Scrapbook Bootcamp - May 2023

Cassel

49 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

I have again used a screenshot from an Explore live cam.  I added a lighter paper under the horizontal text because I didn't think it showed up enough.

my day 5 6.jpg

Wow those Explore live cams have nice screenshot resolution.  Do you get to watch them moving and choose your own screenshot.  I will have to check that out.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cassel said:

@cindy harris Great tribute to your mother. I see you might have enlarged the pink heart, which makes them blurred.

@Gerry Landreth That is a cute story about Lynda and Rudy. I would have assumed that Lynda would have perceived the vibrations of your arrival, but I guess Rudy could have helped!

Carole - Lynda slept on a 4" memory foam bed under the window that was large enough to also accommodate Rudy and River. I think Rudy had to crawl over her to get to a spot where he could look out. 

• Like 1

@Susan Ewart Dark colors make that photo stand out. And for the next one, it is ok to challenge yourself to not colorize, but follow your feeling when you get to it.

@Anne Burgess Great page. Did you make that background paper?

@Ann Seeber Good work. Interesting how you angled the custom gradient.

@Sharla If you end up making an album about all those books, you might consider either adding some journaling, sharing your thoughts about each book, or even making them into double pages, if you have a lot to say.

@Anne Lamp Adding a paper under the text is a great way to customize the layout to make it great. That means you understand the principle instead of "just" following the instructions when the situation requires a tweak.

There is still a whole week to work on the projects. Calling the dozens of silent registrants. Come on and show us what you made. If you are having difficulties, let us know. We are here to help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cassel said:

If you end up making an album about all those books, you might consider either adding some journaling, sharing your thoughts about each book, or even making them into double pages, if you have a lot to say.

Thanks for your comments Carole - all good ideas but I'm just playing at the moment. I already keep an image and summary of books that I've read in A5 folders with plastic inserts - just as an aid to remembering what I've read and listened to. Before ebooks and audio books it was easy - the books were on the shleves to see but these days a lot of mine are no longer visible in that way. What I don't do is record my thoughts and feelings about books - I rely on a feeling (and memory) being generated by the cover.

Using books as a theme for this bootcamp is pushing me to learn how to do things differently as, apart from the book images, I'm trying to explore how to create papers etc.. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Wow those Explore live cams have nice screenshot resolution.  Do you get to watch them moving and choose your own screenshot.  I will have to check that out.  

Most if not all of them have a rewind for at least several hours.  You can click anyplace on the rewind and it will start the view from there, so  you can pick whatever is on the screen at the time for a screenshot.  There is no way I could spend enough time on any of them to get a decent live pic.  The resolution is fairly good, but I do shop the pics and sometime resize them before using them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scrap Bootcamp: Lesson 5 - Yuba River Getaway - Daughter Deb took this panoramic photo as she enjoyed a getaway when she joined the California pipevine swallowtail butterflies who were sunning themselves on the rocks along the Yuba River outside Nevada City.
The title font is Berlin Kitchen, the journaling font is Goudy Old Style. Background color fill with asphalt texture, photo mat wood tile01 pattern with hardwood texture. Butterflies are from internet searches for pipevine swallowtails.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the stripe pattern; used the directions for making a plaid but stopped before adding a second, rotated layer. The colors are from the portion of the photo that shows on the far left.

YUBA RIVER GETAWAY_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
added info on stripe pattern
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

On 5/17/2023 at 12:10 AM, Susan Ewart said:

That is good to know.  I tried it and it worked, sort of.  I work with two screens and it screenprinted both.  I googled how to do only one screen and none of what any one said worked.  So the snipping tool is the best one for me so far.  I do use the snipping tool a lot and am comfortable with it.  

I know I responded before about this but I accidentally found a way to only get 1 screen when doing a print screen. I have always used "Ctrl+Print Screen" keys to do screen shots. Today I accidentally used the Alt key+Print Screen. When I did the paste as new image in PSP, it was only the one screen and the one I wanted! For me, that is the left screen (which is set as my main display in windows properties). As long as what I want to print screen is on my left screen I can use the Alt key. If it is on the right screen, I would have to use either the Print Screen alone or Ctrl-Print Screen. I tested both to see what I go with them as well.

• Like 1

@Sharla Next year, you might be interested in the Build-a-Kit workshop! It is all about creating coordinated papers and elements from all the tutorials inside the membership. You can have a look at that section in the private area for DIAMOND members to see what the participants did a couple of months ago.

@Ann Seeber Nice way to display a panoramic photo!

@Rene Marker Thanks for the tip. I don't have dual monitors so I would not have been able to help anyone on that topic.

• Thanks 2

Project 3.  

I used the kit provided "Welcome Spring" from Digital Scrapbook and by DB Magnolia.  And I used the orange glitters.  Are you sitting down?  Are you ready to hear this?  I did not  change the blue/white flower or the background paper.  I did however change the glitters (darker) ?.  I used the background paper twice, once for the background and once upside down for the mat behind the photos/glitters.  I used the an extraction of the same background paper and added texture effect>texture> blinds, then added noise, then went back to try a different size blinds on a duplicate copy and accidently applied it again to the one with the texture already on it.  it made it look more like stripes.  Same for the bottom striped one, which I made darker.  I used a scatter of little flower petals and changed the color to white (from pink) and reduced the opacity a lot.  It might not show at this resolution.  There was no metal element so I extracted a design  (part of one) from a card in the kit and then changed the color and added an inner bevel, hoping it looks like metal.  

