I thought this Boot Camp  will be a good way to set it up and play with it, it is also my 5th Boot camp.  I was able to get Windows 10 but keep getting messages to upgrade to 11 - not sure how it will work with plugins etc.  Being a new PC and program I need to decide what to copy over. I also downloaded 2020 so I can use my plugins/filters.    I prefer the dark workspace and have only added a couple of my favourites to the toolbar and the layers pallet so far.  I hope to display a Gordon River cruise to Sarah Island in Tasmania.    The sign says - Tasmania's oldest and most remote convict settlement. 

...a place of security, for the restraint of the most incorrigible ..

image.jpeg.c3d08385b58bb8e2ab2f2c567736af09.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Over the years, I've changed up my workspace. This is my latest. I have a bunch of shortcuts on the top toolbar for things I use often, including scripts. I have a few on the layers palette, too.

image.jpeg.84d3c8440086f787d19e6263d54644e1.jpeg

I use Auto Hide on palettes I want access to without having to take up space.

image.jpeg.cc2e627125ce896c26dcc36df7648b8a.jpeg

I haven't decided which pics I'll use, but here's one I might.

image.jpeg.03fb19712f9bdb85a4180dfbaa88e0d6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Welcome to this bootcamp. Hi to our regular "campers", @Ann Seeber, @Corrie Kinkel, @Donna Sillia, @Michele, @Susan Ewart, @Julie Magerka, @Daniel Hess, @Jeni Simpson. I hope to see some newcomers. Don't be shy. Come and say hi!

@Ann Seeber Removing the thumbnails is a good way to save space. If you still like it, did you know that you can also have them but change their size? It still would take more room than not having any, though, but it COULD be an option. You say you added Edit selection to the Layers toolbar? That command is there by default already.

@Corrie Kinkel I would never consider floating the Materials palette, but if it works for you, that is great. I think that is a great feature of PSP: one can set up their workspace to fit their own style, preferences, and workflow!

@Daniel HessMaybe, someday, I'll have a second monitor. In fact, when I was working from home, during the pandemic, I would give classes online, with PowerPoint presentations, and I would connect to my TV as a second monitor. I tried once with my own computer and it didn't work. I THINK the graphic card might be the problem. I am now LOOKING at upgrading... maybe.

@Jeni Simpson Images definitely stand out better on a dark background. I don't know if I am the only one but for me, a dark background tires my eyes a lot and I need a few seconds to adjust every time I have to look at something else (not on a dark background). For me, that is the reason that I kept a light grey background. But if it helps you, that is great.

@Euka I think you will be able to work with your Windows 10 for quite a while still. Good luck.

@Michele I should also use the auto-hide. I keep forgetting it is an option!

Keep posting. I want to also hear from newcomers. There are almost 100 registrants so we should have a busy thread in here. Even if you already have your PSP set up, and these lessons are just repeats, come and tell us. You can also comment on others' posts!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

BTW, if you make any changes to your essential layout, remember to go and SAVE that workspace over the last one.  I once had to reload my workspace after I got myself totally messed up in the windows dropdown and couldn't figure out how to get back to each image having its own little window that is sized to the image LOL.  It kept jumping to fit to screen or fit to window.  Actually have no idea what I did but when I reloaded the workspace it was back to normal in that regard.  However all the little extras I had put in like the open as layer shortcut with icon on the toolbar and some tweaks in the layers palette were all gone and I had to redo them.  Needless to say they are all now saved into the Dan2022.PspWorkspace file.

I always save my workspace after I make any changes. Keep in mind that the workspaces only work in the version of PSP they were created for. When I save mine, I always add the version # and date I saved. I learned the hard way.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

57 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

If that's DIFFERENT from the bootcamp I'll have to restart at "GO". 

Yes @Daniel Hess, the Bootcamp is different from the Basic Scrap. You might as well register for the bootcamp so you will get the links to the same tutorials everyone else has. It IS in the list of workshops, but it is much easier to get the emails.

• Like 2

I like to keep my workspace dark. I have a 27 inch screen so I like to have my shortcuts in the middle, along with my scripts palette. Due to my incoordination and eyesight prefer clicking a short cut rather than using keyboard shortcuts except for the "f" to bring up the fill bucket. I learned the hard way to always save my workspace. I have my favorite scripts--directional tubes, open as a layer, clip to it --bound to the task bar.  I plan to use the picture sometime during the Bootcamp. It was originally created in kaleidoscope and then treated with a FF effect called "spatter painting."  

dsworkspace.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Tried going in through the Workshops (I am logged in as Diamond Member) and for the Bootcamp it keeps asking me for a password and when I type in my password it just goes back to asking for a password.  Just to make sure I tried one of the other workshops and went right in as normal.  I'm sorry but maybe there is too much solar activity and it's messing with my electronics.  That weirdness with the paintbrush last week (and continuing) and now this.  'Shrugging my shoulders'.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

Tried going in through the Workshops (I am logged in as Diamond Member) and for the Bootcamp it keeps asking me for a password and when I type in my password it just goes back to asking for a password.  Just to make sure I tried one of the other workshops and went right in as normal.  I'm sorry but maybe there is too much solar activity and it's messing with my electronics.  That weirdness with the paintbrush last week (and continuing) and now this.  'Shrugging my shoulders'.

It is not your login password. It is the word that is beside the link in the Workshop index. For example, for the first lesson, the password is "install". 🙂

Hi!  I am using PSP 22.  My workspace is standard settings with the dark background.  I have 80,000 photos on my computer so picking an image won't be difficult.  I might use the one below.  It depends on the tutorials.  I was a member of the now defunct Artistry In Paintshop Pro group so I am a bit rusty.  Looking forward to getting started.    Ok...so I just tried to attach the image and the file is too big.  I screenshotted the photo.  Too big.  I cropped the photo.  Too big.  So might not be sharing my finished Scrapbooking.  UGGGGGGGG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Carolyn Herrmann said:

Hi!  I am using PSP 22.  My workspace is standard settings with the dark background.  I have 80,000 photos on my computer so picking an image won't be difficult.  I might use the one below.  It depends on the tutorials.  I was a member of the now defunct Artistry In Paintshop Pro group so I am a bit rusty.  Looking forward to getting started.    Ok...so I just tried to attach the image and the file is too big.  I screenshotted the photo.  Too big.  I cropped the photo.  Too big.  So might not be sharing my finished Scrapbooking.  UGGGGGGGG

Hi Carolyn, welcome to Scrap Bootcamp! When I post any photo here, I always reduce the size to 600 x whatever comes up. That usually works. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

Pretty cool.  I recently added a second monitor to my set up so here is a current screen shot.  It helps alot to be able to watch one of the tutorials or master classes on the left, while working along with it on the right.

Image44.jpg

Daniel it does, but because of my eye problems a second monitor does work for me. Instead I use my iPad where I download the tutorials. That also comes in handy because I change hands for the mouse frequently and it is easy to adjust the iPad to the left or right side of my laptop.

• Like 1