Fonts are: Shelly (title) and Robeek (quote).  from Creative Fabrica or Google (as my font program came with google fonts as well).

Quote: found on internet search "unlikely friends", but could not find who made the quote.  it has "human" instead of "soul" that i added because, well, these arent humans.

Photos: are mine from the the same photo shoot day, weird changing weather.  The layout would have looked best if all the water was the same color as the one in the middle.  I may swap out two photos from another photo day that has matching water.  

BC Project 3-Friendship-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Project 2

I get the opportunity to sing at a couple of Special Care Homes in my province.

So I thought I would show my guitar. I don't take pictures of the residents singing along with me as there is usually a warning somewhere about taking pictures.

The background papers were from suggested packs for project 1 and 2. I did change the colours on a couple of them.

The Treble Clef was from Digital Scrapbooking.

I cannot recall where I got the musical notes.large.ScrapBootcampProject2Submitted600.jpg.d9a0970d786cb48ed25f78977827352d.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

This was inspired by an article in The Washington Post about the healing benefits of the songs of birds. The article featured sound clips of the birds in the layout - meadowlark, bobolink, and woodpecker. 

The glitters were created using Carole's script Glitters-C. The papers and elements are from a kit, Celebrations, by Whispey D'Zines. The fonts are Spring and Ernestone, both from Creative Fabrica.

I forgot to note that in the previous project, I used Carole's Smoothener script to eliminate the jagged pixels appearing in a selection's expansion. It did an amazing job.

GNL-BootcampMay-03-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Gerry Landreth said:

This was inspired by an article in The Washington Post about the healing benefits of the songs of birds. The article featured sound clips of the birds in the layout - meadowlark, bobolink, and woodpecker. 

The glitters were created using Carole's script Glitters-C. The papers and elements are from a kit, Celebrations, by Whispey D'Zines. The fonts are Spring and Ernestone, both from Creative Fabrica.

I forgot to note that in the previous project, I used Carole's Smoothener script to eliminate the jagged pixels appearing in a selection's expansion. It did an amazing job.

GNL-BootcampMay-03-600.jpg

WOWZERS!  This is beautifully done.  One the smoky days we had last Wed, I came home from work and it was eerie because no birds were flying or singing, dead silence.  A world without birdsong is a world I dont want to live in.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Mooi paars is niet Lelijk  - Google says: Beautiful purple is not ugly ?

I think God gets mad if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. - Alice Walker (paraphrased)

I can't walk or scroll by the color purple without stopping to admire it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I think God gets mad if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. - Alice Walker (paraphrased)

I can't walk or scroll by the color purple without stopping to admire it.

Mother Nature does purple wonderfully doesnt she.  The color geek in me wants to tell you Magenta-Blue is what I call purple and of course Blue is Cyan + Magenta.  So we should be loving Magenta for pouring more of itself into the mix to make that wonderful purple we all love. But, I wont be a color geek and tell you that. ?

• Love 1

@Anne Burgess Good choice of elements for that page. I would suggest you review the tutorial on resizing the images as that little boy looks a little squished on the first photo!

@Susan Ewart It is so interesting to see three different water colors. I guess the angle of the photo and the sky reflection can give great variety!

@Randy If you ever get someone to help with taking pictures, they can take one of YOU, with the residents only showing their back. That is one way around privacy if you want to give it a shot. If you want more musical elements, check out this blog post.

@Sharla I guess you are building a nice "book shelf"!

@MoniqueN. It is never too late to get started (and yes, life can be busy at times).

@Gerry Landreth If you have a link that you would like to share, you can do that in the post, but you can also include a QR Code on your layout too! Check out this blog post.

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

It is so interesting to see three different water colors. I guess the angle of the photo and the sky reflection can give great variety!

The weather was going from sunny to really dark overcast that day.  It was November and the day started out sunny, that's why I went to the park, but it turned quite dark very quickly.  The water went from having blue sky to reflect on it to a grey sky. There is trees around the pond so there is also lots of shadow from them too.    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Project 3.  

I used the kit provided "Welcome Spring" from Digital Scrapbook and by DB Magnolia.  And I used the orange glitters.  Are you sitting down?  Are you ready to hear this?  I did not  change the blue/white flower or the background paper.  I did however change the glitters (darker) ?.  I used the background paper twice, once for the background and once upside down for the mat behind the photos/glitters.  I used the an extraction of the same background paper and added texture effect>texture> blinds, then added noise, then went back to try a different size blinds on a duplicate copy and accidently applied it again to the one with the texture already on it.  it made it look more like stripes.  Same for the bottom striped one, which I made darker.  I used a scatter of little flower petals and changed the color to white (from pink) and reduced the opacity a lot.  It might not show at this resolution.  There was no metal element so I extracted a design  (part of one) from a card in the kit and then changed the color and added an inner bevel, hoping it looks like metal.  

Fonts are: Shelly (title) and Robeek (quote).  from Creative Fabrica or Google (as my font program came with google fonts as well).

Quote: found on internet search "unlikely friends", but could not find who made the quote.  it has "human" instead of "soul" that i added because, well, these arent humans.

Photos: are mine from the the same photo shoot day, weird changing weather.  The layout would have looked best if all the water was the same color as the one in the middle.  I may swap out two photos from another photo day that has matching water.  

BC Project 3-Friendship-600.jpg

Susan - I love that "just playing around" you did with the papers and I love that element.

• Love 1